Cigar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I've smoked some cigars that have been relatively bitter and harsh near the end of the smoke. I properly humidify them, and I'm not sure why this happens. The stogie smokes fine until about midway down and then starts to get this very hot bitter, burning kind of smell. Any advice.

·
Test Subject
2,651 Posts
There are people a lot more knowledgeable about cigars than me on this forum. But it sounds like they could be too wet. How do they burn? are they tunneling or scooping? Also if the burning end forms a hard cinder the cigar will turn harsh and smell and taste different..These things I believe all point to a over humidified cigar...

Jerry in Minnesota.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Are you smoking at a slow and steady pace (around 1 puff per minute)? As long as the cigar is burning cool, I usually don't taste bitterness.

Have you tried to "purge" the cigar? Sometimes if you blow through the cigar you can get rid of the bitterness for a while. Bitter flavors usually creep up at the end of a cigar if they happen at all. I've heard it's any one of the following: accumulated tars, stale smoke/gasses, excess moisture from storage or salivation during smoking. All of this tends to collect at the nub as the cigar grows shorter. The purge gets rid of this for a little while anyway. There have been a few threads about purging recently. You may want to search for them if you think this is why they're turning bitter.

Bitterness may be a sign of young tobacco. If it were young or going through the sick period, I think you'd taste it earlier though.

There are many more who know the science of all this; I don't. Hopefully they can clarify, correct or add to my reply.

Anyone else?

>>> Just went to the Habanos Forum. Sorry for the repetition.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.