Cigar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search that resulted with a few really old threads so I thought I'd restart the topic.

Anyone doing any blending they'd like to share? Not necessarily the recipes (unless you want), but the processes and experiences. I figured I'd give blending a try since I really don't think it's much different that home brewing - get a list of ingredients, study their descriptions, put together complimentary things (along with lots of research and all). The results are either going to be good or bad but it's been fun trying so far.

Among other items, I found the "Blend Your Own Pipe Tobacco - Download the FREE Color Book", which was very helpful. I also found "Homemade Navy Flake Using a Simple C-Clamp Tobacco Press", which I tried on a really small scale earlier and decided to try again. So I made a 100g blend, packed it into a 6" long 2" diameter PVC pipe with coffee filters lining each end, and cranked it down. I'm going to tighten it daily for a week, then keep it under pressure for another week, then jar it for at least a month (if not longer).

Almost as cool as making homemade bacon! Anybody else try this stuff out?

Untitled.jpg Untitled.jpg Untitled.jpg

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
I tried some and still have a few, i used a spaghetti press, worked great, a tip, warm the tobacco in the microwave before pressing, be sure not to overheat it, just needs to be warm

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@GunnyJ, how do you intend to date-stamp your jars LOL? I believe there was a thread on this topic a while ago. Can't remember who started it. Good luck and keep us posted.
Let's see...I did this yesterday so I figure the current date/time in milliseconds will work...

Labeled as: 1618960249628

I think I'll recommend this to Mac Baren :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The unveiling was today...after tightening the clamp everyday for a week the tobacco it compressed down to about four inches. It only needs an 8 ounce ball jar for 100g, the same amount kept at ribbon cut takes a 16 ounce jar. Something to think about if you have small cellaring space or are prepping for the next global event...The bottom of the press needs modification so the plug can get pushed out. I had to pull it out which caused it to become like a crumble cake (C & D How We Make Our Crumble Cake Pipe Tobaccos).

Untitled.jpg Untitled.jpg Untitled.jpg Untitled.jpg

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another blending experiment...two 100g batches sitting in airtight containers. In the middle is an espresso cup, one has rye whisky and vanilla, the other has rum and vanilla (small amounts of vanilla). And the idea is to keep them in there until the liquid has been absorbed/evaporated, then jar them up, and add to cellar.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good news - Tried blend 1 today (made it on March 8), lo and behold, it's pretty good for a first try! Cornell & Diehl here I come!!! 😂

1 - 13 of 13 Posts