Cigar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
In Mojita Mania
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you will know what this is from the last 2 years. This was originally started on ICG the first year, but I included CD last year. This year I will post on ICG, CD and CS. I think it is an even more important gesture as each year passes, as often people respond to things fresh in their minds, but the interest doesn't last and I don't want to forget what the firemen did for us on Sept. 11th or what they do on a daily basis for that matter. If you are familiar with this post and can donate this year please e-mail me, if you are not familiar and would like to know what this is about, please read the 2 posts from two years ago below. We ended up taking about 165 cigars down to the firehouse 2 years ago, 227 last year and I would love to top that amount this year, please feel free to make cards or send wishes of any kind in your package, as the firemen really like them (I take the donations sent to me out of their original packaging for ease of transport, but make sure the contents remain together). No donation is too big or too small. I will be heading down to NYC between the 17th and 23rd. This should give plenty of time for donations to be sent. As I have done in the past I will post photos shortly after the trip and I am sure the firemen will post their own thanks again. As posted previously, anyone who lives in the area (NY, CT, NJ, PA, RI, MA, etc.) is more than welcome to join me in bringing the cigars to the firehouse. Hope to hear from some of you soon and I thank all of you for taking the time to read this.

Marc

December 13th, 2001
I recently received an e-mail from someone on another board I just joined that was signed Secret Santa. The strange and wonderful thing about this e-mail was that I hadn't joined any of the festivities here or there with respect to the SS programs. I was chatting with a few ICG'ers the other night and had openly admitted to feeling inadequate this year to participating, as I have just begun to seriously build my inventory of sticks and what could I possibly give to the people here that would be new and exciting enough, given my low variety and count, as well as, budgetary constraints this particular year. The e-mail from the SS made me think on the way to school this morning (and I hope I can express myself in an understandable way). We all often have a tendency to think about the things we and others have and lean towards wanting to be on the same par as those who are a little more fortunate than us, in whatever respect is currently on our mind, if only to be able to give as we have been given to. However, no matter where we see ourselves while looking "up", there are always those who are looking "up" at us at the same time. I am aware of this throughout the year when I donate time or do what I can for those in my community who are less fortunate than I, but I should have been thinking the same with respect to this group and I am just happy that I came to my senses before it was too late. Having said that, I would appreciate it if anyone here who knows someone (could be someone who doesn't even post here, a friend of yours, etc.) or is someone who has been laid off recently (there has been a lot of that going on lately), has had a new expense that is dragging them down or for any reason is not in the position to enjoy a smoke this holiday season could please e-mail me with a snailer, so I could give to them. I don't have much, but I would love to give (and no Matt you can't e-mail me your addy under false pretenses, I know you are hoarding plenty of stuff already!!!!, just kidding). I will help as many as I can and maybe there would be a few who are in my position who would be willing to take a few names form me, if needed. There are many of you who have already been quite generous enough this year and I have been one of the recipients of that generosity, so this is an opportunity for some others to make someones holiday with an unexpected treat. "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus and he is in everyone of us."

Happy Smoking,
Marc

December 16th 2001
First, let me say that while the responses I got to the first post were certainly not expected. I was not surprised by them, you all only reaffirmed what all of us have posted at one time or another with respect to the generosity, heart and good nature of this groups members. That said, I have not received any e-mails referring anyone who is in need of smokes, so I had an idea and I passed it by one of you and got a positive response. I did some internet searches and found a firehouse in NYC that had been the subject of a newspaper article and in the article there was a quote about them "washing there trucks and smoking cigars", so I think you all might be able to see where I am going with this. I read further and found that "Rescue 4 and Engine Company 292" had lost 4 members over the past year before the WTC disaster and lost 10 in the WTC disaster. I am hoping that many of you who so generously offered to contribute for my first post will consider doing so for this. I am willing to drive down to the city unannounced and deliver whatever cigars I am sent (plus a contribution of my own and my local tobacconist today when I was there offered to contribute a box of 25). I have a friend who lives here in CT who is a firemen and he said they would really appreciate it (he also said that the firehouse probably has 45-50 members if you add up all the shifts, maybe Pete or someone else could back this up? So I am hoping to have enough for each member to have one). I don't want to make a media thing out of it, so I would drive down, give the firehouse the cigars, thank them for what they so unselfishly do (maybe get a quick snapshot to post for all of you to see and then drive home). Let me know by e-mail if you can contribute, we will need to act fairly quickly as I would like to go to NYC this Sat., so priority mail sent out on Mon. should make it to me in time. Hope to hear from some of you. Thanks.

Happy Smoking
Marc

·
Registered
623 Posts
An excellent thing Marc has going here.

Marc- I sent you 15 or so smokes, you should get them tomorrow. Please let the guys at the firehouse know I wish them a Merry Christmas and New Years!

·
In Mojita Mania
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn !!!!!!!!! Not one response from this group yet :(

·
In Mojita Mania
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oooooooooppppppps spoke to soon !!!!!!!!! Thank you Jack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woooooooooohooooooooooooo

·
In Mojita Mania
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you drill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still would love to hear from more of you :)

·
In Mojita Mania
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, I would like to thank those who have either sent donations or have them on the way. Unfortunately, tonight I was informed that one member of the firehouse we donate to was killed in the line of duty, it is truly a sad day :( I will be going down to the firehouse early next week and my visit is something the guys are looking forward to (even more now, given their fallen fellow firefighter). There is still time to get me a donation if you have not yet. In any case, please keep the thoughts of Thomas Brick's family in your hearts this holiday season.

Thanks,
Marc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.