Cigar Forums banner

Hobbies other than smokin gars and/or pipes.

4K views 90 replies 68 participants last post by  mhillsing23 
#1 ·
I was just interested in what other hobbies or collection you guys are interested in. Since I was about 10 I have been collecting fountain pens, new and vintage, and over the past 5 year I have moved to Nutcrackers. and lately Ive been getting more interested in lighters and cutters, not to mention the cigars themselves.

in terms of hobbies I enjoy building model airplanes I bring them to school and fly them around the fields. its a great place to do that.

How about you guys?:w

#2 ·
Used to collect Baseball cards. Have a ton of those that are all about 30 - 35 years old.

Now I collect lighters, cutters, cigars and cigar bands and boxes.

I also have a huge stamp collection that has been handed down three generations.

#4 ·
I collect and restore straight razors. There's nothing like finding some 100 year old english meat-chopper of a razor, dropping $25 on it, cleaning and honing it up, then shaving with it.

Its like zen. Also addicting as hell. There are a lot of nice razors out there that I don't have yet.:D

#9 ·
I use to race R/C cars and trucks. Actually only did the trucks for one year - cars for about 10. But these are not your Radio Shack cars. Lot of fun but very expensive to be/stay competitive. Nothing like plopping down $250 for the latest greatest chassis of the week just to gain a 1/10 of a second on the track.

I also dabble in Waterford - have about 25 pieces or so. Matter of fact just won a stunning little vase on EBay right before signing on here. I'm just intrigued by the clarity and the skill of the cuts from memory that these guys do. Was watching a documentary on the Titanic the other day and they showed the debris bed – camera came upon a crystal decanter and you could easily tell it was a Waterford by its design and cuts. Love to have that one!

Other than an interest in Diesels – Ford Diesels – nothing much else.

Ron

#12 ·
I used to shoot archery 3-4 times a week when i was young. After getting out of it for 10 years or so, i finally joined a club again last year. Becuase of class at night and wor all day, i could never get out to the range and shoot, now that i have nights free and access to the indoor range i cant wait to get back into it again.

Aside from that, i like to get out on the motorcycle from time to time.

#13 ·
So, what grade are you in? :D

(Antique tins and coffee makers. Go figure. Never took 'em to school, neither.)
I am a Junior in college studying aerospace engineering (grade= 15th :r )

Other than studying when I have time I grab a nice RP or padron and take my little red biplane (gas powered) out for a fly, one of my favorite liesurely activities!

Keep in mind I place the lit cigar away from the plane while Im refueling and such.

#14 ·
Well school- not a hobby but a must- Freshman in college, yippee! (sarcasm)

I play guitar, bass and drums.

A bit of a music junkie- I'm not one of those 10000 cds type of guys- but I have a collection of the stuff I like (100+ cds at the moment) and am gradually beginning to like many other forms of music.

Beyond that I love haning out with my friends, food, weightlifting, and well...um...cigars!

#15 ·
I am a Junior in college studying aerospace engineering (grade= 15th :r )

Other than studying when I have time I grab a nice RP or padron and take my little red biplane (gas powered) out for a fly, one of my favorite liesurely activities!

Keep in mind I place the lit cigar away from the plane while Im refueling and such.
Man! I was at an R/C club rally last Spring and some guy was flying a P-38 twin - maybe a 72" wingspan. It was an awesome-scary machine, set up and painted like the nightfighter. It was similar in size to the photo I just snatched at google, below. Have pix of your plane?

#20 ·
Stained glass - designing, assembling, and for a while, selling. Late last year I got a simple torch setup and started dabbling in lampworking, but then I got the full-time job and haven't had much of an opportunity to play around with it. I'd really like to be able to pick it up again one of these days!

#21 ·
Man! I was at an R/C club rally last Spring and some guy was flying a P-38 twin - maybe a 72" wingspan. It was an awesome-scary machine, set up and painted like the nightfighter. It was similar in size to the photo I just snatched at google, below. Have pix of your plane?
That thing is a Beast! Wow very nice

I dont have any pics of my plan at this time, and in fact I dont even own a camera but next time i go out ill borrow a friends camera and try to get some pics ofmy plan. However freshman year I was in Design Build Fly (DBF) our school first year in some time. and we had to build a plan to do certain tasks, that year we had to carry a payload and drop them onto targets on the ground without reloading and with a single battery charge. here are the pics

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=8130&stc=1&d=1160703186
DBF 1.jpg

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=8131&stc=1&d=1160703186
DBF 2.jpg

hopefully the pics are above Ive never posted a picture here before. But anyway those are the unfinished and finished version, needless to say the plan pictured above had a short life and never left the ground. the last two years I have been far to busy to do Design Build Fly with the school so I just play around with my plane for now.

Attachments

#24 ·
Besides being Shania Twain's boy toy....I load up my sticks (both kinds) and hit the golf courses around the area.

During the summers, I spend a lot of time at Lake Waccamaw pontooning and fishing.

For the last 32 years, one of my hobbies has been seeing how fast my wife can take my paycheck and spend it. I thought with old age, people slowed down.....it hasn't slowed my wife down any!!!! :sl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.