Cigar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hitchcock movies

Damn do I ever enjoy watching Alfred Hitchcock movies! They're packed with stunning visuals. I really dig how he can make a scene in daylight absolutely creepy without dialogue, even without the characters moving much. I'm thinking of one scene in "I Confess" when the bad guy is just standing in a doorway in broad daylight. The mood is just hair raising. I haven't seen it yet but "Strangers on a Train" has the famous tennis sequence with a similar mood. Speaking of creepy, how about the maid in "Rebecca"?

In films like "Shadow of a Doubt" the clues are all there for you in the beginning. It's fun to see how they all fall into place over the course of the movie -- there's always a good twist. "Shadow of a Doubt" also features a cigar smoking villain who's never without a pocket full of coronas.

"Rope" takes place almost entirely within a few rooms of an apartment but it's still riveting.

North by Northwest and Rear Window are probably my favorite two.

What are your favorite Hitchcock films, why?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
jimmy said:
does the board actually censor itself like that?
jimmy
Yeah, it has some default words in there that is censors...I went and removed the one that was causing issues here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i haven't seen very many hichcock movies. but your reviews are causing me to go to my local video store and check out more!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Man, I have almost every Hicthcock movie on DVD. The guy was an amazing director, could absolutle convey any emotion onto the audience with ease. Eichen, If you ever find yourself at Universial Studios, make sure to stop by the Hicthcock musem. Its an awesome place, even for those who don't like hicthcock.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've seen just about, if not every Hitchcock film made (father was a film collector). I have to say "To Catch A Thief" is my favorite. "North By Northwest" comes in a close second.
You are right though, an amazing director, what a genius he was...

G

·
"The Man Who Knew Too Much." Jimmy Stewart/Doris Day version.

Not many actress out there today that can touch her class act.

-Nero

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, the Stewart/Day version of "...Knew too Much" was a good one!

Treyjo43 -- if I ever manage to find myself over that way I'll have to check it out. The lady that runs the video store nearby actually owns the suit that Laurence Olivier (sp?) wore in the wedding sequence of "Rebbecca". She's got some other stuff too that's probably museum worthy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts