Cigar Forums banner

Himidor question

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Nature 
#1 ·
I am new to cigars within the last couple of months and my wife bought me a 25 count humidor and some cigars for my birthday.
I researched and found out how to season my humidifier, got it working correctly and keep it around 69% using Boveda Humidipaks.
My question now is, I currently don't have any cigars in it as I smoked my last two and have a few more coming for Christmas but until then there is nothing in the Humidor.
This meant my humidipaks were working harder as well and they have dried out, but I know that they can be recharged by using distilled water and placing them in a ziplock bag.

So my question now is, if I remove both humidpaks to re-charge them which may take a week or so, though I have no cigars currently that will get ruined,
will I need to re-season my humidor since it will be sitting empty with no help and likely drop a lot in percentage?
Or is it a very bad idea to leave it for the week while my packs charge without any form of humidification even though I have no cigars in it?

I can go buy two more packs if need be and run them instead so it doesn't drop, then recharge these and swap them with the other dry out.
However it would be cheaper if I can just re-use these ones now and not have to buy two more.

Thanks for the help, sorry I am pretty new to this and didn't want to do this if it means leaving my humidor in bad shape so I thought I would seek advice.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you seasoned your humi right it will be fine. you should have a hygrometer to ease your mind when you put your new stash of cigars inside when you get them. Also, You still may want to get two more humi paks to rotate in when you need to recharge the used ones.

#4 ·
I can go buy two more packs if need be and run them instead so it doesn't drop, then recharge these and swap them with the other dry out.
However it would be cheaper if I can just re-use these ones now and not have to buy two more.
do this and you will never have to worry about it again! it takes some time to recharge them, this would allow you to actively charge 2 while keeping two in your humi

#5 ·
If you seasoned your humi right it will be fine. you should have a hygrometer to ease your mind when you put your new stash of cigars inside when you get them. Also, You still may want to get two more humi paks to rotate in when you need to recharge the used ones.
I respectfully disagree with Daniel.

I am going out on a limb here so forgive me if I'm wrong.

Since your new, I'm assuming there wasn't a lot of money spent on your 25 count humidor?

Was it under $200?

What I am getting at is your humidor quality.

While it may get the job done, I wouldn't expect it to hold humidity for any amount of time without any RH regulating devices (Boveda Packs).

The RH will likely drop a substantial amount over a weeks time.

I would say YES, you will likely need to re-season that humidor.

Best idea would be to buy another packet to put in there while your recharging the other.

What are the dimensions of your humidor?
Seems to me that 1 Boveda pack should be enough to maintain a 25 count humidor. Might check Bovedas website to see what they recommend based upon your humidor dimensions.

Also, If I may suggest something...............

Try the 65% Boveda packs. When I first started out I too used the 70% RH and had a horrible time with my cigars.
At 65% RH they burn so much better IMOP.

#6 ·
I would just put a new sponge soaked with distiller water on a plastic bag and let it sit in there. Keep the wood moist and when you have stuff coming take the sponge out a week before.
And get 5 posts so we can PM you, christmas is coming!

#7 ·
You want to rehydrate your Bodevas
You want to rehydrate your humidor.
Your humidor is a compact 25..... And it is empty

I would just take a small jar lid with a sponge and distilled water, put it in the humidor with the bodeva paks on the side, and call it a day.

Pretty much what Rich says...

#8 ·
So basically what I am reading is to use your humidor as the plastic baggie to recharge the packs, and also to keep your humidor conditioned while empty. The packs will absorb excess moisture from the shot glass or sponge to keep the humidity in range. Makes sense to me.

#9 ·
You want to rehydrate your Bodevas
You want to rehydrate your humidor.
Your humidor is a compact 25..... And it is empty

I would just take a small jar lid with a sponge and distilled water, put it in the humidor with the bodeva paks on the side, and call it a day.

Pretty much what Rich says...
^^^^
This^
we have an answer!
this is what you should do.

Use a clean sponge on a lid or plastic bag so that it is not in direct contact with the humidor wood. A sponge doesn't run the risk of spilling like a shot-glass, and has exponentially greater evaporative surface area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.