Cigar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Light's on..No one's home
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my home page and browser got hijacked by some type of spyware or common hijacker. A real pain in the a$$ to get rid of but finally resolved. Downloaded SpyBot-search and destroy and with some help from SpywareInfo Support Forum eliminated the problem.

They also recommended the 1.4 Mozilla browser, http://www.mozillaoncd.com/o4.html. Supposed to be less vulnerable to spyware attack than my IE browser.

Since I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to computers, I was wondering about this browser and any recommendations for a good firewall or other type of protection to prevent any future hijacking.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I use mozilla, IMHO it is much better than IE. The swicth will be no problem at all, it's exactly like IE but better. The biggest plus is the popup suppression and the ability to browser several websites at the sametime in the same window. As far as a firewall I suggest ZoneAlarm, its completely free and warks like a charm, plus it is not very complicated to use for those who aren't exactly computer literate.:D

·
The Cheese stands alone
2,749 Posts
Mozilla is an excellent choice for a browser with some excellent features that IE doesn't have. Such as the popup blocker and the tab feature which lets you open different webpages in the same browser window with tabs to switch back and forth. If you have any experience with Netscape the two are very similar, Mozilla is a open sourced browser built on the netscape. The only problem with mozilla is on a few websites it changes the formatting and doesn't show some things one example is the "Select Manufacturer" button in the top25cigars database, and the rich text editor in hotmail. and sometimes ti runs a little slow Another browser you may want to check out is Opera. Extremely powerful and lots of nice features like pop up blocker and the tabs again. You can download it for free but are encouraged to pay to register it if you keep it. But you can use it for free as long as you need to "try it out"
As far as a firewall I would suggest Sygate Personal Firewall, Zone Alarm, and Tiny Personal Firewall.
You can get both browsers and the three firewalls and Download .com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts