Cigar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, where in Deutschland are you? I spent some time over there myself and loved it. The beer could almost make you forget about cigars....almost.

·
-
11,412 Posts
i'm sitting in Hohenfels right now. i was stationed here from 92-94, but just back for a TDY with my job.

speaking of beer, i JUST finished packing my "work" box with a rack of krystal weizen... i even bought bubble wrap and wrapped each individual bottle, put some underneath each bottle inside the rack, and am going to find some cardboard to cover the top (also with bubble wrap above the bottles) then tape it all up...

woohooo... american beers can't hold their own against this stuff. i had 2 nice hefe-weizens last night with my first ever Monte #2.

was just over here in Dec, up in Grafenwhoer, and i fly back on monday... then i turn right around and come back HERE on the 19th of Feb til the 12th of Mar with "coppertops" team.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How far are you from Munich (one of my favorite cities)? I stayed mainly in Dortmund my first time there (brewing capitol of Germany).

I enjoyed a few weizen beers when I was there, but they arent my favorite. I love anything made by Ayinger though, which I believe is brewed in Bayern. Ive only tried it back here in the states, but their Celebrator Doppelbock is excellent if you like a heavier beer.

My girlfriend is studying abroad in France right now, and hopefully I will meet up with her (in Germany) when school lets out here. I'd like to visit some of the friends I made while there when I studied abroad.

·
-
11,412 Posts
i'm roughly 1.5 hours away (north-east) of Munich. it's right off of A3.

the brand i picked up is actually brewed 3 blocks from the hotel i'm in (glossner). i had a few of them and figured they were better than most i've had, so i picked up a rack....

if you are over here in the last half of feb/first half of march, let me know.

G

·
Stop it! You guys are making me salivate. Man, I miss it over there [except the Hohenfels & Graf ftx stuff]. I hope to be over there in July on the way back from Nigeria. Bayern and Tyroler area for me! :D

I had this black syrupy beer in Dusseldorf. I swear that stuff was 100 proof! ;)

Cheers,

4A

·
-
11,412 Posts
gonna be a sad day for me when we move all this to Poland...
although i hear they're keeping this and graf open for the "striker" brigades... like the ONLY places left in germany that we'll have troops.

heard they're bring back the big red 1 to ft. riley by the end of next year.

G

·
Poland! You are going to love it! I wish I could get another gig there [they have some natural gas from coalbeds that they produce].

Imagine a U.S. troop-free Germany. I guess they will start taking down those signs that say "members only" in English when we are all gone.

I used to find those signs hilariuos. Some of the my German friends would take me into those tanzcafes and introduce me to the owners, so I could get in regularly. So I ask what's up with those signs. Owner says they like to keep the troops out because they steal all the women, and also start brawls. :D

4A

P.S. Is "Wild-Chicken" training site still open? Hate that place! :u

·
-
11,412 Posts
lol, wild-chicken... NOPE, closed WHEN I WAS STATIONED HERE!! that's '94.

i actually had to go around and make a video for this old german civilian who was retiring from graf. he was in the german army, taken prisoner, got out and started working on post in like '46 or something... he was retiring so they grabbed a couple high speed combat camera guys, and we had to go all over 7 ATC interviewing people... we drove up to "wild-chicken" and it was a ghost town. just buildings all empty, weeds overgrowing the parking lots, etc. looked bad.... then there was post HQ. about 4-5 people working there, THAT WAS IT! post cmmndr, his sec., and a few other guys.... we drove all the way up there for a 15 minute interview.

yep, it'll be interesting to see what poland has to offer.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Poland is a great place. I saw the most beautiful woman on earth there. She was handing out water at a walking race (only in Poland). She looked like Anna Kournikova x10...but she could speak neither English nor German, so I was out of luck (not that I would have been in luck had she been able to speak either).

We were in Krakow and it is a wonderful area with some of the friendliest people you will ever meet.

Four Aces, mmm...Dusseldorf....probably one of their altbiers. Kind of bitter, not harsh, and hoppy. Ive spent a lot of time there. My brother (much older than I am) hosted a foreign exchange student from Dusseldorf, so whenever I get a chance to go to Europe, I make a point to visit him. Its a great very wealthy city.

IHT, unfortunately, I wont be there until April. Its too bad, because I will be heading right for the Munich area. That is where my ancestors are from. Someday I hope to track it all down.

·
-
11,412 Posts
lol, y'know, i've never thought of tracking down where my ancestors came from... i doubt anyone left alive can remember... maybe i'll ask my dad if his dad remembers where his dad grew up in germany? lol...

hell, i still have to ask my mom about her dad (he died right after WWII) and her mom didn't re-marry until late 60's (another WWII vet - navy this time).

speaking of that... my grandpa was the american legion president for the state of missouri for most of the last 70's and almost all of the 80s... all 3 of my grandpa's were in WWII, my dad was in the air force between korea/vietnam, have some uncles that were in korea, my older brother missed operation just cause, but is now starting his 2nd week in Kuwait.

me, i was unloading my luggage after AIT when we started bombing Iraq the first time... my "mission essential" tast was to sit by a phone in case anyone called at night.. what a waste of my time. they were even requesting combat cameramen over there at the time. odd that more than half that went didn't want to, and the ones that wanted to weren't allowed (cuz i was answering a phone - that never rang).

ah well, still doing my duty as a civvy now.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quite the military history you have. My grandfather was a UDT in WWII and won numerous medals and honor for capturing a group of German soldiers with just one other UDT. My father was sent to Korea (Army) and two uncles were in the Navy during peacetime. My brothers were about 5 years too young for Vietnam, and I cant get in (wrist surgery, repaired ruptured disk, and an atrial septal defect). Youd think playing lacrosse for two years with a ruptured disk would make me tough enough for the Marines...but I guess not. Ill just wave my flag and support the finest men and women we have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.