Cigar Forums banner

81 - 100 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
13,086 Posts
I don't mind bringing smokes for other people, I'd be more than happy to do it. I just worry that I'd completely screw it up is all. Like I think it would be difficult for a new Scotch drinker to pick a Scotch that I might really enjoy. Don't get me wrong I'd appreciate the effort but I'd be a little embarassed to provide someone with the worst smoke they have every had.

I think the answer for me is simply when I go to herf's to buy sticks off of c25's top 25 list specifically for the purpose of the herf (cause I'm probably not read for those yet.
I think a better answer is for you to bring smokes that YOU enjoy. And to share those. One thing you DON'T want to do is to come off as trying to impress. Just be yourself - relax and enjoy.

·
RIP CS!
4,050 Posts
Don't get me wrong I'd appreciate the effort but I'd be a little embarassed to provide someone with the worst smoke they have every had.

I think the answer for me is simply when I go to herf's to buy sticks off of c25's top 25 list specifically for the purpose of the herf (cause I'm probably not read for those yet.
I think gifting is more about the act of gifting the cigar more than the cigar itself. If doesn't matter much what you gift, but in gifting you are recognizing that the person you gifted the cigar to is valued enough to have something from your collection, however humble it may be. Kind of like breaking bread for all to share.

·
Registered
13,086 Posts
I think gifting is more about the act of gifting the cigar more than the cigar itself. If doesn't matter much what you gift, but in gifting you are recognizing that the person you gifted the cigar to is valued enough to have something from your collection, however humble it may be. Kind of like breaking bread for all to share.
Wow. That is an excellent analogy, Tony.

·
Gentleman Jim Stogie
3,299 Posts
I think a better answer is for you to bring smokes that YOU enjoy. And to share those. One thing you DON'T want to do is to come off as trying to impress. Just be yourself - relax and enjoy.
Thanks for the advice. I had begun to read reviews and such and what I'd seen was when the review rated the cigar poorly I saw the words "bland, boring, lacking in flavor" etc a lot of bad reviews. I was just thinking that the cigars I'm capable of enjoying right now are typically described as mild but I'd bet that you guys would think that the were bland while I would be bowled over with flavor.

And I'd think that while I was giving you guys the kindergarten smokes that you'd be handing me these lethal weapons of good taste. And while I'm not trying to impress anyone I'd be embarrassed if someone gave me a Ferrari and I reciprocated with a Ford. Somewhere here it says "Pay it forward is a lifestyle" and I'm completely OK searching out interesting cigars that old heads may not have tried yet so I can hold up my side of the bargain even if I may not be ready for those smokes myself.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a rich guy but as I've seen many 9+ rated cigars that a lot of guys have not tried yet (according to reviews) that could be had for $15 or less I think I can do my part to make sure BOTL (my first cigar acronym!!!!!!!) can have an interesting and hopefully even amazing smoke. And if it isn't at a B&M (I'm on a roll now!!!!!) I can supply Scotch to beat the band.

KIT, RSVP, AFL-CIO!

Crap, why do I always takke a good thing too far…….

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Ahem......Wisconsin / Douche Bag Crew

Sorry Tom, but you're the only one representing Illinois ;)
We have Illinois reps...they just don't cross the border, the Sallys!! :c

OK, Illinois MoBsters...you know who you are....you need to commit to the June MoB Herf or the Brewers II Herf....toot sweet!! :tu

·
no..not THAT Dave!
13,657 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I had begun to read reviews and such and what I'd seen was when the review rated the cigar poorly I saw the words "bland, boring, lacking in flavor" etc a lot of bad reviews. I was just thinking that the cigars I'm capable of enjoying right now are typically described as mild but I'd bet that you guys would think that the were bland while I would be bowled over with flavor.

And I'd think that while I was giving you guys the kindergarten smokes that you'd be handing me these lethal weapons of good taste. And while I'm not trying to impress anyone I'd be embarrassed if someone gave me a Ferrari and I reciprocated with a Ford. Somewhere here it says "Pay it forward is a lifestyle" and I'm completely OK searching out interesting cigars that old heads may not have tried yet so I can hold up my side of the bargain even if I may not be ready for those smokes myself.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a rich guy but as I've seen many 9+ rated cigars that a lot of guys have not tried yet (according to reviews) that could be had for $15 or less I think I can do my part to make sure BOTL (my first cigar acronym!!!!!!!) can have an interesting and hopefully even amazing smoke. And if it isn't at a B&M (I'm on a roll now!!!!!) I can supply Scotch to beat the band.

KIT, RSVP, AFL-CIO!

Crap, why do I always takke a good thing too far…….
If you are really a lover of the leaf your experiences will multiply at a amazing rate,trust me.
As far as herfing goes,everyone wants to see you not what you have.Hell,it will be a year for me at CS on the 15th.
I've already been to 3 or 4 herfs in Alexandria at RGDs.I've hosted 3,traveled to 1 and another is coming up.There will be some herfs around the beltway this summer,you can count on that.We'd love to see you come.
If you can contribute something you like(not cigars),like Scotch maybe:dr
thats great.Most importantly bring you!:D
By the way,my names Dave...Whats yours?(did i miss it?)

·
Old Man Herfer
1,518 Posts
As has been mentioned....enjoy the herf experience. It's as much about the camaraderie as it is the smokes. In fact, I swear to you, even some of the sticks that I have had on other occasions that I found to be somewhat bland, I have found at a herf that those sticks taste incredibly delicious.

Do NOT be intimidated by your assortment of sticks you're bringing to the herf...with the exception, perhaps, of White Owls, Dutch Masters, Swisher Sweets, and the like! Bring sticks that you personally enjoy to the herf, and gift them to those in attendance. I typically like to take an abundance of sticks, either a humi or traveldor filled with a random variety. When I go...it is my intent that I DO NOT want to come home with the sticks I brought. They are my gift to those in attendance. I have never been disappointed yet...because I come home with both a great experience, some excellent sticks that I have either purchased at the herf location or were gifted to me, and without doubt...some of the finest new friends and brothers that you'll ever want! Don't sweat the herf etiquette stuff...relax and have a great time.

Lastly, it is customary that you pay for the first two lap dances for each of the brothers, if held at a strip club. If not...then a bottle of Crown Royal for each brother in attendance always works nicely, as well. :ss

·
Registered
211 Posts
jkim, thanks for asking the question- I'm sure there's more than myself and the few that chymed in that needed some clarification.

·
Gentleman Jim Stogie
3,299 Posts
If you are really a lover of the leaf your experiences will multiply.....another is coming up......By the way,my names Dave...Whats yours?(did i miss it?)
Pleased to meet you Dave, I'm Bryan. Is the one thats coming up open to new people? When is it?

·
Gentleman Jim Stogie
3,299 Posts
Lastly, it is customary that you pay for the first two lap dances for each of the brothers, if held at a strip club. If not...then a bottle of Crown Royal for each brother in attendance always works nicely, as well. :ss
While I typically don't have issues helping supporting a young lady in her quest for......higher education please refer back to the "I'm not rich" previous post.

·
no..not THAT Dave!
13,657 Posts
Pleased to meet you Dave, I'm Bryan. Is the one thats coming up open to new people? When is it?
Bryan,like it or not you are a member of the CS family now, so to answer your question...Hells yea you are invited!:ss
Theres not one in the works yet but i'd love to have you up for a smoke.I'm prolly inside a hour travel time,45 minutes i think.Route 15 east to 70 east to New Market,MD.Shoot me a PM if you would like to come up and have that first cigar.I would be honored!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Bryan,like it or not you are a member of the CS family now, so to answer your question...Hells yea you are invited!:ss
Theres not one in the works yet but i'd love to have you up for a smoke.I'm prolly inside a hour travel time,45 minutes i think.Route 15 east to 70 east to New Market,MD.Shoot me a PM if you would like to come up and have that first cigar.I would be honored!
This man saids it best!!! enjoy that first smoke, it will be one you'll never forget..

·
Gentleman Jim Stogie
3,299 Posts
Shoot me a PM if you would like to come up and have that first cigar.I would be honored!
Thanks for the invite Dave.

I'm hosting some buddies tomorrow and I will be having my first (and quite possibly second and third, I did buy 20 after all!) with them tomorrow. Then its two weekends of business travel, then a family vacation.

But come the second week of June we will be having smoke number X Dave, count on it.

·
no..not THAT Dave!
13,657 Posts
Thanks for the invite Dave.

I'm hosting some buddies tomorrow and I will be having my first (and quite possibly second and third, I did buy 20 after all!) with them tomorrow. Then its two weekends of business travel, then a family vacation.

But come the second week of June we will be having smoke number X Dave, count on it.
Sounds great Bryan,pick a date and we will set up a herf...:ss

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Watch out for the guy in the kilt handing out strawberries.

81 - 100 of 152 Posts