Cigar Forums banner

61 - 80 of 152 Posts

·
Old Man Herfer
1,518 Posts
jkim....now you need to post on which of the herfing etiquette items you actually used or didn't find worthwhile! Inquiring minds want to know!!

·
OLUA
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
well, especially the stuff about not being worried about impressing anybody and just having a good time took a lot of pressure off my shoulders, as i didn't have to worry about having great sticks to share with everyone. Also, the stuff about gifted cigars was good cause otherwise i would have been afraid to take cigars especially if I knew i wasn't going to be able to smoke them there. I also ate before i got there, which wasn't necessary at this herf since dave (trishield) provided an awesome spread for us. Everyone was really generous and I had a great time. Definitely looking forward to my next herf.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If you go to herfs, bring lots of cigars. Not only will you have a better selection for yourself to smoke but you will have some cigars to reciprocate with in case somebody gives you one (happens all the time). Just remember that cigar smokers are the most generous group of people you will ever meet. Be yourself and have a good time. :w

·
Old Man Herfer
1,518 Posts
well, especially the stuff about not being worried about impressing anybody and just having a good time took a lot of pressure off my shoulders, as i didn't have to worry about having great sticks to share with everyone. Also, the stuff about gifted cigars was good cause otherwise i would have been afraid to take cigars especially if I knew i wasn't going to be able to smoke them there. I also ate before i got there, which wasn't necessary at this herf since dave (trishield) provided an awesome spread for us. Everyone was really generous and I had a great time. Definitely looking forward to my next herf.
Great....nice to hear you popped you cherry with a good time and good experience!

·
Gentleman Jim Stogie
3,299 Posts
I now have an understanding of what a herf is, but I don't understand the word or the acronym itself. Can someone toss out a history lesson on that?

Second question; I think I'd like to herf and I could certainly bring many cigars. I don't have the experience to say if they would "good" per se, but I could buy a mixed box for the occasion. However I seriously don't think I'd ever smoke more than one in a day. So would it be bad form if I only smoked one cigar at a herf? Would it be bad form if I smoked like a third of several?

Also what is a B&M? Cause if its like S&M I don't have the warcquone for it…….

And please tell me that etiquette dictates of someone who has the same "equipment" as I do starts showing off their pink fur thong that I'm allowed to run screaming from the herf????

·
Elder Jungle Leader - Not
3,189 Posts
I now have an understanding of what a herf is, but I don't understand the word or the acronym itself. Can someone toss out a history lesson on that?
The first known use of the word "herf" as follows:

Subject: worst cigars IMHO
1996/11/21
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.smokers.cigars

I bought a Canaria d'Oro(sic?)Robusto out of curiousity
and it was really a horrible, stale,grassy smoke with a
peed-on taste. I gave it about 2 inches before I put it
out. Also, anything Macanudo...I tried several when I
first began smoking cigars and found them all to be very
bland and almost impossible to herf, they were so tightly
wrapped. I think the list of `Mediocre Smokes' for most
folks would be huge.

Second question; I think I'd like to herf and I could certainly bring many cigars. I don't have the experience to say if they would "good" per se, but I could buy a mixed box for the occasion. However I seriously don't think I'd ever smoke more than one in a day. So would it be bad form if I only smoked one cigar at a herf? Would it be bad form if I smoked like a third of several?
It's not required that you bring smokes for anyone but yourself. If you have them to share, great - otherwise don't worry about it. When others give you smokes - it's not required that you return the favor. You can if you want - but again not required. Smoke what you want - whether it's one or more or parts of some. I know that there can be some anxiety over a first herf - but really - it's nothing more than sitting around enjoying a good cigar, maybe some food and drink, shooting the shit - with like minded folks.

Also what is a B&M? Cause if its like S&M I don't have the warcquone for it&#8230;&#8230;.
Stands for Brick and Mortar. As in your local Cigar store.

And please tell me that etiquette dictates of someone who has the same "equipment" as I do starts showing off their pink fur thong that I'm allowed to run screaming from the herf????
I think this only happens in California - so no problems elsewhere.

:ss

Ron

·
Registered
13,086 Posts
Oh yea,and the S.H.I.T. in California meets once a week i think and they are sponsering the MegaMobHerf...
Me confused by above statement? I know they meet weekly, but?
I agree, Tony. Dave's statement IS confusing.

"the S.H.I.T. in California meets once a week" - Correct.

"they are sponsering the MegaMobHerf" - they meaning the MoB crew

·
no..not THAT Dave!
13,657 Posts

ooops...mybad....:sl

·
RIP CS!
4,050 Posts

I kinda figured that's what he meant but it made me wonder if I missed something. We are always looking for corporate sponsors ;) however .

·
RIP CS!
4,050 Posts
Ahem......Wisconsin / Illinois Crew. That is all.
I am sure that is what he meant. Sometimes you have to listen to what's not being said in order to get the message. :tu We love our IL brethren as much as they love us...

·
Best Bring Kryptonite!
6,383 Posts
If the herf is at someone's house, I would definitely bring a cigar or a bottle of wine for the host.

If the herf is at a B&M, buy something there as a thank you for letting you sit and smoke in their business.

If someone hands you a cigar, and you are unable to reciprocate, say "Thank you". (credit to Bruce for that one). ;)
Tom's a class-act! Heed his words of wisdom!

·
Gentleman Jim Stogie
3,299 Posts
I don't mind bringing smokes for other people, I'd be more than happy to do it. I just worry that I'd completely screw it up is all. Like I think it would be difficult for a new Scotch drinker to pick a Scotch that I might really enjoy. Don't get me wrong I'd appreciate the effort but I'd be a little embarassed to provide someone with the worst smoke they have every had.

I think the answer for me is simply when I go to herf's to buy sticks off of c25's top 25 list specifically for the purpose of the herf (cause I'm probably not read for those yet.

61 - 80 of 152 Posts