Cigar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Herb Brooks, the great USA hockey coach died today in a car accident returning from the USA Hockey Hall of Fame. My guess is that he had a heart attack, causing the single car roll-over - but we will have to wait and see.

Herb was "old school." He picked as many players by determination & heart as he did by talent. If the player 'wanted it enough', he played. Witness the 1980 USA Oympic Hockey team or any of his (3)NCAA Champion U of Minn. Hockey teams.

Ever wonder why he only coached the 1980 & 2002 Olympic teams? He disagreed virulently with USA Hockey's procedures, expenditures & 'mission.' He started a grass-roots program in Minnesota a couple of years ago for 'Elite' high school age players to improve their speed, strength & creativeness. His criteria for choosing these 'elite' players? "They ought to be at least 15 years old and really want to play the game. Elite players? I don't want elite players, I want REAL players who will do anything to improve their skills. Don't keep anyone out of this program as long as they work hard, improve and return for more every day."

Herb, I miss you already...

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Quite the downer. As a fellow Minnesotan, hockey player, and hockey fan this is a sad day. Herb was one of the originals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts