Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been checking out Puff for a while. First time posting.

I've been smoking on and off for a while but only recently discovered cbid... and it was over from there.

With winter coming, I'm particularly interested in little cigars with a big flavor. Just tonight while enjoying a glass of bourbon, I lit up my first Hemingway short story. Quite frankly, I think I'm in love. It's everything I love in a cigar: complexity, big flavor, great construction... good to the nub.

My first instinct was to whip out my credit card but, as a newer smoker (and something of a novice), I have limited humidor space. Time to consult the experts.

So far the only two little cigars I've had that really pack the flavor I'm looking for have been the Short Story and Petit Tatuajes. I used to love Hoyo de Monterrey Rothschilds, but they just seem so ho-hum now.

This leads me to two questions:

1) Are there any full bodied smaller cigars that hold a candle to the Short Story (other than the Petit Tat)?

2) How does the rest of the Hemingway line compare to this little gem?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I've been a huge fan of the Hemingway line since they came out. I think they all compare very well for different reasons. It depends on how long you want to spend smoking and enjoying subtle differences in each size. How they burn and the different flavor profiles you get. But there is, in my opinion, a core Hemingway "taste" if you will that's accented differently by the different sizes.

The first question is harder to answer and I will defer to the vast knowledge of others on this board.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If you like the Petite Tats and the Short Story, in my opinion you already have two of the better short smokes. I'd suggest trying the other small Tatuajes, there are a few more in that size range.

·
Puff Jedi
114 Posts
I really like the Rocky Patel vintage '90s. You can get them in a perfecto size basically like the SS (think Famous has them in that size) and I think also petite corona and a "junior" size. Its not similar to the SS in flavor really (nothing that I've found is, so I'll watch this thread closely!).

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I was bombed a 1866 it looks similar to a SS but I haven't smoked it yet.

Not to thread jack but can someone comment on the 1866. Might this be what he is looking for?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like the Rocky Patel vintage '90s. You can get them in a perfecto size basically like the SS (think Famous has them in that size) and I think also petite corona and a "junior" size. Its not similar to the SS in flavor really (nothing that I've found is, so I'll watch this thread closely!).
Just looking up the RP '90s perfectos now. Thanks for the tip, these look pretty promising. I think I'll get a 5-er.

Going to try some Padron Corticos too. I've had some Padrons that really knocked my socks off, so I'm excited to see how they do with a 35RG

·
Registered
81 Posts
I started smoking Chateau Fuente Maduros 17 years ago when they were $1.50 a stick, progressed to the Don Carlos and then Hemingways (similar taste I think), settled on the SS as my everyday smoke. Santa brought be 12 Between The Lines last Christmas Wow! Terrific smoke! Found a box of SS Maduros last night, can't wait to try 'em

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Just looking up the RP '90s perfectos now. Thanks for the tip, these look pretty promising. I think I'll get a 5-er.
You might think about the '92s as well. I like them better than the '90s, but not everyone shares that opinion.

Neither is much like the SS in flavor, though.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Yeah, I actually haven't tried the '92s yet but its high on my list. If I end up liking them better than the '90 I will definitely like them a lot!
BTW - be sure and look for the 2nds in both these blends! Great price point, and they smoke just like the firsts. No band to save for posterity, though ...:noidea:

·
Registered
212 Posts
First off, welcome I am new myself. Secondly, I love the short story myself and just pulled the trigger on a box of work of art maduros. I will let you know how those go.

As far as a cigar comparable, I am not sure you will find one. I recently picked up a 5 er of a new house brand from CI called "Est 1844" in a similar size format to the short story. I have got to say, not too shabby. You should be able to pick up a 5er on cibid for a reasonable price. I would be interested in what you think.

Good Times,
Johnnie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.