Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bolivar RC

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my end of a box split that a very generous Egyptian kinda guy here set up. I'm going to let them sit in the humi for a couple of days but I'll probably smoke one on Thursday evening.

Now of course like every shy smoker approaching his first Cuban, I want my first time to be special. :D So which one should I smoke?

Choices are:
RASS
Boli RC
PSD4
VR Famoso

All of them are from Oct 04 except for the Bolivar which is from 03. Trying to decide what to smoke first—what a great dilemma to have. :D

·
Registered
803 Posts
I think the most important thing here is to go into it without expectations.

Wait til Thursday light one up and enjoy the ride.

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Well DGenerate I can't wait to dive into the RASS but Greg did recommend the PSD4's very highly. So I think that would probably be yer best bet.

You know, something to knock you on your ass for the first time:D

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Go with the young PSD4 or RASS. These need to be smoked young or with 18 months of age on them.

You cant go wrong with any of them IMHO.
Here are my impressions of each of these smokes.

RASS - Ramon Allones have a nice woody/molasses flavor

Boli RC - Woody with slight spice - I am on a Bolivar kick now, they are very good

PSD4 - Fruity/Spicy

VR Famoso - Expresso/Woody taste. If you are lucky you will have one like I smoked last july. It was like smoking 3 cigars in one. Strong and spicy the first 1/3rd, then chocolate expresso the 2nd third...then the final third there was a nice creamy Cohiba-like taste.

I have found that when "on" these all have that great Cuban twang.

I hope these tasting notes help you choose what to smoke. Remember these are just my impressions.....if your cigars taste flat DO NOT PANIC!!! Cuban cigars do go through a sick period and may need some more time in the humidor.

Fire up and enjoy!

·
Registered
258 Posts
1f1fan said:
Go with the young PSD4 or RASS. .......
Fire up and enjoy!
Ditto what 1f1fan said. My first was a PSD4. Damn, its been a long road. Let me tell you, that first one was the best.... So were the next 50 or so of those, then the 75 bolivars, then........ :)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I voted for the PSD4, cause they can be great before they go sick, and IHT has already been the guinea pig for you.

What was the box code on these PSD's? I've got some MRK OCT 04's that I've not dug into yet. I guess I'd better follow my own advise

·
-
11,412 Posts
i just got on the ground here in Korea (it's 1015pm tuesday night), and while going through my PMs, i told d. generate which one to smoke first (before i saw this topic).

i agree the young PSD4s are very nice, and the 1 i had from this box split was awesome.

but, i voted for the VR Famosos.
why?
as most have said, the boli requires some age, and i've read the same about the RASS'.
but why the VR?
well, they're very good, not uber strong, and i've never been disappointed in them...
and the most important reason? if he smokes the PSD4 first and falls in love with it, everything else will just pale in comparison. <-- i made that mistake myself.

you can't go wrong with any of them, but 3 of the 4 can be fairly strong, so smoke them all after din-din (and eat your veggies).

btw - 14 hours non-stop from chicago to Incheon Korea sucks ass.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
IHT said:
i just got on the ground here in Korea (it's 1015pm tuesday night), and while going through my PMs, i told d. generate which one to smoke first (before i saw this topic).

i agree the young PSD4s are very nice, and the 1 i had from this box split was awesome.

but, i voted for the VR Famosos.
why?
as most have said, the boli requires some age, and i've read the same about the RASS'.
but why the VR?
well, they're very good, not uber strong, and i've never been disappointed in them...
and the most important reason? if he smokes the PSD4 first and falls in love with it, everything else will just pale in comparison. <-- i made that mistake myself.

you can't go wrong with any of them, but 3 of the 4 can be fairly strong, so smoke them all after din-din (and eat your veggies).

btw - 14 hours non-stop from chicago to Incheon Korea sucks ass.
Greg,

Glad to see you made it to Korea! I've heard the 04 Famosos are smoking very, very well and would be a great start for a dark side newbie. I say he should just smoke a different one every night, Thurs - Sun then let them rest for a while.....you better start saving some $$$....the force is strong my friend!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I was part of this box split also. I'm going to let these rest for a couple weeks (well most of them anyway :D ). Another extreamly nice BOTL sent me some other ISOM's that I'm dying to try too, so now I really have a decision to make, which to smoke next????

Boy I like having this type of problem!!!!

·
-
11,412 Posts
that other guy is a jerk. trust me, i know! :SM
next thing you know, he'll be over in your house, hitting on your wife.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
They are all good smokes. I'm partial to the Boli's myself. The D4's are great when on, but they can have a long sick period where they taste like crap. I would ask which ones the vendor you are using recommends. Also try to get something with a couple years age or more. Thats another drawback of the D4's. You won't find any with age. I've had great luck with 02 Boli R.C.'s. If you like a full, complex cigar get the Boli's.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can hardly wait until Thursday now. I am planning on having one each night from Thurs to Sun, because I don't think I could have them in the house knowing that I haven't tried them. After that I'm planning on slowing down. I hope. :D

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Man, you can't go wrong with any of them!

Have fun!

:w

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I was about to post the same question when I saw this. If I go for the psd4 I will probably be a stingy a$$ and probably smoke one cigar once or twice a month. That means that I will have this box for one year until my piggybank fills up again. Will I run into their sick period? If so, what would be another good, comparable option?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The Boli and the D4 are the fullest of the smokes listed. The sick period on the D4's Ive had started at two or three months age and lasted over a year. You can find R.C.'s with a couple years age, you won't find any D4's with more than a few months. IMO they are not worth smoking sick. If you have plenty of smokes and can lay them aside a couple years they are good smokes. The R.C.'s on the other hand are pretty darn good with a couple years. I know a lot of guys on here don't feel the D4's reach their potential until 5 years.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Fredster got me hooked on Bolivars a while back and even inspired a box purchase (I haven't forgotten Fredster, and will be reciprocating soon) and I have to say, there's something about their spicy sweet flavour that I've yet to find even roughly approximated in any domestic. The Monte#2s are like this as well, but they ain't on your list. So, I'd do the Boli first.

D. Generate said:
I just got my end of a box split that a very generous Egyptian kinda guy here set up. I'm going to let them sit in the humi for a couple of days but I'll probably smoke one on Thursday evening.

Now of course like every shy smoker approaching his first Cuban, I want my first time to be special. :D So which one should I smoke?

Choices are:
RASS
Boli RC
PSD4
VR Famoso

All of them are from Oct 04 except for the Bolivar which is from 03. Trying to decide what to smoke first-what a great dilemma to have. :D

1 - 20 of 85 Posts