Cigar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have recently acquired this cigar box, but for the life of me, can not find any information out about it. I'm hoping that someone on here will be able to help me.

Any information, will be really appreciated.

Many thanks
Cigar box.jpg Cigar Box2.jpg Cigar Box 3.jpeg Cigar box4.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
8,337 Posts
Cool box. So many cigar brands came and went in the old days, it's almost impossible to identify them. Just enjoy it for what it is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bird-Dog, would you have any idea on how old the box is? And information on the wording?

·
Super Moderator
8,337 Posts
Thanks Bird-Dog, would you have any idea on how old the box is? And information on the wording?
The only clue to age I can think of, barring finding some documentation of the brand, is it having "Maduro" stamped on the bottom. According to one chronicler - the only real mention of maduro history I could find with a quick Internet search - says maduros did not exist prior to about 40 years ago.

Maduro Wrappers

I'm not entirely sure if that's true; I was only very casually into cigars back then. But, I could have sworn the little Braniff No.3 Maduro dry-cured cigars I sometimes smoked way-back-when were around in the 1970's, if not before.

True, from the looks of it, I would have thought the box is older. But maybe that was intentional. Not only did many brands come and go way back in the forgotten yonder of the 19th and early-20th centuries, but many more new ones popped up and then disappeared in the cigar boom of the 1990's.

Regardless, it looks like a very nicely made box. Varnished wood (apparently), rounded corners, tight joints, and especially the screwed on hinges are not typical of a slap-dash job. I'd cherish it if I were you, even without knowing its origins.

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,998 Posts
Hi

I have recently acquired this cigar box, but for the life of me, can not find any information out about it. I'm hoping that someone on here will be able to help me.

Any information, will be really appreciated.

Many thanks View attachment 307430 View attachment 307431 View attachment 307432 View attachment 307433 View attachment 307430 View attachment 307431 View attachment 307432 View attachment 307433
Try Nick over at Gotham Museum!
I dunno if he answers e-mails any more.
But if it is important to you give it a shot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts