Cigar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my folks live very close to stevenson ranch... i can't get thru to them and the news here is sparse at best. can anybody fill me in with details about the fire in stevenson ranch? thanks.

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
http://wildfire.cr.usgs.gov/ca_geomac/viewer.htm

Robmcd-

I live in San Diego and am not getting much coverage of the fires in Simi Valley. I did just talk to a friend of mine who's a CHP officer up there in Santa Clarita. Apparently the fire came right up to Stevenson Ranch last night but the firefighters made a stand against it and drove it back. He say's a couple of the houses were burned, not sure how badly, but that the fire has moved a ways south now. A lot will depend on the wind. Most of the phone lines and power are probably down. I'm guessing your parents don't have a cell phone? Check the link above, it may help you get an idea of where the fire currently is. My best to you and your family in this trying time.
SB

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info...

(the thought of my parents having a cell phone is a good one and it's great to have some levity at a time like this... my dad bought a pc but he can't remember how to use it - he did remember that you can't just power it off but that's as far as it goes. old folks can't deal with pressing the start button to stop something!)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i finally got thru to my mom this afternoon... she said so far everything is ok, but the news changes constantly. she said one minute they say the fire is under control, then the wind shifts and they report it's not under control. interstate 5 is closed up there because they want to make sure the fire doesn't jump the fwy.

i told her to get an emergency cell phone and she said she just got one from radio shack. i said "great, what's the number?" ... then she went into a 15 min story about how she can't remember where she wrote the number and how can she find out what it is. you gotta love em. anyway- my brother is back in town and i can get details from him.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Whoa!

Heroing experience. My best to your parents and all my SoCal herf friends.

MoTheMan

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I'm glad everything is okay David. Now teach them how to use that cell phone. LOL

I hope that these fires can be put under control sometime soon. It's a shame that lives and homes have been lost.

·
Registered
831 Posts
this has been an absolutely terrifying experience! I live right ontop of Stevenson Ranch and saw the fire when it first began and also when it swung back around again....when the 5 closed I was really afraid of the worst! Ash in the back yard, the house, smoke friggin everywhere and the traffic SUCKS!!! I really feel for all those people who keep having to evacuate or have lost their homes. Hats off to the firefighters!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes- i was thinking about you filly and hoped you might reply. i guess everything is ok now??? the last thing i heard was they were expecting the fire to move west, but the winds changed and the fire started to move east... that's what scared me and when i tried to call, i got a message that all phone lines were down. my brother (who lives in mission viejo) was out of town so he was of no use.

anyway- thanks for all your thoughts...

is the 5 open now?

·
Registered
831 Posts
5 is open, the fire is about 30% contained and the smoke is down this morning. The old road is still closed ($&%(#$^ (that's how I get to work ) and everyone and their mother was on the 5 this morning. I had to get to school for a 7AM lab and left at 6:25 and still didn't get to school until 7:15 and it's only about 15 miles away! The fire is about out and I am sure by tomorrow with the forcast of sprinkles, the fire will be almost gone. Your family should be safe. :)

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Gawd,

Just how close to the fires some of you are really scares me.

Glad to hear that you're alright Filly.

Hope there are no tragic tales from any SoCal herfs.

Finally heard from cousins of mine in S.D. yeaterday. Fire was heading their way and they were warned to be ready to evacuate but luckily for them, the wind changed direction and headed it the other way.

Too much! Just keep hoping for the best to everyone.

MoTheMan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts