Cigar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been smoking for.....3 cigars now. Clearly I am now an expert :)
Picked up a pipe some months back. Kinda enjoyed it but not the maintenance and it never felt quite right. Thought I would try a cigar and really liked it! The wife pushed me in more by buying a humidor for an early fathers day.
Sadly I did not really like my 2nd cigar. Hoping to learn a few things and narrow down what I like and especially what I don't.
Just trying to enjoy some of the finer things in life now. (crap, too many expensive hobbies)

·
Super Moderator
8,610 Posts
Welcome. And kudos to your wife for encouraging you to pursue your interests!

What was the 1st cigar that you liked?
What was the 2nd one that you didn't like?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone!

@Bird-Dog 1st one I liked Romeo y Julieta 1875 (my third one wouldn't burn correctly)
2nd one Camacho Connecticut BxP. Burned to fast and hot. Ash didn't seem to want to stay past an inch. Maybe just me?

·
Super Moderator
8,610 Posts
Thanks everyone!

@Bird-Dog 1st one I liked Romeo y Julieta 1875 (my third one wouldn't burn correctly)
2nd one Camacho Connecticut BxP. Burned to fast and hot. Ash didn't seem to want to stay past an inch. Maybe just me?
Glad to hear you weren't suckered into flavored/infused to start with. Thumbs up!

Connecticut shade wrappers are a typical recommendation for newbs - supposed to be milder or something. Not a big fan of their flavor profile myself, so I don't see why anyone else has to like them just because they're new at it. That RyJ 1875 rates "medium", so if you're already good with that there's no reason to seek out mild ones. Try a few different types of wrapper - corojo, Ecuador Habano, broadleaf, maduro, etc... Likewise, explore different origins - Dominican (the RyJ), Nicaraguan, Honduran. You'll start to find your wheelhouse, and can branch out from there brand-by-brand.

Condition could have something to do with it too. Maybe and maybe not. But, cigars are like that. A certain amount of inconsistency is expected. And, I wouldn't worry about whether it holds a long ash. IMO the idea that quality is correlated to the length of the ash is an urban myth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts