Cigar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried this smoke for the first time yesterday as a gift from a friend. I liked a lot of things about this cigar, except the lack of flavor. Not that the flavors were bad, just not enough of them. It’s very mild for a maduro. Earthy flavors dominated, with some fruity hints throughout. Perfect burn, draw, and a great aroma. Very nice looking cigar. I guess it would go well with a Bud Light and a good game of poker. Good for a newbie who wants to venture into the maduros. Good breakfast cigar or one for the golf course.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Re: Helix Maduro Torpedo

I have to say I like the Helix Maduro Robusto, the x550. It is mild, but not bad. It was a good first cigar for me in the maduro range and sparked my interest in trying more maduros. I like it better than the regular wrapper (with the blue band), and I like the purple band better.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

I"ve had a few of these and they really remind me of a macanudo. A pretty mild cigar with a slight nutty taste. I keep a few of the helix around when I'm in the mood for something mild or to give to my friends that can't take a stronger smoke.

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts

ProSpkr said:
I tried this smoke for the first time yesterday as a gift from a friend. I liked a lot of things about this cigar, except the lack of flavor. Not that the flavors were bad, just not enough of them. It's very mild for a maduro. Earthy flavors dominated, with some fruity hints throughout. Perfect burn, draw, and a great aroma. Very nice looking cigar. I guess it would go well with a Bud Light and a good game of poker. Good for a newbie who wants to venture into the maduros. Good breakfast cigar or one for the golf course.
I've actually been looking for a cigar like this for a newb that wants to get into cigars. I used to smoke these and they are readily available. A nice stick for a new guy, enough flavor and very mellow smoke. Thx for reminding me!

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts

dadof3illinois said:
I"ve had a few of these and they really remind me of a macanudo. A pretty mild cigar with a slight nutty taste. I keep a few of the helix around when I'm in the mood for something mild or to give to my friends that can't take a stronger smoke.
The perfect starter cigar. Reminds me of a Mac also, but substantially less expensive. I think I smoked my 1st & last Helix a coupla years ago (not long after they 1st came out) & found nothing offensive about them & actually liked the maduro enough to say that I'd buy a box (never did though, too much competition).

·
Registered
585 Posts

I tried one of these guys not expecting much, but I was very pleasantly surprised. It was mild, but not bland at all. I bought a second to confirm, and now I plan to get more - this makes for a good morning cigar on the weekend!

·
Registered
3,536 Posts

I mostly smoke RP edges and CAO Brazilias right now but I smoke a Helix Maduro every Monday Morning at 0:dark-thirty on my way to the airport. Very light strength but good draw. Great breakfast (or in lieu of breakfast) cigar.

Scottie

·
Registered
78 Posts
Although it seems that mild = newbe cigar, I've smoked cigars for many years and still find times when a mild cigar is just right. In fact, I prefer mild cigars for my everyday smokes and save the stronger sticks for weekend evenings.

What I can't bring myself to smoke are bland cigars.

The Helix sounds like it would deserve a little space in my humidor. Thanks for the review....

Todd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.