Cigar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Test Subject
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got HD put in our area by our cable company..I was waiting for this and will now be looking for a HDTV.. I am looking for info from people that have HDTV and what king of set they recommend...I am also thinking of Plasma or LCD... ,

Jerry in Minnesota.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
I recently puchased a Toshiba 46" rear-projection widescreen HDTV. http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=46H84

I really like the TV, have not had any problems in the past 2 months and the HD picture is very, very nice.

You may want to consider DLP over the Plasma or LCD.
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=46HM84

The DLP sets are priced more than a regular rear projection set, but less than some Plasma or LCD sets. I would have purchased a DLP but didn't have the extra $$ - If it will fit into your budget check them out.

Find out what type of HD connection the cable box uses (HDMI, DVI) and get your cables from Buy.com - a lot cheaper than buying at Best Buy or Circuit City.

The nextag site Enyafan looks good also.

Shoot me a pm if you have any more questions.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Off topic a little.... I have a Panasonic rear projection HDTV... A spider crawled behind the screen and left little webs.... I saw the spider one day... then the next day I saw the webs... so I'm pretty sure that's what it is.... Is anyone here an engineer? Anyone know if I can open up the set and clean it myself without messing up convergence?

Thanks guys!

MoD

p.s. - I've noticed that I always ask questions on this board and never know the answers to anyone else's... Hope I'm not a drag!!!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I've had a 51" Toshiba widescreen HDTV for a couple of years now and love it. Switched over from directv to Dish and get several HD channels for the last few months. All I can say is if you thought DVD was good, you'll get a big kick out of HD! With the 5.1 SS, it's better than most movie theaters.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Got a 53" Hitachi Wide screen HDTV,and Time Warner just made a digital HDTV package available...I think I'm gonna trade my movie chanel package for it...Same price!,and theres never any decent flicks on the movie chanels anyway.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Hey C2000....couple questions.

1. How big is the room?

2. How far will you be sitting from the set?

3. How much do you want to spend?

4. Do you have little kids who could do damage to the TV (buddy just had to replace his because his daughter sprayed cleaner into it LOL)?

5. How much do you want to spend? (yes I know I repeated the question on purpose :D )

The only other thing I can add is do a lot of research, go to Consumer Reports, check prices online. Now a days TV's are an enormous investment. I can tell you a list of TVs and what they cost, but they might not fit into your budget/room size/situation.

I have been into Home Theater for the last 5 years. I can help, but I need more info.

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
I was timid and bought a 30" Phillips HDTV from Costco earlier this year. It cost $700 and I have a Cable reciever for HDTV (extra $5 a month), it recieves only 12 channels at this time in HDTV. I get ABC, NBC, HBO, Discovery, PBS, WB, FOX, some others that Comcast has exclusive rights to.....I have about 200 channels but really I mainly watch only the HDTV channels because the clarity is amazing. We haven't recieved CBS in HDTV, but I hear it's in the works and will be available within the year along with 3 other channels.

I also have a 700 watt SS system that really pumps up the sound, plus the obligatory progressive scan DVD.....movies are vastly improved.

I will be moving this TV out of our rec room sometime next year and replacing it with a Big Screen. I know it is hard to wait...but, I'm hedging my bets on this factory http://www.forbes.com/technology/fe...5_AEF_0506-6293-FNG.JNV.KOR.JPN.CMP.TLE..html

Good Luck! :) The HDTV experience has been great in Seattle, I'm never going back!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.