Cigar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Light's on..No one's home
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got these in a few days ago, Dec03 GKI, as part of a box split. I have read a lot of good reviews stating these were possible the best of the 03 ELS and were also smoking good right now. So with my usual amount of patience pertaining to a new smoke I decided to toast one.

The smokes in this box are a medium brown/molted grey color and a little sloppy looking between the cap and band. I expected better @ $300.00 a box, but what the hell its a Cuban... so deal with it!

I found one that was firm with no soft spots. It fired up quickly with a nice aroma and an easy draw. The first dozen or so draws had that lousy vegetal taste, but this was soon replaced with a creamy toasted tobacco taste with some sweet and salty flavors in the background. These tastes went to and fro for the first third and were quite enjoyable and mild. Nearing the mid-point the distinct tastes of vanilla and coffee came to the forefront with some spice and a leathery taste in the background. As the smoke became more complex it also became more full bodied.

I could taste the smoke becoming harsher in the back of my throat with about a third to go, but still creamy and smooth through the sinuses. Go figure! Anyway, time to purge. Damn, what a ball of flame this produced! Everything smoothed out for a while and then the tastes acquired more of a burnt edge on them. I was buzzing pretty good by this time, yet enjoying the yo-yo effect of the different tastes as you never knew which one would be next.
Then as I was nubbing this chaotic stick the creamy vanilla sweetness returned until I let it go out.

This EL is very young and will certainly improve with age. Hopefully, as the harshness mellows with age, the flavors will become richer and keep their complexity. I will be buying more of these for aging and waiting for the day when this wonderfully chaotic and enjoyable smoke turns into a true Cuban paragon.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Re: HDM Piramides EL 2003

Bob,

The first dozen or so draws had that lousy vegetal taste
that sounds just awful. I am going to hold off until I get back from Bragg to fire up one of these bad boys. If my taste buds are back :mad:

I'm glad that it got better after the first dozen draws. Great review though............wonder what mine will taste like in about 3 weeks?

Ctop

:pu

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts

okie2 said:
Just got these in a few days ago. So with my usual amount of patience pertaining to a new smoke I decided to toast one.

I could taste the smoke becoming harsher in the back of my throat with about a third to go, but still creamy and smooth through the sinuses. Go figure! Anyway, time to purge. Damn, what a ball of flame this produced! Everything smoothed out for a while and then the tastes acquired more of a burnt edge on them. I was buzzing pretty good by this time, yet enjoying the yo-yo effect of the different tastes as you never knew which one would be next.
Then as I was nubbing this chaotic stick the creamy vanilla sweetness returned until I let it go out.
Hey Okie2, is it OK if I use your review for a template of my take on the "Indiana Jones Temple of Doom" ride at Disneyland? :r

PS Even being forewarned I'm taking that ride in a few days. :D

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

relaxnsmoke said:
PS Even being forewarned I'm taking that ride in a few days. :D
Atta boy Dave! Put the spurs to it and don't let that sumb*tch throw your a$$ in the weeds! ;) Oh, did I mention that I smoked mine with my morning coffee before eating. Fresh palate and all that good buzz! :p :D

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts

Smoked the HdM Piramides El last night, I think it's awesome. This is a dark ride, not for the timid. The one I smoked was still green, but I had a perfect burn and the smoke coming off this cigar smelled great, actually was sweetening the air, so to say, if you like cigar smoke. The draw was great and by 10 puffs in I knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore. What can I say, it just tasted great, even though the newness was there, a real charmer. One of the better cigars of the year, top 10 for sure, I enjoyed the hell out of it for what it is today. What it will become in the near future is amazing. Nubbed it, then one of my co-workers who I gave a few puffs, dug it out of the tray, paperclipped it and smoked a few more puffs, I'm not a slobberer (is that a word?) :w Rich full flavor to spare in each puff. Buzz factor 9.7.......your gonna get a buzz ;)

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hey Dave, glad you enjoyed smoking the EL. I was beginning to wonder if you were gonna smoke it or stroke it forever :rolleyes:! Sure is an enjoyable and interesting young smoke. Some of the earlier releases, before Oct., are going into a sick period. Need to smoke 'em up over the next couple of months or plan on laying them down for a "while"??. Agree with you on the buzz factor. It will rock your world while you are enjoying the many different tastes ! I believe I'll go for another ride over this weekend! :)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

I think these have a lot of potential, but I agree they need some age to become great. This is usually the case with the heavier blended cigars. I liked it, but I'm not running out to buy a bunch. It's strange the blend is so strong, the rest of the Hoyo line is pretty much mild-med (except the little LeHoyos).

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

I am going to try and have one when I get home. My taste seems to be coming back. I hope. I had a HdM Excalibur last night with IHT and it actually tasted like a bloody cigar. I also bought a Partagas Black label which I am going to try and smoke tonight. When I do smoke it, I will post my thoughts on it. They have been sitting for about 2 weeks now, and by the time I get the chance to smoke it it would have been sitting for 3 weeks. I'm excited to smoke a Cuban and actually taste it.

·
Registered
130 Posts

I got four of these in 2 samplers of 03 LE's, The first two were smoked with a bud at the local smoke shop... we both thought they were not as good as the RJY Hermosa # 1's we smoke the week before from the sampler I had... although I did light one up about three months later and it was very good... I did pull the trigger on a box to set down a while... In a couple of years these should be really great IMHO... Bman :w :w

·
-
11,412 Posts

unfortunately, mike IS getting his taste back (and that means he wont' be giving away his cigars).

but judging by his facial expressions, that nasty NC partagas black label was just that.... NASTY.
---
back on topic though, i can't wait to fire up one of the HDM EL Piramides. woohooo...

of course, i've been holding onto a psd2 el for a while as well.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

Yeah I am..........HAHAHAHAHAHA. And man did that Partigas Black tasted awfull, just nasty :pu :c

·
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Glad you finally found your toothbrush!! :D

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

:D :D

Thanks Bob

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

Hey I was finally able to sit down and enjoy one of these last night guys. And WOW, I had your reaction Dave. Except mine wasn't really strong(buzz wise). But it was/is a full flavored cigar. Yes a little green, but burned well. Smelled great, Daves right, mine sweetened the air as well. I didn't have that normal smokey smell after I was done with it. Which was tooooo soon. We had some bad storms come through last nigh which lead me to leaving it sit for a while. I re lit it, but it never seemed to really lite back up. But WOW, chocolate and nuts with that wonderful earthy taste. I REALLY enjoyed almost all of this baby. I will smoke another one later on, either this week or next. Look forward to those Parti EL Dave.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Thanks for the review. I have yet to try this stick but it sounds like it is one to age.

·
Banned
8,745 Posts

Pulled a couple out for the second half of the game. These are coming along. One of the best el's I have smoked. A very nice underlying sweetness. Fragrant bouquet. Fairly strong out the gate and settled im to a nice rich deep flavor. These have a long way to go but have plenty of oomph right now.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Nice to hear they're developing well Dave. Been atleast 6 months or more since I had one. When they first came out I found them more enjoyable and flavourful then both the Party Piramide EL and the Cohiba Piramide EL. These where one of my favorite EL's right there with the original PSD3 EL.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.