Cigar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chain link fenced in back yard, 3 dogs, with a pet door. I live within city limits.

A few months ago my neighbor moved away. She was diagnosed with alzheimers & her kids moved her close to them. They have her house for sale. It is sitting empty.

Here's my problem. About once a day, a rabbit hides behind her ac unit behind her house. My dogs see it & go ballistic until I come out & throw little sticks at the rabbit & make it bolt.

About once a day...it's driving me nuts & I can imagine how my neighbors feel about it. I'm told the citie's animal control guy probably won't help. I'm also told that rabbits are damn hard to catch in a live trap. Somone suggested mothballs. I joked about shooting the rabbit/s & my wife took me seriously (henpecking ensued). :frown:

Anyone have an idea how to evict the furry little bastage?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I live in an area ripe with rabbits. Those that make it past the "crunchy" stage (I have a border collie that likes to raid rabbit nests and munch on the little ones) I use several different methods to keep them away. Whenever I brush my pooches the hair goes to around the bushes. I also use products that have some type of predator urine in them. You can get them at any type of garden center (Home Depot, Menards, Lowes). They seem to work ok. I also dump my ashes and butts around my bushes, as well as old coffee grounds. If all else fails, BB guns work wonders.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll check our local garden centers.

I though about sprinkling a bunch of ground red pepper behind the ac unit, but figured I'd give the kid that mows & weeds their yard a nasty surprise. LOL

·
~Satori's Dad~
5,689 Posts
BB guns work wonders.
My thoughts exaclty.... catch it when the wife is away and bust its arse!!

The idea of the animal-rid spray is also a first line of defense too.
Or, put up some rat snap traps by the AC unit... then you will either scared the beejesus out of the rabbit, or slow it down enough for you to catch it and take it off far-far away from you and your dogs.

·
Mr. Pi$$ n Vinegar
17,954 Posts
Sprinkle dried blood meal around the perimeter. Blood meal can be found at most garden centers. Rabbits do not like the smell and will generally avoid the area.

You can also get catch and release traps as I have used before....take the rabbit(s) about 5 miles away where they can thrive elsewhere...not around neighborhoods for somebody else to deal with.

·
ENIGMA
5,666 Posts
Since some of us here are making idiotic suggestions because of a small inconvenience, I'd like to contribute. Get rid of your dogs. No more barking.

On a more serious note, Gary has some good ideas. Try them out. Learn to live with nature.

·
CRT #1984, CRA #99974873
5,420 Posts
Since some of us here are making idiotic suggestions because of a small inconvenience, I'd like to contribute. Get rid of your dogs. No more barking.
My suggestion is much simpler: buy a new house.

·
Kat Krap Kontanment Media
583 Posts
.22 rifle works well I like to smoke the rabbit with onions and jalapenos in the body cavity tastes good.

But if you are interested in not having to bloody your hands just chuck Fido over the fence and let him have a good time of it.

When I was having a problem with the rabbits eating my grass I kept my 22 loaded with silent 22 rounds (no powder just primer) and commenced to laying down the law but I got tired of disposing of the bodies so I started to shoot the ears. Wouldnt you know that I never shot one with a pierced ear.

Sorry those weren't the most cruelty free political correct answers but neither am I.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I have the same problem in my backyard. Rabbits figured out which flowers tasted the best and had a salad everyday for lunch. I tried different types of pepper to no avail, figured I was just spicing up their salad. best stuff I tried is a spray from HD. It's a deer and rabbit spray. Stinks to high heaven but lets my flowers grow beyond the tasty stage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
RABBIT STEW,GRILLED RABBIT,FRIED RABBIT with mashed tatars,black-eyed peas and cornbread!!! my mouth is watering. 22shorts work well

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the great suggestions! :)

Also thanks for all the recipe ideas. I wonder if we've had our last freeze...rabbit fever is a concern in wild rabbits in spring & summer...I know a few "good ole boys" around here that claim they know how to skin one to avoid rabbit fever.

Perhaps I should let all three over the fence & have a neighborhood betting pool on which dog eats the rabbit's ass first...I have a silky terrier (male), a rat terrier (female) & a dachsund/chihauhau mix (female). Normally, I'd put my money on a rat terrier, but she's kind've overweight & lazy & that little silky is a bad little mother, so my money's on him. LOL

·
Nee "Tashaz"
11,733 Posts
Thanks for all the great suggestions! :)

Also thanks for all the recipe ideas. I wonder if we've had our last freeze...rabbit fever is a concern in wild rabbits in spring & summer...I know a few "good ole boys" around here that claim they know how to skin one to avoid rabbit fever.

Perhaps I should let all three over the fence & have a neighborhood betting pool on which dog eats the rabbit's ass first...I have a silky terrier (male), a rat terrier (female) & a dachsund/chihauhau mix (female). Normally, I'd put my money on a rat terrier, but she's kind've overweight & lazy & that little silky is a bad little mother, so my money's on him. LOL
LMAO. Do we get to wager as well?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts