Cigar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Mass just became smoke free. I know the bars are suffering for biz. How are the cigar shops doing in your neck of the woods? Are sales down do you think?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think very few people are buying cigars in bulk from shops now, most buy off the internet. I myself just go to the shop to buy singles, and even then I don't buy from them that often I just use thier lounge:w

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
major boom here... every possible place is brining in cigars to sell. i see more and more people smoking cigars and fewer smoking cigarettes. (no tax on cigars in oregon) i believe it is due to the increase in the cost of cigarettes and the ever increasing taxes. also, cigarettes do cost much less here than in WA which is 'bout 30 miles north of me. we get alot of WA people coming down to avoid the sales tax and lower cigarette taxes. i however go up there to a local cigar shop for my singles, but rely on the almighty internet for boxes.

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
also... notice the media is becoming more accepting of cigars. look at all the movies made in the last year or so and you will see it. cigars everywhere. after all of the anti-smoking (cigarettes) efforts people seem to accept cigars much easier than watching someone smoke a cigarette.

·
Registered
42 Posts
you've got to wonder why that is. most people i meet after they find out i smoke cigars i get "eww you like those nasty things" or "damn those things stink.

there's several restaurants here in richmond that have signs saying no cigar or pipe smoking. now tell me you'd rather smell cigarette smoke than pipe smoke.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Actually,
A disturbing trend started in California.

I certainly thought that the number was declining right after the law change, but after I got into the Industry I had some facts shown to me.

If we all recall the grand valliant battle the tobacco industry aka RJ Reynolds and others..had waged in the press with campagin after campaign to rally the smokers to vote against the law in California..

After California laws changed - Didn't anyone wonder why the same fights where not run in the states that changed afterwards?
Take New York fo instance... The Industry giants just kept quiet, and it wasn't becasue they didn't want to "waste money"

The disturbing trend is what I call the rebellion factor..
Based upon wholesale deliveries actually occurring, sales jumped over 27% right after the "Non Smoking" rules went into effect. They have stayed steady at a higher rate than "Pre Law change levels."

Now seaonal sales have been a slump for many shops I service - but these slumps in sales can be attributed to other factors.

I do think that the anti smoking laws flat out suck and dwindle just a bit more of our fredoms from us. I also think that this will eventually hurt the Industry in the long run but the imeadiate effect was to see profits increase so they naturaly said "sure go ahead" make it a law..

The "state and federal" Taxation is the thing that will drive the local tobaconists into a shadow of what they once where as more and more mainstream smokers find thier way onto the web to locate their items at a lower rate.

A funny thing is that we "gorrilas" whom are used to doing Internet shopping - we do not represent a very significant portion of the buying public. The normal guy simply relies upon the standard shop and occasional mail order brochure they recieve.

Hb

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In my area we used to have 6 "cigar shops" after the boom 3 of those went belly up. The other 3 seemed to be doing well, One is a Tinder Box in the mall, and the other 2 are cigar/wine shops. In the past year there have been three new shops open. 1 is a cigar/news shop, 1 is a bar with a walk in humidor, and the third is a cigar/wine shop. I have been to all of them and the new ones offer nothing special and I wonder how long they will survive.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Parts of Texas are starting that antismoking crap, as well. Dallas just passed one, which forced CA to do the Big Smoke in Arlinton, now my beloved Austin is trying to pull that stunt. How can i enjoy a nice jazz jam session if i can't have my Hoyo with my whiskey?!?!?

The Grinch has spoken.

:sb

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just wondering if any of ya'll saw the good cigar smoking publicity that ESPN aired over the weekend. Chris Berman did a segment with Florida Marlins Manager Jack McKeon. Trader Jack lit one up on camera and gave Boomer a puff too. McKeon lit it up and said something to the effect of "ya gotta love a good cigar....smells good, tastes good". Baseball seems to have a lot more cigar smokers than most other sports - CA did a good article on the Yankees' Tino Martinez and his cigar background in Tampa.

Just be glad not everyone is a cigar lover.....imagine how hard it would be to find a good smoke if everyone was buying them. And then take a guess at which direction quality would go as manufacturers tried to meet the demand. Those of us who do enjoy a good cigar or twelve can sit back and enjoy what everyone else is missing out on.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't know, I wish more people would give cigars at least a chance instead of catagorizing them in the same class as cigarette smokers.
At least more people would get a chance to enjoy one of the finest pleasures in life....cigars!
:w

·
Registered
546 Posts
CA also talked about a mini-cigar boom. I read it on their website. they talked about how a lot of hip hop stars are getting into the cigar act and, of course, younglings who follow them are starting to emulate them. the last thing I need is another boom to drive the prices up again, and make it hard to find those beautiful Hoyo's I love.

Grinch OUT!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts