Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of a HD. OK, I'll admit it I have the bug.
I thought I found an 04 Dyna Low Rider with 6000 miles and lots of chrome and screaming eagle pipes but it didn't work out...

I'm looking at Low Riders, Fat Bob, Wide Glide and Fat Boy's. I'm leaning toward the Fat Bob though.

I'm 6'2" 190, have ridden a lot of dirt bikes, three wheelers, and had a Honda V65 but all over 20 years ago. I've been on my brother's Heritage classic soft tail and the 04 low rider. I liked the way the low rider felt better but have not been on a Fat boy or Fat Bob. I tend to like the looks of the bobtail fender and the small fender up front like the Fat Bob and the forward controls.

Opinions?

· Registered
95 Posts
I hated the solid wheels on the Fatboy. When it was windy, you could feel it hit the wheels. I also had a Wide Glide..which was pretty cool.

If you can do without the name brand, try looking at the Yamaha Star brand. Amazing attention to detail, big pushrod sound, great warranty..etc...

If you want something nostalgic and very cool looking, check out a KawasakiDrifter. Looks like and Inidan...

· Registered
3,875 Posts
From what you said you liked, I would say go for the wide glide, but then again Im biased :D

I bought mine new in Oct 01 and have 60,000 + on her. I replaced the stator a few months back, but other than that no troubles. First Harley Ive owned that didnt leak. :r

If you are going new, this is the last year for the wide glide and it has the screaming eagle motor on it. I never liked the fat tires and solid wheels of a fatboy, but its all a matter of preference. I like the stretched look and 21" wheel on my wide glide. Enjoy what you do get and take a riders safety class if you already havent. Ive been riding for 25+ years and took it a few years ago and still learned a few things.

Post some pics when you do get it :tu

· Registered
3,354 Posts
well, I have ridden almost every model over the last 15 years. If you are real interested in a HD, I have a 2004 Super Glide with lots of extras and only 1200 miles (yes, 1200 miles). I have been thinking of selling it. Let me know and I can send you a few pics. It rides like a dream but does not coexist well with me being on the road 45 weeks a year for my job.

scottie

· Slip Slidin Away
141 Posts
I ride an 03 100th anny Lowrider and still wish I got a wide Glide or a Fat boy but It was my first bike of any kind. However Because it was going to be my first bike I almost got a 1200 sporty and boy am I glad I went for the Lowrider. I hardly ever have the chance to ride because I'm so busy at work during the Bike season here in NJ.

· Registered
258 Posts
I ride an 03 100th anny Lowrider and still wish I got a wide Glide or a Fat boy but It was my first bike of any kind. However Because it was going to be my first bike I almost got a 1200 sporty and boy am I glad I went for the Lowrider. I hardly ever have the chance to ride because I'm so busy at work during the Bike season here in NJ.
A friend of mine got a Fatboy and replaced the front wheel - he couldn't take the wind push he felt on the roads.

I have a Honda 1100, and I am thinking EG for my next bike. Love the bags, lights and looks of it.:tu

skullnrose - lots of good roads here in Jersey - drop me a line if you have some time to ride. This Sat. I'm riding to Famous Smoke Shop in Easton Pa. for their Arganese Party. Great roads up there! Free beer & food too :chk

· Registered
876 Posts
well, I have ridden almost every model over the last 15 years. If you are real interested in a HD, I have a 2004 Super Glide with lots of extras and only 1200 miles (yes, 1200 miles). I have been thinking of selling it. Let me know and I can send you a few pics. It rides like a dream but does not coexist well with me being on the road 45 weeks a year for my job.

scottie
I've got an 03 and love this bike!!!

· Registered
321 Posts
The only way to go is a Roadking. It is so versatile with the removable windshield and removable figerglass saddle bags. Comfortable for the longer rides, but great for around town as well. I absolutely love my Roadking. And for a guy your size, you'll need a big bike. I know this, I am 6-04. :2

· Retired Cigar Whore
2,715 Posts
Any bike you get will be fine.
Some better than others, most of it will be a personal preference.
Any HD but remember what it stands for: "hundred dollars"
every time you walk into the dealer you'll spend a "hundred dollars". :chk:chk at first that is.

My choices for over 6'
FatBoy with extended forwards.
Road King (with the same)
or if you want to go touring
get a full bagger/Dresser
OR
Victory has some very nice scoots.
and then there is my favorite

TITAN

Good Luck to ya
B :tu

· Registered
2,074 Posts
I was tossong around trading in my Fatboy for a Rocker, but decided if I was trading in, it would be for an Ultra Classic.

I am biased, but believe the Fatboy captures everything HD stands for; big and bad and classic. The look is timeless for me and I wasn't even looking for one. I test rode a Heritage and the salesman pushed me onto a Fatboy and that was the end.

As far as the wind pushing the solid tires, I only felt it once on the bridge over Tampa Bay with a 20 mph crosswind.

The crossbones is one awesome bike as well and definitely worth a look.

· Banned
324 Posts
The Wide Glide and the Low Rider are both on the dyna frame with the "A" motor. Dynas were the first performance Harley and the preferred bike of the Hell's Angels. The softails you are looking at all have the "B" motor which is balanced. The "A" motors are rubber mounted and shake while idling, smoothing out at higher speeds and RPM. The "B" motors are smoother at idle, but develop a vibration at highway speeds and higher RPM.

The "A" motors are on all the dynas and bagger models.

I've owned a bunch of bikes. I've been on 2 wheels since I was 6. I currently own a Super Glide Custom (dyna frame) with Python staggered pipes, no baffles, and for you afficionados--carburated. All black and chrome (there is no other real color). I will never sell my Super Glide, but when I buy my next it will be a Road King!!

As someone pointed out they are very flexible in looks. They can go from cruiser to touring very easily. Very comfortable for the road and travel. There is a reason why police ride them. You "can" ride long trips on a dyna or softail, but the Road King is made for it.

Between the dyna and softail, I would choose the dyna. Not because I have one, but because I have ridden both and like the handling of the dyna better and the "A" motor.

· Netbackup Ninja
410 Posts
Dyna's were not the first performance Harley. In fact when they were released I'm pretty sure they weren't even the fastest Harley's sold at the time.

Of the options given I'd go with the Fat Bob. I like the dual headlight look.

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Dyna's were not the first performance Harley. In fact when they were released I'm pretty sure they weren't even the fastest Harley's sold at the time.

Of the options given I'd go with the Fat Bob. I like the dual headlight look.
Also, I think Roadkings are the preferred bike of HA, at least now.

Sonny Barger has the same Thunder Headers as I do, so we have a lot in common

· Banned
324 Posts
Read your history guys. The FX line were the first choice of HA. They since ride all models and outside of the USA ride many foreign bikes that we don't consider cruisers or tourers.

And Floyd, in your neck of the woods I would pay more attention to the Outlaws MC than HA...

And I didn't say they were Harley's fastest. The FX line was created as Harley's first performance custom oriented bike (the FXS) and then became the FXR line. In 1995 it evolved to the FXD line which is still used today. The FXD is the modern Dyna. The Dyna comes in 3 configurations: Lowrider, Wide Glide, and Super Glide

A lot of you have me on cigars, but motorcycles I know. When I said I've been riding since 6 I wasn't exagerating. I've been riding over 42 years ago. Got the broken wings to prove it. I've bought them, sold them, totalled them out.. I ride more miles in year than most do in 5-10.

And some trivia:

What made the softail line take off and become popular??? Hint, it has nothing to do with the bike or drivetrain.

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Ok Jonesee, I stand corrected.

Most of the MC's around me (Warlocks, Outlaws,) ride Roadkings.

I would guess softails were made popular by the design of the suspension allowing the clean lines as the unishock is under the rear fender out of sight?

Did you know that Fatboys were named for the 2 atomic bombs Fatman and Little Boy dropped on Japan and the holes on the solid rims are the same size as 50 caliber holes?

· Retired Cigar Whore
2,715 Posts
Motorcyclist or Biker?
Are you patched up?

Softail.......The most aftermarket parts on the market I would say. Buy a completely bare stripped down S/t and then go to town.
Yes/No/maybe??????

Read your history guys. The FX line were the first choice of HA. They since ride all models and outside of the USA ride many foreign bikes that we don't consider cruisers or tourers.

And Floyd, in your neck of the woods I would pay more attention to the Outlaws MC than HA...

And I didn't say they were Harley's fastest. The FX line was created as Harley's first performance custom oriented bike (the FXS) and then became the FXR line. In 1995 it evolved to the FXD line which is still used today. The FXD is the modern Dyna. The Dyna comes in 3 configurations: Lowrider, Wide Glide, and Super Glide

A lot of you have me on cigars, but motorcycles I know. When I said I've been riding since 6 I wasn't exagerating. I've been riding over 42 years ago. Got the broken wings to prove it. I've bought them, sold them, totalled them out.. I ride more miles in year than most do in 5-10.

And some trivia:

What made the softail line take off and become popular??? Hint, it has nothing to do with the bike or drivetrain.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.