Cigar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I know its been covered here, but I cant find the thread. Im finally able to get licenced in the miserable state of New York and the light of graduation and money is getting closer, and since Im the only member of the NRA without a gun, I feel I should join in the party.

Im looking for something that can be used both for sport and defense. I dont think recoil is too big of a problem since Im a pretty big guy and the only handgun Ive shot was a .410 from the prohibition era, and it wasnt a problem.

Im asking for any suggestions, revolver/semi, brand, caliber, etc. and price does play an important role.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Here's a post:

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6133

It all depends on how much you want to spend. If you have small children I would not get a Glock or any handgun that did not have a manual lever safety. If your willing to spend a bit and want a nice stock gun there is the Heckler & Koch line. They make some very fine semi auto handguns. If your looking for more of a hop up type or race gun then some of the custom places like Kimber, Les Baer and Springfield will do you right. For the more affordable but very well built there's Ruger, the P-89 comes to mind, I've had one for many years. They are very good guns! Think about how often you will carry it when looking a frame size, I leave mine in the car most of the time. I only carry mive when in bad parts of town like when buying a lottery ticket ;) As far as calibers go it's up to you. 45-40 calibers have good stoping power but drop quite a bit after 15' and they're expensive rounds. They are more safe for cops to use because there is less chance for colateral damage. The 9mm is what I always suggest because it's both accurate and inexpensive. The 9mm does go through walls however and that may be a concern in your household. I myself carry an HK USP Compact 9mm. It's lightweight, compact yet still a good size frame. Very accurate right out if the box and even better with upgraded sights. I did have my gun slicked up by a pistol smith. He diamond honed all the action parts, trigger plate, sear.

Just some other advice. I have owed in the past several models of the Glock handgun. Everyone of them had problems. They are IMHO just an all around poorly made gun. There's many better built guns out there for the same prices. Other brands to consider, Sig Saur, Smith $ Wesson, Colt, but again I like the H&K and Ruger the best.

I hope I as least helped a little. Some other may have better opinions on the hop up custom shops, those are just some I know off the top of my head.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Thanks for reviving my thread cigartexan!

AAlmeter,

Wow. Where do I begin....

The first question you should ask yourself is revolver or semi-auto.

If your answer is revolver I can't help you out much there. If you chose semi-auto the next question is what type. A model 1911 or a more modern semi-auto like a H&K, Sig, Khar or a Glock.

Most modern semi-auto's come in a lot of different sizes so there will be a lot to choose from. I am a big fan of H&K, but you did mention that price was an issue..H&K=$$$$

Sigs are good weapons, I highly recommend them. I have fired a few in different calibers, 9mm and 45 mostly. The slide on the Sig P239 is narrower than the H&K USP C and is good for concealed carry.

Glocks are affordable and come in a lot of differnet sizes and calibers. My friend just bought a Glock 26 today. He owns a full size 9mm now and wanted something just for concealed carry. I could not fit my pinky finger on the gun unless the extended floorplate was installed on the magazine. I would not recomment this one as a multi-purpose carry/sport weapon. Go with something a little bigger.

Holsters. Get a good inside the waistband holster and be prepared to spend $50-$70 on one. I have a Galco NSA II and love it. Instead of carrying up front, this one is designed to be carried on the small of your back, basically right above your right ass check. (man I almost wrote tight ass cheeck...talk about a typo :r )

Caliber. I like 9mm some people swear by the .45. For personal defense, make sure you get a good personal defense load like the Federal Hydra-Shok will do the job. This ammo has the best stopping power and will not go through walls like an FMJ. I only use FMJ's when shooting for fun. When carrying I always have Hydra-Shoks.

Like cigartexan I also carry an H&K USP compact. This gun is just small enough (for me anyway) to carry concealed in a holser and also fun to shoot for sport. IMHO it is a good compromise between a gun to use for sport vs. a gun specifically designed for concealed carry, such as the subcompact Glock 26 and the slimline Glock 36.

You said you were a pretty big guy, so your hands may be bigger than mine. What may be comfortable to me may not work for you.

I would look at a Glock 19, Sig P239, or any of the Sig classic compact size (Check out the P228 and P229) or an H&K USP 9 compact.

Shoot me a pm for more info (pun intended)...I could go on and on here. :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
AAlmeter said:
Im looking for something that can be used both for sport and defense. I dont think recoil is too big of a problem since Im a pretty big guy and the only handgun Ive shot was a .410 from the prohibition era, and it wasnt a problem.
I think what you are looking for is a sawed-off 10 guage shotgun :D

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
AAlmeter said:
OK. I know its been covered here, but I cant find the thread. Im finally able to get licenced in the miserable state of New York and the light of graduation and money is getting closer, and since Im the only member of the NRA without a gun, I feel I should join in the party.

Im asking for any suggestions, revolver/semi, brand, caliber, etc. and price does play an important role.
I would recommend the Beretta 92FS in 9mm. There are a few reasons for my recommendation:

1) Safety - because of the firing mechanism, the ultra-safe design features a unique triple-safety mechanism. In addition to the passive firing pin catch, the slide safety acts as a hammer decocking lever. When the safety pin is ON, the rear firing pin section is rotated and shielded from hammer impact, physically disconnected from the cartridge discharge striking firing pin front section. Therefore, a falling hammer can never break safety causing accidental discharge. In addition, a blocking device prevents accidental discharge from firing pin inertia should the pistol inadvertently be dropped striking the ground muzzle down. Trigger pull automatically deactives the firing pin catch system.

2) Ease of field stripping. This is by far the easiest handgun I have ever field stripped and cleaned. I can't emphasize this advantage enough, because it really can be a pain to take apart a gun, clean it and reassemble it so you feel confident that it still works effectively. A disassembling latch makes these pistols easy to field strip.

3) The 92FS is the official sidearm of the U.S. Military, of the French Gendarmerie and of hundreds of military and law enforcement organizations around the world. This means parts and ammunition are readily available anywhere you go and this is a great advantage.

4) Ease of firing the weapon. I love my Beretta and normally carry it as my concealed weapon. Because of the safety system, I feel comfortable carring it with the safety off and it has amazing accuracy when drawn and fired quickly (although you will have to practice to get this technique down - fun times!). It really isn't that heavy, so it is easy to carry, draw, and fire. Because of the caliber, the kick isn't bad and you can rapid fire. The problem I have with higher calibers, is while the knock down power is great, if you miss the kick has knocked your sight line off and it is more difficult to fire rapidly. With 9mm, man, if you miss you can shoot again and again accurately.

5) - Great construction! The open slide configuration minimizes the possibility of ejection related malfunctions and provides easy chamber access for direct chamber reloading. The reversible magazine release button allows fast reloading exchange of the 15 round staggered magazine (the assault weapon ban going away makes these magazines easily available). The flared grip is serrated front and back for better control, and the combat-style trigger guard is grooved for a firm two-hand grip. All exposed metal surfaces are finished with matte black "Bruniton" finish.

5) Cheap ammo - Wolf sells cheap ammo so you can practice frequently.

6) Great defense rounds - A variety of manufacturers make hollow points that are really mean. An insturctor at the officer's firing range was saying that a 9mm would not go through a heavy jacket, but he declined to go down to the end of the range with a heavy jacket on and allow a 9mm round to bounce off of him. Really, the rounds are great and with the rapid fire capability they are quite suffient.

So, can you tell I really like my Beretta? :D

·
Semi-Yung Puffa
83 Posts
I have shot a lot of guns over the years and have owned many as well. If I could only have one handgun I would take my Sig p229 in 357 sig caliber. The accuracy is fantastic, the caliber is powerful, and it is easily concealable.
But that is me. You should try shooting different brands and different calibers before you decide. Find out if you like stainless or polymer frames, what gun is comfortable for you, and what caliber is necessary. From my experience I do not enjoy the big calibers like the 44 mag. I shoot big cartridges in rifles. Check your local firing range. Some will let you rent guns, or find a pal who went a bit nuts and has far too many guns like myself.
Every time my wife and I talk money she says "we can sell your guns." NOOO!

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Wetterhorn said:
I would recommend the Beretta 92FS in 9mm. There are a few reasons for my recommendation:

I am with Wetterhorn on this. I have tried a bunch of pistols and have owned many over the years, and I like Sigs and some of the H&Ks, the 92FS is the single handgun I would recommend to anybody. Besides its functionality, it is also beautiful (I've owned many ugly-ass Glocks over the years, so beauty matters).

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
A fun handgun for target practicing and plinking is the Ruger Mark II .22. It looks a lot like the old German luger and you can shoot it all day long. Great to get the feel for hitting your target.

Like I said, a great fun little handgun!

:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
My everyday carry gun is a Glock 19. My carry ammo is black talon. This is a great gun for concealed carry due to the size and weight. The only time it has jammed in thousands of shots fired was three times when I was firing very cheap ammo and I wasn’t locking my wrist as tightly as I should have. Other than that I have never had a problem with the gun. I also own and occasionally carry a Sig P229 .40. This is also a great gun and I highly recommend it as well. However, being in NY I am guessing that you won’t be carrying, my understanding is that it is pretty difficult to obtain the right to carry in NY. If this is the case and you just want a gun for home defense and sport shooting I recommend any of the large frame Smith and Wesson revolvers. The gun I keep by my bed is a S&W 27 .357 with a six inch barrel. You can fire the high pressure 357 for defense and get by with .38 special for target practice. A gun this size takes a little getting used to but it has an insane amount of accuracy. I can consistently place 5 of 6 in the head plate at 50 yards. My Dad has a Ruger target .22 and I much prefer shooting my Smith. As for the other guns mentioned here: H&K, Beretta, and Kimber, I have shot all three and all are excellent guns as well. The fun will be finding that first one. The problem is stopping after that.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Wetterhorn said:

Doh!

How did I forget this one. This was the first 9mm I shot and for this (former) gun newbie I did very well. It was accurate and easy to operate.

Good luck in your quest to find that perfect handgun. I can only warn you...once you buy one it will not stop there.

Sound familiar? :D

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys.

It looks like a 9mm might be the way to go because the ammo is pretty cheap and everyone seems to agree on the 92FS.

Concealed carry is a pain in NY, but Im not sure just how long I will be there.

Is there a major difference in the quality/price factor and the maintenence between a revolver and semi-auto?

And cwaddell, I like your signatuire. I never noticed that before.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
AAlmeter said:
Thanks guys.

It looks like a 9mm might be the way to go because the ammo is pretty cheap and everyone seems to agree on the 92FS.

Concealed carry is a pain in NY, but Im not sure just how long I will be there.

Is there a major difference in the quality/price factor and the maintenence between a revolver and semi-auto?

And cwaddell, I like your signatuire. I never noticed that before.
It has been my experience that semi-auto pistols have to have more maintenence than revolvers. But, like I said the 92FS is easy to maintain.

A comparable revolver will usually be cheaper than a semi-auto pistol. At least that is my experience - some revolvers are pretty pricey!

But the 92FS is safer than a revolver due to the firing mechanism.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Both have advantages. In the table next to my bed I have a S&W .357 loaded with Black Talon rounds - that is because revolvers do not tend to misfire as much as semi-autos do. Yet I carry the 92FS and sometimes a Kel Tec 9MM because of the safety and rapid fire combined with a 16 round capacity as opposed to a 6 round capacity.

And, after your first gun, you will buy more - never have I known a person to stop at one gun!

:u

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm really not trying to diss what some of you have said. but! I worked in a custom gun shop for a couple years when I was gunsmithing. I have seen my fair share of troubles with the Beretta 92sf pistol. I should have stated that in my earlier post, sorry. I do think there is a difference in owning a certain gun and working on several of them. The 92, I have both owed and worked on many times. From that standpoint I can't recommend it to you. If I was asked what auto pistol I had the most trouble with while gunsmithing, the Beretta is what I would have to say.

Is there a range near you that lets you shoot different handguns, so you can see what you like to shoot?

Someone on this thread said to that revolvers require less maintainence work than an automatic. I think not, we worked on more revolvers than auto's in our shop. More hop-up work is done more often to auto's, but that doesn't mean it's broken.

Sorry, I shut up now!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Wetterhorn said:
It has been my experience that semi-auto pistols have to have more maintenence than revolvers. But, like I said the 92FS is easy to maintain.

And, after your first gun, you will buy more - never have I known a person to stop at one gun!

:u
Yeah they're like Cigars :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I carry a Sig Sauer P228, 9mm for work. I've fired the Beretta 92F many times and have to say I wouldn't trade my Sig for a Beretta for anything.

To be completely honest with you, when I get home, the pistol goes in the briefcase. I rely on my Mossberg 12 gauge with .00 buck for home defense. 8 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber will pretty much take care of the home defense issue. A good Smith and Wesson .357 magnum revolver is good for the night stand also unless you have curious kids around.

When I travel, my wife has a Colt Mustand .380 in her night stand. It's a small palm gun but it packs a hell of wallop and is perfect for her. I use it sometimes as a backup piece in an ankle holster.

I also have a Ruger Mark II and it is a great little plinking / target practice gun.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How about something more retro?
Browning Hi-Power 9mm. Only auto I've ever shot that was instuitive for pull & shoot.

Any older S&W revolver. I can't imagine what they must be like after caving in to the anti-gun lobby.

Otherwise its a matter of holding and shooting. Any friends with diverse collections that could help out in actual range work? Or, contact any combat shooting groups in the area. Generally some of the nicest, most generous folks you can hope to meet.

Now, enjoy this mail box from Tejas

Attachments

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
assafire said:
Now, enjoy this mail box from Tejas
Now that is a mailbox!!!!

:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.