Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was probably the most mediocre cigar I've ever had. In fact, to me, this cigar defined mediocrity. It wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't what it's marketed to be (or priced to be!!!:hn). I've had this Churchill sitting in my desktop since it's initial release. I'd seen the less than stellar reviews on this good looking smoke, and I wanted to give it a fair shot, so I let it sit for a while. The band really is very nice, and the wrapper/cap construction looked good as well. It burned fine, but the smoke was very one dimensional. It wasn't an acrid smoke, but it was very bland. The smoke I got was very smooth and creamy, but that's it! There was no spice or sweetness that I've grown accustomed to with premium cigars. Had this stick been about $4, I probably would've been satisfied, but it wasn't! I expected much more complexity (not necessarily strength), and it simply wasn't there. I don't regret purchasing it once, because I'm a sucker for good marketing, but I won't be buying anymore!

·
Pro Donkey
2,399 Posts
I am wondering if these cigars like the ashton's the opus's and so forth should be aged a few years before smoking. I have had some that just don't seem worth the cost. I am thinking that it is my american mentality to smokem if you gotem.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am wondering if these cigars like the ashton's the opus's and so forth should be aged a few years before smoking. I have had some that just don't seem worth the cost. I am thinking that it is my american mentality to smokem if you gotem.
Honestly, in my not-so-expert opinion, age is not going to help this cigar (enough to turn it into a superstar). It was a smooth/creamy smoke, but there just wasn't any excitement to it! Most of my cigars that have benefited from time have lacked the smoothness that I really like in my cigars. It's not a strength issue, but it's definitely a flavor issue.

·
Pro Donkey
2,399 Posts
Honestly, in my not-so-expert opinion, age is not going to help this cigar (enough to turn it into a superstar). It was a smooth/creamy smoke, but there just wasn't any excitement to it! Most of my cigars that have benefited from time have lacked the smoothness that I really like in my cigars. It's not a strength issue, but it's definitely a flavor issue.
Sorry to hear you were disappointed. I have been wanting to try the VSG's but not wanting to pull the trigger on the price.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I had one last night and was also unimpressed. I'll take a VSG over an ESG every day of the week.

I agree with you that they will not improve vastly with time. There just doesn't seem to be enough there to improve on. It's a shame, because I like most everything else Ashton markets. (Well maybe it's not a shame based on the $$$).

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear you were disappointed. I have been wanting to try the VSG's but not wanting to pull the trigger on the price.
For what it's worth, I like the VSG much better than the ESG. Regardless, I smoke mainly Cubans with the rare exception being Padron Annis and Pepin Black/Blue labels... I just find that I have to pay way too much for quality non-Cubans.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Agreed, to me both the VSG and ESG have seemed "OK, maybe good" but not great and certainly not worth the inflated price tag. The VSG is a little better for the price, the ESG is perhaps a little stronger in Vitamin N but not in flavor. Personally, if we are looking at an Ashton "value proposition", I think the Heritage Puro Sol offers the most bang for the buck without venturing into xSG territory. I would happily take an FFOX over either.

Of course, there is the Ashton San Cristobal. :ss

·
The local Siglo II whore
465 Posts
I've got mine buried underneath some VSG's. They've been there for for about a year now. I wonder if they've taken on some of the VSG flavor. They don't give off any aroma that would say they are a complex smoke though.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
i think any $20+ stick should not only be ready to smoke when you buy it, but come w/a drink & light itself-but i'm a cheap bastard

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
I have one of each size. They have been sitting in my humidor for almost a year. From the sound of things I may as well just smoke them. I just purchased the Ashton San Cristobal, I'm 99.99% sure I'll like Pepin's cigar more than the ESG.

Just sort of sad to hear these lackluster reports after spending over $15 a stick.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've yet to have the ESG Churchill, but I do have a box of the ESG robusto, and they're really nice, I'd almost swear they're the same blend as the Casa Fuente's, but I haven't had the time to do a head to head yet.

It does seem though that Ashton messed up with the ESG from the get go by releasing a cigar that just doesn't seem to meet anyone's expectations, and which many say the VSG's are far better for much less. Now the releases will be tarnished by those who've only tried or have heard of someone who tried the 20 year churchill and will now endlessly post about how bad it was.

The only sad thing is, I've smoked alot of different single cigars and hated them in all price ranges, then tried them with a different mindset or from a different source and enjoyed them over and over again. I hate when people judge a cigar line from just one sampling.

But the jury seems to be out on the ESG churchill. And I'll probably never cough up the money for what seems to be an overwhelmingly bad experience.

I hope some of you come across the robusto, at a fair price and give it a try.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Man. I've had one sitting in one of my humidors a good long while now too, since like Pistol, I had heard they might need some time. Looks like I'm going to leave it there for another year until I start hearing from some BOTL here that they may be coming around.

Thanks for the heads up, Pistol, sorry it wasn't a good smoke for you.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I've yet to have the ESG Churchill, but I do have a box of the ESG robusto, and they're really nice, I'd almost swear they're the same blend as the Casa Fuente's, but I haven't had the time to do a head to head yet.

It does seem though that Ashton messed up with the ESG from the get go by releasing a cigar that just doesn't seem to meet anyone's expectations, and which many say the VSG's are far better for much less. Now the releases will be tarnished by those who've only tried or have heard of someone who tried the 20 year churchill and will now endlessly post about how bad it was.

The only sad thing is, I've smoked alot of different single cigars and hated them in all price ranges, then tried them with a different mindset or from a different source and enjoyed them over and over again. I hate when people judge a cigar line from just one sampling.

But the jury seems to be out on the ESG churchill. And I'll probably never cough up the money for what seems to be an overwhelmingly bad experience.

I hope some of you come across the robusto, at a fair price and give it a try.
The problem isn't that Pistol or anyone else here who has reviewed one of these is not giving them their due. Pistol has been around the cigar block a time or two and he gave this one the same fair shot all of us are wanting to give this stick. The problem is that the "unimpressed" comments seem to heavily outweigh the "out of this world" comments. Heck, your comment is one of the very few I have read that did not take issue with the ESG in one facet or another.

If you found one that is living up to the price tag, by all means write up a review.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Man. I've had one sitting in one of my humidors a good long while now too, since like Pistol, I had heard they might need some time. Looks like I'm going to leave it there for another year until I start hearing from some BOTL here that they may be coming around.

Thanks for the heads up, Pistol, sorry it wasn't a good smoke for you.
good plan:tu I just jumped on the grenade like any good wingman!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.