Cigar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
LineWalker
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed on a few sites that sell ISOM's as well as Padron Anny's that the Padron's are always extremely expensive. Does this have to do with limited availability? I know the Padron's are as good as they come, but it seems to me that the Cubans are widely thought of as the kings. On some of these sites the Padron boxes are twice as much per box as similarly sized ISOM's. Anyone else notice this? Have an opinion?

·
-
11,412 Posts
i guess they think highly of themselves??? i've had the padron 64s and 26s (liked the 64s better), and can honestly say that there's no way in HELL i'd pay that much for one... when i can get a cuban cigar for half that price (depending on what cuban and what padron) and it will blow it away.

but that's my opinion (and i know others that share it).

padrons are good cigars, but to pay THAT MUCH for one?? fuggin crazy. how much are the 26s (if you can find them)? 25 each?? gimme a break.

i have photos of one of them burning so badly... and, it tasted harsh as all get out.. i wasn't happy i was smoking it, and would've been royally pissed off had i bought it myself.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
From what I gather from E.R.D.M.'s posts, they and other domestics are very hard to get in other countries, where Cuban cigars have almost a monopoly. So its kind of like that 1977 Skeet VanSkeeter rookie card, he wasnt as good, but it sure is a rare card.

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts
IMO, what is going on is indeed as was stated above, that these Nicaraguans involve some finagalling to aquire, but pressure from area smokers has made them feel it was worth the effort to find a few boxes. So what they have is kind of a sucker's box, wherein someone can walk in or log on and ask for these Padrons and get a sticck or two, to "see what all the fuss is about."
But you won't get me putting em down, I think they are fine cigars for what they aren't.

·
Bacon Lover
808 Posts
I have only had 2 1926's - can't remember the #'s, but the robusto and double corona (#6, #9 i think?...)
Anyway, the robusto was STRONGER THAN HECK and not all that impressive in the flavor dept. The DC was actually pretty good. (both maduro).

I put the 64's on the same level as most cubans in my book - totally different flavors, but similar in enjoyment. I guess there are tons of cuban brands and only one padron, hence the mark up.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think that the Padron's are so expensive because of limited availability. They just don't produce very many of them and cigar shops seem to only be allowed to purchase a limited quantity. I have smoked many of the 1964s and one 1926. Most have been very good with a couple being not so great. Still I would always choose a Habano if I have the choice over a Padron even if the price was the same. :w I really like the Padron's but it is just no contest when compared against good habanos.

KJ

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
They are priced the way they are simply due to how few are produced. Same story with Opus X. They are both good cigars, but overpriced for what you get IMHO. If some of you out there think they are as good as Cubans, thats cool. It's all about personal taste. Everyone knows how I feel on the subject.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Quote from 1978 CA interview with Jose Padron:

"CA: How do you compare the taste and flavor of your cigar to a Cuban cigar?

Padrón: The Cuban cigar is still different. We have tried to re-create the flavor from the early days, but it still isn't the same. We have come close to it but not quite…." :confused:

·
Registered
672 Posts
flipflop said:
Prices are ultimately based on supply and demand. It's as simple as that.

Also, import fees and taxes in other countries can add 100% or more to the US price of non-Cuban cigars.
I agree...

For instance, there is a tobacco shop in Sweden who sells Padron Anniversary 1964 Maduro... for... well... about $60 for one Diplomatico!

·
LineWalker
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
El Rey del Mundo said:
I agree...

For instance, there is a tobacco shop in Sweden who sells Padron Anniversary 1964 Maduro... for... well... about $60 for one Diplomatico!
WOW! Wouldn't it be great if all cigars were the same price and equally available............OK, I'm back in the real world now. $60 for a cigar makes my stomach hurt.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I thought CA was only 10 years old? You sure it wasn't a 1998 interview?

just curious

ESP said:
Quote from 1978 CA interview with Jose Padron:

"CA: How do you compare the taste and flavor of your cigar to a Cuban cigar?

Padrón: The Cuban cigar is still different. We have tried to re-create the flavor from the early days, but it still isn't the same. We have come close to it but not quite…." :confused:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I'm a total Padron lover. The 3000M has been my go to smoke for years. I've never had the 1926, but I love the 1964 Annis and those have always been my special occasion smoke. I thought that nothing could be better than those and I liked the fact that I could just buy them at my local guy's shop. I thought people that ordered expensive Habanos were suckers.

Then I found out that the 1964's were actually more than I could get a Habano for. I also tried some of those Habanos this last week, and now I'm the sucker. I have considered buying a box of the 1964 Exclusivo Maddies to have for special occasions. Now I would rather save the 80 or so dollars and buy some VR Famosos or something similar.

·
-
11,412 Posts
d. generate, i'm really getting a kick out of your posts now after you've tried your first few cuban cigars...

sorry i :hn you.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
IHT, you've ruined me for my old cigars! I've found the slippery slope isn't a slope at all, it's a crevasse.

But at least it's a fun drop into the abyss. Who wants to live forever? I'd rather die being able to say I enjoyed some fine Cubans than with a positive balance in my bank account! Perhaps that's the Lemmy influence...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts