Cigar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that Habanos are much less expensive in Europe than here in Canada. It seems like the best place outside of Cuba to get Cubans. I think many people here import theirs from Spain and Germany. When I'm over on the continent this summer, which country is likely to have the best prices for a box of smokes?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Ummm if you can get to Berlin, go to the LCDH there. There is another in Kholn, but I have no idea where that is. More then likely they will be your best bet on prices.

If not then you need to be careful where you buy them from. People do sell fakes there.

Here is the LCDH website.

www.lacasadelhabano.cu/index

IHT and I have bought a lot of Cubans from cigar shops in Germany. There are only 2 or 3 that we go to. One is in Regensburg, 2 more in Nurnburg. Both those cities are with in driving distance of where we stay. We both want to go to Berlin.

IHT has the info on the one cigar store we go to in Regensburg. They have a nice selection of Habanos. The 2 in Nurnburg are smaller. But there is one that has an OK selection. Besides the LCDH.....the one in Regensburg is your best bet. I'm sure there are others. Like if your going to be in Munich or Heildelberg. I just don't know of where to look there.

:pu

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
From what I've seen, Germany prices are on the high side, at least in Munich. The best prices I seen in Munich was in the duty free at the airport.

Switzerland has to be one of the better places I've been to for cigars. Tons of little towns and every one has at least one cigar/tobacco shop. Didnt see any fakes while in Switzerland (5 times). Prices are all government regulated, so price shopping is not needed, just find what your looking for. The best part is many of the smaller mom & pop shops have no web sites and older aged (although smaller vitolas) stuff can be found (ie: 1991 MC Joyitas, 1989 ERDM Panatelas Largas)

Dublin Ireland wasnt cheap either for tobacco, but not outragous with limited shops.

One day Im gonna make it to Gibralter ;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
poker said:
Switzerland has to be one of the better places I've been to for cigars. Tons of little towns and every one has at least one cigar/tobacco shop. Didnt see any fakes while in Switzerland (5 times). Prices are all government regulated, so price shopping is not needed, just find what your looking for. The best part is many of the smaller mom & pop shops have no web sites and older aged (although smaller vitolas) stuff can be found (ie: 1991 MC Joyitas, 1989 ERDM Panatelas Largas)
So when are we going ;) I say we go down and smoke all there aged stuff :w

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a good shop in Bonn, Germany in the city center on Stern Strasse. They have a great selection and the same prices as everywhere else.

I heard from a few people there in Germany that the best place to buy in Europe is on the Canary Islands, but am not sure that is a fact. Maybe somebody else here has been there. I think that other places in Spain also have excellent prices. So I would say that Spain would be your best bet.

KJ

·
Registered
36 Posts
Spain has had a long term contract with Cuba that has secured them the lowest prices in the world outside of Cuba. This was evident when looking at the old Cigar Insider overview of the market, I believe the Madrid airport duty free had the lowest in Spain.

As for Canada, it is the countries Tobaco tax that kills you. Prices the sticks completly out of the market.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
As for Canada, it is the countries Tobaco tax that kills you.
That holds true for most countries that invoke a VAT + high tobacco tax. The UK, Australia, Canada come to mind when buying there (VAT dosent apply to out of country sales. ie: mail order).

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have travelled pretty extensively in Europe and can tell you that Spain is without a doubt the cheapest country to but Cubans. The duty free shops at the airports are pretty poor (I always worry about storage at airports) but find yourself an Estancos in any town or city and you will not be disapointed. Prices are set by the government and are cheaper than the Duty Free shops.

That said, I was speaking to someone from Gibralter the other day and they told me that Cuban cigars in Spain can sometimes be of questionable quality. Personally I have not found this.

There are, however, some very good cigars to be found in Gibralter, if you ever happen to be passing. Believe me, if you were ever in Southern Spain it would be worth visiting Gibralter just to buy cigars. Without a doubt, the cheapest place in the world outside of Cuba.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I second the opinion of Spain.

Also Spanish Cigar prices are regulated by the governement (Duty-free shops are not).

Check the link below for the official spanish Gov. Pricelist:
http://www.mycigarsite.com/subopciones/opcion1c/opcion1ceng.html

Got a box of MC#3 for 135euro and Cohiba Siglo I for 138.5.

For those of you that have friends going to Barcelona, you might want to check out www.gimenocigars.com
(the store is just great)

Here in Sweden Cubans and Non-Cubans are basicly the same.
A Siglo I is about $12.50 and a Macanudo Hyde Park is about $11.50

Thank god for online vendors ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm in Madrid and fly there (Havana) 3- 5 times per month.

Anyone want anything in particular let me know. I'm sitting on (3) boxes Cohiba Robustos, (2) boxes HdM Epicure #2's, (1) box Cohiba Esplendido and (1) Montecristo Edmundo at the moment and have 4 more trips in the next 3 weeks!

If your in Madrid let me know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cheapest place I've seen in Europe was Gibraltar. About 10-15% cheaper than Spain.

I've also heard Andorra has great prices as well...

Spain is a great place to smoke though. Everywhere is pretty much cigar friendly and the prices are pretty good. I lived in Barcelona for 3 months studying Spanish and as stated above, Gimeno is a great place to shop for cigars in Barcelona but you might also want to check out L'estanc de Laeitana. They keep their cigars 2 floors below ground in a cigar cave. There's nothing like walking into a subterranean chamber filled with over 100,000 Cuban cigars...

Chris

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
cvp747 said:
I'm in Madrid and fly there (Havana) 3- 5 times per month.

Anyone want anything in particular let me know. I'm sitting on (3) boxes Cohiba Robustos, (2) boxes HdM Epicure #2's, (1) box Cohiba Esplendido and (1) Montecristo Edmundo at the moment and have 4 more trips in the next 3 weeks!

If your in Madrid let me know.
Ever get hassled at customs?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts