Cigar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gorillas,
I am on the way to Cabo for a few days and am wondering if anyone has experience or advice on habanos shopping in this resort town. I've done some online research and it appears that a retailer named gerbilshop.com is the place to shop. They are expensive though, at least by their online prices. Supposedly all the other shops in town sell suspect gars.
Right now I'm just hoping to stumble on some aged stock worth paying a premium for. Has anyone shopped/negociated at gerbilshop or any other shops in Cabo? Aside from avoiding counterfeits, any general advice?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm going to resurrect this because I'm heading to Cabo in January.
Suggestions?

·
Registered
55 Posts
xxxxxxxxxx is the only place to get authentic product in Cabo.

They have also opened a cigar lounge in town that is right accross the street from the back entrance to Cabo Wabo (Sammy Hagars place).
The name of the lounge is Hemmingway's. Once again this is owned by the same people who own xxxxx's so I'd feel good buying here or smoking here either one.

Remember that the prices are very high in Mexico and especially at xxxxx. They will hawk you when you go into the humidor, don't be offended as they have a lot of theft.

My last trip down about a year ago I found some nice items to buy that I felt were worth the premium. Some 98 Monte Tubos and some 97 Punch Black Princes, so look around buy a single have a seat and a smoke.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
DaKlugs and I were in xxxxxxx's last year. They had some aged/discontinued stock but they wanted an arm and a leg!
They had a partial 100 cab of Punch Petite Punch's. I asked them if they would give me a deal if I purchased the rest (about 15 - 5 packs). They said sure. The gal took out a calculator, punched in some numbers and said, here's your deal. Essentially, it was the same price as if I bought a 5 packs at the retail price..... x's 15. So it was no deal, even though she tried to sell me on the BS she was giving me a deal. She must have thought I was either very drunk, or very stupid........I was a little drunk at the time, but not THAT stupid!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the input, guys.
I've heard that Cubans are expensive in Mexico, but I wanted to try a couple when I had the chance.

·
has moved on
894 Posts
We're doing a Mexican Riviera cruise over Thanksgiving with a stop in Cabo. I'm taking my own smoking supplies with me, but I'll most likely stop in the main shop there to check things out. As others have said, Mexico isn't cheap when it comes to decent cigars.

I'll try to post to this thread when we get back and let you know what things look like. The day before we hit Cabo, I'm doing a tequila factory tour in Puerto Vallarta, so I make no promises. :D

·
Registered
996 Posts
xxxxxxxxxx is the only place to get authentic product in Cabo.

They have also opened a cigar lounge in town that is right accross the street from the back entrance to Cabo Wabo (Sammy Hagars place).
The name of the lounge is Hemmingway's. Once again this is owned by the same people who own xxxxx's so I'd feel good buying here or smoking here either one.

Remember that the prices are very high in Mexico and especially at xxxxx. They will hawk you when you go into the humidor, don't be offended as they have a lot of theft.

My last trip down about a year ago I found some nice items to buy that I felt were worth the premium. Some 98 Monte Tubos and some 97 Punch Black Princes, so look around buy a single have a seat and a smoke.
Ah yes. That place was marvelous. I stopped there on the way into, and the way out of Cabo Wabo Catina, I think!? Question, are you speaking of the little shop that has the big Cohiba logo on the outside that the humidor can hold about 5-8 people or so? If your walking into Cabo Wabo coming from the outside bar and t-shirt area? I'm pretty sure we're talking of the same place. Here were some prices, all in USD (I looked at the picture I took of some of their stock):

3 Siglo VI Tubos - $211.90
5 Cohiba Panatelas - $71.43
5 Siglo IV - $136.xx

as you can see, they're not cheap by any means, but it's better than the knockoff trash you'll buy in a resort

If your at a duty free shop and have $400+ to spend you could always pick this up:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bengal,

The place you speak of is not the same place I referenced above. If I am correct your talking about a little cigar Kiosk type store (but permanently built in) on the same road. I've been in there on a few trips out of curiosity and seen some cigars that could have been authentic and some that were poor attempts at counterfeiting. It's kind of a partial octagon looking humidor with window. No?

Hemmingway's has only been opened for a little over a year and is a nice sit down cigar bar.

Question, are you speaking of the little shop that has the big Cohiba logo on the outside that the humidor can hold about 5-8 people or so?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Bengal,

The place you speak of is not the same place I referenced above. If I am correct your talking about a little cigar Kiosk type store (but permanently built in) on the same road. I've been in there on a few trips out of curiosity and seen some cigars that could have been authentic and some that were poor attempts at counterfeiting. It's kind of a partial octagon looking humidor with window. No?

Hemmingway's has only been opened for a little over a year and is a nice sit down cigar bar.
Yes, the place you just described is it. I went in there in June on my honeymoon and was blown away by the sheer amount of Cohibas that they had. As I recall, I think the sign said "Cohiba Outlet, all 100% authentic" or something along those lines. It was FILLED wall to wall with all Cohibas. At the time I barely knew anything about cigars and given the price, I chose against buying anything. It sure did look pretty though! Instead I bought them from the man in our resort who was doing hand rolled smokes. I didn't see Hemmingway's while I was there, but that's also probably because I wasn't looking. I think my wife and I are going back to Cabo next year so I will definitely check out Hemmingway's then.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We're doing a Mexican Riviera cruise over Thanksgiving with a stop in Cabo. I'm taking my own smoking supplies with me, but I'll most likely stop in the main shop there to check things out. As others have said, Mexico isn't cheap when it comes to decent cigars.

I'll try to post to this thread when we get back and let you know what things look like. The day before we hit Cabo, I'm doing a tequila factory tour in Puerto Vallarta, so I make no promises. :D
I look forward to your advance scouting report :ss

1 - 12 of 12 Posts