Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This particular cigar was a gift from Rockstar when I met him at the Shack a couple weeks ago.

The cigar had an absolutely gorgeous wrapper on it that was quite dark and oily. With a clip from my Club Stogie cutter, I tested the draw and found that it was just slightly on the loose side of perfect. So much for the '99-00 construction problems... this pup was ready to go.

Upon firing this mareva up, I was taken a back. This was a STRONG cigar. In fact this was easily the strongest cigar that I have had in quite some time. It started out woody and tannic, but in a very pleasant balance. As the smoke develops, there are fleeting wisps of some strnge flavors including a flavor that I can only liken to jalapenos without any of the heat and at times a flavor that was very similar to wheat bread (weird... I know). Towards the second third, the spicy woodiness turned to a malty sweetness, with some hints of chocolate. At times, the flavors would fade away, leaving only the sensation of pure strength. At the end, it got very rich with flavors of raisins and chocolate, though just before the finish, it faded into pure tobacco flavors. All the while, the tannins (which is a quality that I enjoy quite a bit in cigars) were present in force.

At times, there were some weird aromas coming off of this cigar as well. They were soapy and almost chlorine-like, but they dissapated quickly and settled into a mild spicy note. Overall, this was an excellent cigar. I won't give it a number rating as I feel that cigars are way to subjective to apply an obljective rating, however it should be noted that I enjoyed it immensely.

Thanks, Freddy!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Re: 1999 H Upmann Petit Corona

If my memory serves me correctly, Freddi gifted me one of these at my labor day BBQ herf. I smoked it last weekend at Mahogany's, and loved it.. Wasnt sure what it was at the time, but reading this reminds me of its identity.

·
Retired Cigar Whore
2,707 Posts

YOU were at Mahogany last weekend!!!!!
The one weekend I was away

B

If my memory serves me correctly, Freddi gifted me one of these at my labor day BBQ herf. I smoked it last weekend at Mahogany's, and loved it.. Wasnt sure what it was at the time, but reading this reminds me of its identity.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Agreed, Connie #1's are really strong....just sampled a '98 the other night. Still going strong!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

You should try one of these or a '98 Connie #1. Now THAT's a strong Upmann!
I like the 98 Connosieur, but I thought it was a med body smoke. Too mild for after dinner. Mag 46, Sir Winston, and #2 are closer to full flavor for me.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

The 98 Connies that I have are, for whatever reason, very strong. I think it might be one of those box-to-box variation things, but the ones that I have are pretty killer.
Great cigar, but I've never had one I thought was very strong. I've smoked several boxes of the 98's. Whats strong to one person is sometimes not to another though for sure. :ss

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Really? The flavor profile is that close to the Super Corona? I've never had the opportunity to smoke one, but knowing that these are close would make me happy. :ss How do they differ?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

smaller super corona eh ... hmmm ...

I smoked one of these Sunday morning after a heavy breakfast burrito. Lot's of chocolatey sweet goodness I remembered from a few SC I sampled. Very good cigars indeed.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

Really? The flavor profile is that close to the Super Corona? I've never had the opportunity to smoke one, but knowing that these are close would make me happy. :ss How do they differ?
The Super corona has a bit more strength and complexity IMO, but now that Larry mentions it there are some similarities for sure. I think this is what he meant by a smaller Super corona.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.