Cigar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting a cab of Mags and wanted to hear the opinion of others. Thinking about it, I like JL 2's and Boli BF's a lot. The JLs remind me of a more flavorful Davidoff Milleneum with the floral and spicy hints. Nice smokes. The Bolis just have that kick ass creamy woodsy spice. What can I expect with the Mags and based on my preferrred flavor profile am I aimed in the right direction?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have smoked a few aged ones. What year is your cab from?

I found this smoke to be very smooth, more of a morning smoke then a powerhouse. Excellent flavor. Creamy, with hints of burnt madagascar vanilla. :D

Seriously, I don't think it has the same flavor as the others you mentioned, but a good quality stick nonetheless.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The Mag46's, imo, are the most consistent Habanos cigar out there. I can honestly say that I've never had a bad tasting or poorly constructed Mag46, and I've had tons of them. Some of course, like all Cuban cigars, better than others, but always good and always consistent. Those and the BBF are my two go-to cigars.

·
-
11,412 Posts
cazadore said:
The Mag46's, imo, are the most consistent Habanos cigar out there. I can honestly say that I've never had a bad tasting or poorly constructed Mag46, and I've had tons of them. Some of course, like all Cuban cigars, better than others, but always good and always consistent. Those and the BBF are my two go-to cigars.
while i totally respect caz's opinion and his experiences with this cigar, mine has been a total 180*.

i have bought some abroad, bought some 5 packs, been given some from fine BOTL, and NONE, that's N-O-N-E have been worth a damn. i keep giving them a try, cuz everyone love's em.

from the 5 pack i bought, i think only 3 were smokeable, the others would not draw at all (and i have 1 left, sitting in my humi with the head cut off, hoping it'll open up - so only 2 were smoked so far).

coppertop and i both bought a few of them while in germany. they were the most plugged cigar i've ever tried to draw on. i about busted a blood vessel, and coppertop can tell you how pissed i was and how red my face was getting just trying to draw on the cigar.

the others i've been given by fellow smokers, one of which was by LasciviousXXX on here, and that was the best one of them i've had. best one, and it was only adequate.

now - take into account that some people just don't like some lines of cigars.
example: there's someone on the forum where cazadore is a moderator who has had zero luck with anything from the Punch line of cigars, including punch punch and churchills. i've loved all mine.... go figure?
i also have only had 1 cohiba that i've liked.

so, different tastes for different palattes. you may LOVE THEM. hell, I MAY LOVE THEM, but i have yet to have many that've been constructed well that have allowed me to smoke them. the 1 that actually drew well enough (yes, all the others were very tight - even the smokeable ones) was just adequate in the flavor department FOR ME.

your mileage may vary.

also, there's other forums where if you were to ask this, you wouldn't see but maybe 1 or 2 out of 100 that had anything remotely bad to say about this cigar.

they must be exceptional cigars, as the majority of people love them. just that i have had no such luck.
(not a mooch attempt - keep yer cigars)

again, mucho respecto to caz and all his knowledge/experience, but i have yet to have those experiences with this cigar.

sorry for the long reply, but i feel compelled to make it clear that they're just my own opinions based on my own personal experiences. don't go out making decisions based on what i said alone.

G

·
Mag 46s are definitely not my cup of tea. In fact, I actually don't like 'em. I would go with BBFs anyday over the Mags. I think the Mags lack complexity and are really only a straight tobacco taste. IMO

I won't avoid them if someone ever gives me one to smoke, but I will definitely never buy any.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
First, I do not recommend buying a cab without trying the cigar a few times. You may be like IHT and just not like them. I like them, as most folks seem to. They seem to be consistently good in both flavor and construction. If you tried and like the BBF anf JL2, why not get them, and continue to try other cigars to find what else you like?

Second, I should follow my own advice, as I have bought several boxes based on reviews only. Some have been great, others less than great.

·
-
11,412 Posts
colgate said:
What can I expect with the Mags and based on my preferrred flavor profile am I aimed in the right direction?
i think MY REPLY didn't help, as i can't honestly answer this question, which is the heart of your post. and my reply has led to other to reply the way they did.

sounds like you want to know if the Mag46s will be your cup of tea based on what you previously liked and what the Mags taste like.

there are 31 or so reviews of this cigar HERE

there are some on this site as well:
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/search.php?searchid=102424

there are 20 reviews on top25 on this:
http://www.top25cigar.com/reviewdatabase/product.asp?pkID=6566&showprod=yes&catpkID=197

HOPEFULLY, somewhere in there, you will find someone who can express what they taste in that cigar that will help you make your decision.
or, someone might be nice enough to send you a couple to try before you buy. i would, but i don't own any (other than the plugged 1 i have left).

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IHT said:
i think MY REPLY didn't help, as i can't honestly answer this question, which is the heart of your post. and my reply has led to other to reply the way they did.

sounds like you want to know if the Mag46s will be your cup of tea based on what you previously liked and what the Mags taste like.

there are 31 or so reviews of this cigar HERE

there are some on this site as well:
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/search.php?searchid=102424

there are 20 reviews on top25 on this:
http://www.top25cigar.com/reviewdatabase/product.asp?pkID=6566&showprod=yes&catpkID=197

HOPEFULLY, somewhere in there, you will find someone who can express what they taste in that cigar that will help you make your decision.
or, someone might be nice enough to send you a couple to try before you buy. i would, but i don't own any (other than the plugged 1 i have left).
thanks for the links and opinions!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can tell you that the 04 mag 46's are incredible! Rather pricy, but they are one of my favorite cigars.

I wouldn't invest in a cabinet until you have tried one.

If I had any left, I'd be happy to send you one, but I'm all out! :rolleyes:

Enjoy

Barry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts