Cigar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... here we go, my 1st Habanos Review... After reading everyones advice (thank you by the way) in my "Cuban Singles" post I decided to light one of my precious few.

Cigar looks beautiful... silky brown wrapper, perfect cap & construction... hated to light it but I pressed on. Cut easily with the initial test draw being perfect. Cigar lit with more ease than I have ever had in my life... initial puffs rewarded me with tons of flavourful smoke. Flavor started with notes of grassy fields & earth but settled down into a creamy bliss of coffee & cream after the 1st 1/4-1/2 inch. Cigar built to a wonderful climax all the way through building a slight spice and adding strength... Cigar burned flawlessly down to the nub (& yes I did nub it ... :p ). The only dissapointing part of this whole experience I would have to say is when I burnt my fingers & had to lay it down.

After trying this one I immediatley drove the 30 miles to buy another 5 and a few of the other singles you have all reccomended me...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Now you've gone and done it. You should have never ventured over to this side. Now you're gonna have to deal with plugged cigars, the stocking up of cigars for aging, the search for aged cigars, etc., etc. Welcome to my world. :D :w

·
Registered
156 Posts
nero,

welcome to the habano slopes...you know, the slippery slopes that lead to broke? Just leave your wallet at the top and slide on down..

-justin

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
thanks for the review... you're definitely a goner now! i think of the mag as the snapple of habanos... very fruity :D

·
Registered
831 Posts
One of my favs! My only complaint about the cigar is they seem to burn so damn fast compared to other cigars their size. I LOVE this cigar! Thanks for the great review!:)

·
Registered
242 Posts
filly,

Interesting. I haven't had that experience with Mag46s at all??

I'd even say they've been slow burners. Strange.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Great review and welcome do the dark side.

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Re: H. Upmann Magnum 46

Introduction
This head spinning tasty stick arrived via stealth bomber when I made a wish from across the Ohio river. Thank you DonJefe. Anyone want to buy some really nice domestics cheap? This is ridiculous I have been smoking cigars for 20 years and feel like an idiot not going dark earlier.

Pre-Light Ruminations
Smelled nice a lot like the permanent resonant smell from my mustache. No matter what I do always that cigar smell in the short hairs. This kind of flavors any pre light thoughts. Looks like a rough triple cap. Nice firm cigar - but without exception in my limited experience Cubans seem firmer than the domestics. Pre light draw was slightly tight but good.

Initial Thoughts
This stick started out raspy and settled in after about a ½ inch. For its ring size it was not as strong as I expected medium to full with a little sharp nose. Kept my interest, got some twang, not ethereal, but good at this price point.

Mid Burn Experience
Settled in to that nice leather, coffee zone got a little 3D as the buzz set in. Burn was great. Stopped at a Walgreen's for more nicorette and left the stick on the mirror. This yappy little dog in the car next door shut up and just stared at the smoke. Was still staring when I came back out. I felt the same way. Got that nice subtle nutty flavor and more so a what the hell is that flavor kind of feeling tying to put to words the sensation.

Last Third
Got a bit stronger towards the end. Spice came forward. Not ultra smooth but good. Nutty spice some tongue twang and a real good buzz. Smoked it to the nub.

Conclusion
Nice smoke a little different than the ones I've had so far. Liked it, seems like a decent value and deserving of some more attention. More on the way. Thanks again DJ.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts

Great review and you're very welcome! When you say cheap domestics, how cheap?! Send me a list! :D

·
Banned
8,745 Posts

DonJefe said:
Great review and you're very welcome! When you say cheap domestics, how cheap?! Send me a list! :D
It probably would be easier to start with what you like. I dont have it automated. Will work on a cleaning out the humi list tomorrow.

·
-
11,419 Posts

one of these days i "might" try another mag46... so far, out of the 10 or so i've had, none have been worth a :BS . either totally plugged, or no flavor, or a combo of very bad draw and no flavor...
one cigar that i just scratch my head over when everyone raves about them.
i bought a 5 pack off a BOTL on another forum, from a top notch vendor, i've bought a few singles while in germany where i get all my other cigars in person, and i've got a few from other BOTL in trades... none have been worth lighting up, to be honest.

just my luck, i suppose. at least some people like 'em.

·
Banned
6,267 Posts

Greg, one with a little bit O' age is on the way for you tomorrow.

Like it or..... to hell with you :D :r

·
-
11,419 Posts

LasciviousXXX said:
Greg, one with a little bit O' age is on the way for you tomorrow.

Like it or..... to hell with you :D :r
dustin, you don't have to. i think the ones i had previously also had some age... anyway, if it gets here, i'll smoke it and report back to you how it went.

btw - finally got to see what you sent me. thanks a lot. although i don't remember what they were... i'm a bit jet-lagged.

·
Banned
6,267 Posts

Man, at this point I have no freakin' idea what I sent you. Probably some Consuergas :D

Which reminds me..... I have to go post a review on 'em for Slowhand.

·
-
11,419 Posts

LasciviousXXX said:
Man, at this point I have no freakin' idea what I sent you. Probably some Consuergas :D

Which reminds me..... I have to go post a review on 'em for Slowhand.
i think one is an ERDM CS, a Sancho Panza Beli, and something else... i'll take a photo....

·
Banned
6,267 Posts

Sweet, I have no idea what I sent you but hopefully they didn't suck. :) Yeah, I really like those ERDM CS's, I forget who turned me onto them. I think it was 1f1fan. If it was then thanx bro! I keep a couple on hand as they are great smokes.

·
Registered
53 Posts

I got my 1st cab last year 03 and another last month 04 and both are great smokes but I tend to like the 04s better. This is truely an overlooked vitola, over shadowed by the punch punch. hope newbie opinions count as I would like to continue to post.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts