Cigar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bride found the CC bill so I spent last night at a charity auction and this afternoon at Cathy Rigby does Peter Pan. Wasn’t as bad as I thought it might be. The woman had some talent and they had good gin at intermission. Dinner at the in laws with 5 of my nieces and nephews. Home and she said well I’ve got some catching up to do so she headed for the mall. I was due for a good smoke so cracked a new box of these.

One of the cigars in the box head was not well made. Seemed a little off kilter and pointy under the cap. Checked the others and this one seemed to be the only one with that issue so it died first.

This is a 5 x 48 cigar. After the cut all seemed well, the funky part was all in the head. Like the smoker here. Smelled good, nice pre-light draw, flavorful and rich. I like cigars that give you a hint before you light them. Draw was just a tich on the firm side which is my preference so off to the races (Car wash) we went.

First light was good that non descript woody cedar settling in flavor. About a half inch in tongue tingle and twang. Rich slightly sweet but not like some. About and inch in OOHHH tasty. Creamy, smooth but with a strength and additional fullness that I find lacking in the 46’s so far.

About the halfway point got a flavor profile that in my limited experience is best described as an aged montie # 2. Ethereal woody 3 dimensional. I was in the car wash line for most of this smoke so could focus just on the stick. Realized that I was buzzin pretty good at this time and some of my notes are unintelligible. Creamy with a flavor I had a hard time describing.. but good

Draw for the entire smoke was perfect. Burn – not one correction lick or light. During the last 1/3 the flavor was new to me and searched for some way to describe it. Settled on the aftertaste of peanut brittle. That there was something sweet, nutty and salty here a few minutes ago and this flavor is the memory of it vs. what it was like while chewing it. Nubbed it after nursing it like it was my last.

This is one fine smoke at the price. It has a real nice size and flavor for winter activities. Burned about 40 minutes. May be my second repeat purchase.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Re: H. Upmann - Connoisseur No.1

Da Klugs said:
This is one fine smoke at the price. It has a real nice size and flavor for winter activities. Burned about 40 minutes. May be my second repeat purchase.
Very nice review. Not talked about as much as some other cigars .. I may need to "investigate". How old are the ones you have?
Sean

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

SeanGAR said:
Very nice review. Not talked about as much as some other cigars .. I may need to "investigate". How old are the ones you have?
Sean
I'm glad you like it Amigo, I like Upmann too. Great review with added story, that's why i love reading your post.

Salud!

·
Duke of prunes
537 Posts

Great review Klugs!
I'm not a big fan of the Mags either, but the #1s sound yummy!
:r

·
CS Cog
1,097 Posts

Had one from 2003 tonight. Fantastic. I've been smoking bundle smokes all week long and haven't craved a Cuban for over 2 weeks so this is one of the best smokes I've had in awhile.

From appearance, nice oily, smooth wrapper. Perfect. Clipped and lit. Like Dave, the first half inch was nothing great and the cigar simply was settling in for excellence. Once the flavor hit, it didn't stop all the way till the end. Very smooth, creamy and full of the Cuban finish to it. I've found with some Cubans the finish I love comes in at the beginning and fades but this one had a very prominent, long finish. Flavor got more intense halfway through. While the tar started to build up at the end despite purging, I enjoyed the flavor and it didn't keep me from putting it down. Burn was straight all the way with no corrections needed.. ash held firm yada yada all the jazz you hear about a great cigar. I'm surprised I don't hear a lot on this cigar on this forum. I think a box purchase is in line for me.

·
Registered
13,086 Posts

carbonbased_al said:
Gabe gave me a freakin box of these when I flew out to SD. I've smoked three so far, all have been damned good for 05s. Gonna let the rest sit for awile.
Yep. They were SO good.
Here's a pic of Joe with the SLB of H. Upmann - Connoisseur No.1
:D

·
Registered
2,710 Posts

Thanks Dave,

I've had one of these and your review brings some very nice memories to the forefront of conscienceness - a nice flashback - that's why I say thanks.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

I tore through a box Upmann Conny's from about Aug. 05. They were a great smoke and once they settled in they became very smooth and creamy. Even young, the Conny is a top notch stick that shapes up quite quickly with about 2-3 weeks in the humidor. Klugs review is dead on and I believe they have a dimension which tends to be lacking in the Magnum 46. My only departure from Klug's review is that I find the Conny to be a bit more mild (kind of like a Hoyo Epicure #2 without that pronounced sweet, honey component).

A very nice cigar especially when polishing off a bottle of Diplomatico!:al

Oh yeah!

ATL

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

pnoon said:
Yep. They were SO good.
That looks like Ron at the last TW herf!:r

ATL

·
Registered
2,219 Posts

pnoon said:
Yep. They were SO good.
Great pic. I bet he's not looking to good these days either.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts

This use to be my go to cigar for several years; one of the few with JL's and old Epicures and BBF's that didn't have bands - easy to come home from Europe with. The whole Upmann line is a winner in my book, hard to find a lemon in their product line.

·
Registered
283 Posts

What a great cigar! It became my favorite robusto last year when I tried an 04, and since then I had a creamy 05 (put the rest away) and just tonight ordered a box from 03 that I can't wait to try!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.