Cigar Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Curious if you are brining it? Best turkeys I have had and cooked are smoked.
I don't often brine turkeys when I smoke them or deep fry them, I stuff them with sweet apples, onion and garlic. I'll layer strips of bacon over the bird so as the bacon renders it keeps the skin moist and stops it from drying out. For the last 30 minutes of cooking I remove the bacon and crank the heat up to brown and crisp the skin. Comes out pretty good every time.
If I am doing a really heavy bird (about 18-20 lbs) I'll spatchcock it and tie it back.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
656 Posts
@zcziggy in my experience the combo units have more issues then isolated units. If it were me I would invest the money into a decent grill. Then you can get the griddle plate for your grill. This actually has multiple benefits. First you can sear your meat on the hot griddle plate. Then you can move your meat to the upper rack of the grill, close the lid and in a sense create an oven atmosphere to finish the cook. Plus the cleaning of the griddle top is sooo much easier. You don’t have to get grill bricks and scour the “flat top”. It’s also very easy to create zones on the flat top, the same way you can on an isolated unit. Simply put the more parts there are the more that can go wrong. A good quality grill will last years and years with minor maintenance. It will cost prolly 50/75 extra for the flat top “conversion”. And unless you have have an accident with a plasma cutter I doubt your going to damage a half inch thick steel plate, for lack of a better term

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
@zcziggy in my experience the combo units have more issues then isolated units. If it were me I would invest the money into a decent grill. Then you can get the griddle plate for your grill. This actually has multiple benefits. First you can sear your meat on the hot griddle plate. Then you can move your meat to the upper rack of the grill, close the lid and in a sense create an oven atmosphere to finish the cook. Plus the cleaning of the griddle top is sooo much easier. You don’t have to get grill bricks and scour the “flat top”. It’s also very easy to create zones on the flat top, the same way you can on an isolated unit. Simply put the more parts there are the more that can go wrong. A good quality grill will last years and years with minor maintenance. It will cost prolly 50/75 extra for the flat top “conversion”. And unless you have have an accident with a plasma cutter I doubt your going to damage a half inch thick steel plate, for lack of a better term
Did not consider doing that. Since is only my wife and I left at home, the current grill is an overkill, so I thought a combo will use the same space and gave me the option of cooking different stuff on it.
I have a weber summit so the first part is there. You think buying a regular kitchen cast iron stove top griddle would do the trick?. If not, can you recommend one?
If so...Philly steaks and omelets are on the menu for the weekend!!
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Definitely good advice.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 43 Posts