Cigar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know this is movie and book reviews but I just don't see that many movies anymore and reading makes my brain hurt. But I listen to a metric butt-ton of music and I just got home from the bar where this album played a lot.

American Idiot seems to be everywhere right now. This is an album that is being roundly praised by just about every critic right now and I have to disagree. To be fair, I have never really been a Green Day fan. They have that poppy kind of sound that has never appealed to me but they do have a big fan base, so what do I know. My roommate owns this album and loves it so she has been playing it a lot lately. Through osmosis and my judgemental nature, I've already formed an opinion.

I think the album is interesting, but in my opinion it's not worth the laurels that are being bestowed on it. Now I'm approaching it from an old type punk aesthetic where I believe stripping music down is a good thing. This is a concept album and to me it sounds like Rent or some other musical, which is something I'm not into. Jesus of Suburbia is a track that shows Green Day's talent and also their flaws. It's a nine minute(!) punk song that meanders and then drags on and on. Or it's a great rock opera opus, depending on your tastes. Personally, I think there is probably a good two minute song in there being smothered in orchestrated filler.

That pretty much sums up my opinion of the whole album. I like my punk stripped down, noisy and raw. This album is pretty much counter to that in every way. Fans of rock operas and concept albums will undoubtedly find a lot to appreciate. It's just not my cup of tea, and not a trend that I would like to see continue in Punk.

·
-
11,412 Posts
i read somewhere that they wanted this to be a "punk rock opera", like there have been rock opera's in the past...

while i haven't heard this album, i was a fan of green days when they were punk (read: before they were mainstream and everyone knew of them and they changed their sound). i have a few of their albums/CDs, but i really love to just put on their CDs and sing a long to the mindless nonsense...

anyway, i heard this was a punk rock opera aimed at GWBush... most punk was original aimed/started to question politics, i can't comment if they're right/wrong as i haven't heard the words.... knowing that it's meant for that reason, i think i'll stay away from it (not because it's GW bashing - but because i don't want an entire CD to be aimed at politics).

where's their songs about "choking the chicken", being bored and acting a fool?

i like their older stuff though... but i doubt i'll pick this one up.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I also prefer their older stuff. Speaking of really political music....The Beasty Boys new album is highly political. Regardless of the fact they are dogging on President Bush, I don't want Politics in my music.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
As much as I love my ol' skewel three chord punk rawk, too many pop punk bands have come along in the past couple of years, sporting faux-hawks and guitars covered with "ironic" stickers (to a 15 year old, maybe), and I just can't stand to listen anymore. Green Day may be the "godfathers" of the second wave of punk, but it all sounds the same now.

Anyway, I like my lyrics either funny and frivelous, or downright cryptic. Bands like Interpol, Franz Ferdinand, Turin Brakes, that's the stuff that's been floatin' my boat of late. :)

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
Love Green Day; wouldn't own American Idiot if they paid me to.

I don't want actors/musicians/models or anyone else who gets media coverage to use the spotlight to spew political rhetoric at me. Because someone has musical talent/ looks good/ has a kickass body/ etc gives their political opinions no merit. I am sick of Hollywood doing this in particular; but musicians are being dragged into this mentality by MTV now as well.

Gotta love the success of the vote or die and rock the vote movements last year; a very low percentage of the masses of voters they got registered actually took the 20 minutes to vote. They were either too stoned or too busy playing XBox to take the time. MTV and all of its rock stars will not overcome teenage apathy no matter how many kids they get to register. Thank God, to think of who I would have voted for whilst in college!

-Matt-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.