Cigar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction
The Gran Habano # 5 has gotten (and given) all sorts of buzz for it's strong full flavored qualities at a reasonable price. After smoking about ½ my box of the # 5's decided to look at some of the other GH sticks to see what they were like. Bought a box of the Gran Habano Habano # 3's a couple of months ago. Decided to smoke the third one today while on yet another in a seemingly never ending series of office furniture shopping trips.

Pre-Light Ruminations
These are well made firm 6 x 54 cigars. They are made in Honduras but interestingly have no Honduran tobacco in them. Costa Rican, Nicaraguan, and Mexican fill with Nicaraguan binder and Nicaraguan Habano seed wrapper. (Courtesy of Famous Smoke) These smell great slightly sweet and taste the same. Much more silky and smooth than the # 5's wrapper.

Initial Thoughts
No waiting for flavor. Right out of the gate she was rich and deep. No harshness just a full flavored medium bodied smoke. Lit great and burned great from the first to last puff. These are not at all like the # 5's. A lot of the basic flavors are there but they stand out in relief more as these cigars lack the raw strength of the # 5. You don't need a good beverage to enjoy the heck out of them. Kept thinking, why hasn't anyone talked about these sticks. Others must like the medium bodied smoke like I do at least occasionally.

Smoking Experience
I really, really liked this cigar. It has real 3d flavor qualities that you find in ISOM's. It has the pepper but only a little and not all the time, it has some cinnamon but not overpowering, nice leather like (I guess that's the description) qualities. It got some spice weaving into the heady smooth full volume of smoke it put out. The flavors came and went but the whole stick stayed multidimensional never too much of any one sensation. I thought this was a solid medium bodied cigar that traversed the upper and lower boundaries to mild and strong at least flavor wise during the smoke. It never got harsh it never got flat. Felt more than tasted a rich sweetness underlying the flavor profile for the entire last 2/3 of the smoke. Sounds like one of those tastes great less filling type ads but this is one fine stick.

Final Thoughts
Great medium bodied stick. About as close to an ISOM type depth as any non ISOM stick I have smoked. I'd give it to friends, fight enemies trying to take it. For $ 3.25 anyone who likes the full rich medium type stick should have some in the humi.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Re: Gran Habano Habano # 3 Gran Robusto

Good Review Just smoked one of my first #5's last week and was blown away. Looks like I'll have to get some #3,s also.

Over the last five yrs I'm starting to really notice the SA and Island cigars getting better and better with a lot more flavor and body. These are another great under $5 example.

·
Registered
978 Posts

I gotta tell ya Klugsie -- these are darn fine reviews you're putting up lately. Far cry from the "What's your favorite cafeteria food" threads you were flipping to us a few weeks ago! Keep 'em coming!

As to the #3's, i hear ya. No real press here compared to the 5's and they are really a fine smoke. I had a box of the Roth's in my humidor and txMatt flipped me a Gran Robusto as a piece of shrapnel lately. (THANKS Matt!)

The one thing i really like about the Gran Habano line is the way they can pack in the heft, make a really dense cigar, and have it draw like a dream. Full, rich, bountiful, and easy pulls of deeply satisfying clouds of smoke. I swear, every time i pull one from the humidor, and i pick it up and squeeze it, it feels heavy and dense. It crosses my mind, "sh&%! another plugged cigar". I have yet to have a bad draw on these. Truely a testament to their quality control and craftsmanship.

_____
rm

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Roger Miller" said:
I gotta tell ya Klugsie -- these are darn fine reviews you're putting up lately. Far cry from the "What's your favorite cafeteria food" threads you were flipping to us a few weeks ago! Keep 'em coming!

_____
rm
Thank you, I'm trying. But life is like a good cigar, a multidimensional experience that is best savored when sharing the experience with others. Just talking about cigars would mean a less vibrant and interesting Club Stogie. The difference over the past couple weeks is that I made a commitment to "also" talk about cigars. Kinda forgot about that for a while. And what the heck, cafeteria food can be interesting to talk about as we inhale between puffs can't it?

·
Registered
904 Posts

Da Klugs said:
cafeteria food can be interesting to talk about as we inhale between puffs can't it?
I miss my SOS :)

·
Bacon Lover
808 Posts

Roger Miller" said:
. The one thing i really like about the Gran Habano line is the way they can pack in the heft, make a really dense cigar, and have it draw like a dream. Full, rich, bountiful, and easy pulls of deeply satisfying clouds of smoke. I swear, every time i pull one from the humidor, and i pick it up and squeeze it, it feels heavy and dense. It crosses my mind, "sh&%! another plugged cigar". I have yet to have a bad draw on these. Truely a testament to their quality control and craftsmanship.

_____
rm
Can't wait to try em! I LOVE the JDN Antanos, but am getting REALLY TIRED of buying a box and half of them have unsmokable draws.. Im glad to hear the GH have better draws. I have a #5 Churchhill and #3 Robusto waiting in my humi for this weekend. Been sitting on them for 2 weeks to allow for full enjoyment. The curiosity has been killing me!!!!!

·
Registered
978 Posts

smokemifyagotem said:
Can't wait to try em! I LOVE the JDN Antanos, but am getting REALLY TIRED of buying a box and half of them have unsmokable draws..
Wow, i've never heard that complaint with this line before. I have never run into this problem myself either, and i've herfed a number of boxes. Curious. Anybody else have this problem?

_____
rm

·
Definitely not a puff fan
1,804 Posts

Never had a draw problem w/JdN Antano - 8+boxes..........

some a little tighter than others, but nary a "bad" draw :confused:

that being said - I'll take the #5's over the #3's anyday. #3's are good smokes but the #5's really do it for me.

·
Punch Suckling in Brain
1,116 Posts

You are right, #3 is a very good cigar. My first choice by far is the #5. When they are out, I don't look at the #3 as settling. My shop just got in the Connecticut blend as well. That might be perfect for a mild morning cigar.

·
Bacon Lover
808 Posts

Roger Miller" said:
Wow, i've never heard that complaint with this line before. I have never run into this problem myself either, and i've herfed a number of boxes. Curious. Anybody else have this problem?

_____
rm
For the past year every box of Robusto grandes or Gran Consuls have tight draws. Maybe "unsmokable" is a bit of an exageration, but definitely not enjoyable - hard to get a lot of smoke.

·
Definitely not a puff fan
1,804 Posts

smokemifyagotem said:
For the past year every box of Robusto grandes or Gran Consuls have tight draws. Maybe "unsmokable" is a bit of an exageration, but definitely not enjoyable - hard to get a lot of smoke.
hope quality isn't headed downhill as this line's popularity increases.....

·
Bacon Lover
808 Posts

very, VERY frustrating as these are my fav smokes. $70 a box isn't a deal if your only getting 10 enjoyable cigars....

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Sorry a wierd place but started it here. May send my local for these...

St. Patty's Day Specials! (CI retail store)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This week we're offering so many exciting deals and fun-filled events your head's gonna spin!
Let's start off with our weekly 5-pack special at over 50% off our already low price:

Camacho Corojo Toro (6" x 50)

Regular price - $26.00
SPECIAL PRICE: - $12.50

The Camacho Corojo is a staple in the diet of any full-bodied enthusiast, and it's easy to see why. With an astounding '93 rating from Cigar Aficionado, this Honduran puro delivers an extremely rich, earthy, well-rounded taste that satisfies the most discerning of palates.
Oh, did I forget to mention the Camacho Corojo was named the top full-bodied cigar in the world by Cigar Cyclopedia? And yes, Cubans were included among the entries!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.