Cigar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I want to thank AD720 for gifting this cigar to me, via the Puff for Pennies MAW.

If I'm being honest, I was a bit skeptical a $1 (apx value) would really be worth the time. I humbly stand corrected. It's so true what they say about judging a book by it's cover--you can't/shouldn't judge a cigar by its price point.

On to the review...

At first blush, the Palma Real looked to be on the rugged side, especially near the cap. The texture of the wrapper was not even, with a distinct hand rolled look and feel about it. I also noticed that the band was a bit too large for the RG of the cigar. Appearances aside, the inviting pre-light aroma was subtle and sweet. I wasn't able to glean any hints of distinct flavors pre-light, but this only served to heighten my anticipation. Like you'd expect the Palio cut right through, producing a ready to smoke cigar. The draw however, was a little tight, but I thought I'd go with it first, rather than make a second cut. I was afraid the cap/wrapper might unravel if I were to make a second cut--call it a gut feeling, which was later confirmed as the wrapper did unravel some.

I was meet, upon my initial draw, with the surprise of creamy honey flavor washing over every taste bud. The cigar had hooked me, all my preconceived ideas about "cheap" cigar were now lying limp on the floor. This unique flavor combination did however, dissipate after about the 5th draw and never did return, until the very end.

While I had burn problems throughout (note pictures below), there was a good amount of smoking being produced; which I like. Also the ash was firm and held well; sort of "flaky" though. It reminded me of the ash characteristics of a Rocky Patel. As you can see the burn was uneven all throughout the length of the cigar, and no amount of trying to fix this issue proved helpful. I ultimately left it go and tried to smoke around it.

As I worked my way through the cigar, I began to pick up on hints of an earthy flavor mixed with the flavor of a dry roasted peanut. This wasn't a poor flavor combination, however, I'd rather of had the creamy honey flavor dominate the flavor pallet of this cigar. By the 2/3 mark, the flavor was unchanged, and in fact, it never did really change at all. However, I did begin to notice a bitter taste as I neared the end of the cigar. I suspect this was due to the burn issue.

Over all I was happy enough with my first experience with a Palma Real cigar, and for the price I'd say it was darn good smoke, despite the burn problems. If I were to rate this cigar, I'd rate it 7.5 / 10. Had it not been for the burn problems I'd given it an 8 / 10.

One last picture just for fun...thanks for reading.

·
Silverback
2,607 Posts
Great review. Thanks.

·
Elder Jungle Leader
4,989 Posts
Thanks for the review of what appears to be an inexpensive quality smoking experience. I guess JRs Lew Rothman is right.
"What's the difference between a $2 cigar and a $10 cigar? Eight bucks." :ss

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
That review makes me wanna get a Palio.
:r jackass!

Good review. I don't concur, but good review.

After my 1st Short Story I spotted these cigars at the shop and noticed that there was a small perfecto much like the SS, so I picked it up thinking it would just as good. Oh, how wrong I was.

The next time I pass that shop I'll grab one just to give it another go and see.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have found that i enjoy quite a few "value" cigars.

I like em all...the dog rockets, skunk rockets, pig rockets, sh*t sticks, rolle dhay, noodles, boners, whatever you want to call em...

I have only found some Thompson House brand that was god awful.

I really like em. and they're CHEAP!
:ss:ss:ss:ss:ss:ss:ss:ss

1 - 11 of 11 Posts