Cigar Forums banner

Good old Jim Beam bourbon

3K views 37 replies 28 participants last post by  Lumpold 
#1 ·
In my younger years I loved Jim Beam then I got "class" and started to experiment with cognac. Then blended Scotch which led me to high end Single Malts which ultimately led me around to single batch bourbons and rye.
About a year ago I found that bourbon had become my regular drink and on a whim I picked up a pint of Jim Beam. Man that is real bourbon. Now that is all that I drink. Great with a cigar. Straight up in cold weather and on the rocks in the heat it can't be beat. To hell with an educated palate and salty sea air and iodine and burnt heather. Good old American whiskey!

#3 ·
Good old Jim Beam is right,Gonna setup a wireless router for a buddy of mine tomorrow night and thats what he'll be serving me for my trouble.. Wish he smoked stogies too. I used to drink Beam all the time but got into all the so called more refined libations as well. After reading your post sgoselin it has me looking forward to it. Thanks

#5 ·
Try the black You'll never go back!

Really I'm a Jack Daniels Bourbon drinker but a friend got me a bottle of this when I was visiting him in Alaska. Got to admit it was one great bourbon.

Still have never found anything to beat Blantons single malt though.

#7 ·
Jim is a good, smooth, relaxing drink, but I've always been partial to Jack.

Experiment:
Drink a pint or 1/2 pint of Jim Beam one night, or day,
Then drink the same amount of Jack at another time.
You'll notice the latter offers a more intense adrenaline filled "happy time" :al

Any one else agree?? Disagree?? Agree to Disagree?

#10 ·
Hey LastClick, I must respectfully agree to disagree. I am not a Jack fan. After Jim Beam I would go with IW Harper or Old Crow. Actually any bourbon is damn good, but we all have our preferences.

#13 ·
If I am drinking on the rocks it is Crown or a single malt, if I am mixing with cola it is Uncle Jimmy. Even though I live in Tennessee I don’t really like Jack Daniels. It is just too oaky, and it makes me want to fight everyone I see.

Jim is my wife’s favorite drink. She can really put that stuff away. :al
The first time I went to her apartment I couldn't believe all of the Jim Beam bottles she and her roommate had drank. The kept most of the handles and fifths that they had emptied above their kitchen cabinets. When they moved out after 2 years they had over 40 bottles. That is only the bottles they had drank at the apartment, its not counting all the Beam and diet cokes they had at bars and the airplane bottles they took to football games. That works out to be just over 4 drinks per week per person. Not bad for a couple of prissy girls.

#14 ·
well I'm upstairs for the night.. turning in early. .. my wife is already in bed watching the freaking bachelorette..... but all this talk of Jim and Jack has got me going and I'm about to sneak downstairs and pour me a little night time medicine :al before I retire to the bedroom! Here goes boys! See you tomorrow... if i can wake up by then!

MoD

#15 ·
Being the poor college age kid that I am (I am taking a year off right now to hike the Appalachian Trail), Jim Beam is about as good as it gets. It is always enjoyable. Jim Beam straight up, along with Crown and Coke, is my favorite winter drink.

#16 ·
I like Beam.
I like Jack.
I like Old Granddad
I like the Turkey, 101, all Turkeys
I like Makers Mark
I like Bookers, but it kicks my ass all over town
I like Knob Creek
I like Blantons
I like Bakers
I like Buffalo trace
I like Elijah Craig
I like Woodford Reserve
I go to Bourbon street every year at last once

I've never met a bourbon that I didn't like (yeah I know, Jack ain't bourbon....).

#17 ·
Jim, in all its forms are great bourbon. Turkey 101 is one of my top ten to say the least. Surprisingly, when i dont want a whiskey to interfere with a mild cigar, Wisers is the drink for me. Shit, whiskey, in all its names, bottles, and styles are my favs, period! :D :D :D

....kjpman

#19 ·
Sickboy said:
I agree man. I've loved Jim Beam for years. Some of my friends have 'moved on' to more 'sophisticated' bourbons. I'll spend my 10 bucks and enjoy Beam anytime. I'll spend what I save on better cigars. lol :D
I did the same thing with Jack Daniels. I used to drink Jack rocks or Manhattan rocks made with Jack. I tried all the small batch stuff and spent a lot of money on bourbon and ended up back at Jack.

I found Woodford Reserve a little harsh, Makers is good if it's on sale, Knob Creek is brown sugar smooth and I'll buy it on sale, Evan Williams is smooth and a lot of bang for the buck, Bookers I can't justify spending that kind of money, for 15 bucks I can get Jack and it's always on.

#20 ·
Jim Beam is my regular drink. Sometimes on the rocks, sometimes with a coke. Have been preaching it's virtues for years. I am also really fond of Ezra Brooks, another good bourbon flying under the radar. I figure any company that goes to the expense to cork their bottles with real cork versus synthetic or screw tops probably have diehard traditionalists running the show who care about a quality product. Enjoyable on the rocks, sweeter than Jimmy. Frank B

#21 ·
miketafc said:
Really I'm a Jack Daniels Bourbon drinker but a friend got me a bottle of this when I was visiting him in Alaska.
:sb BLASPHEMY!!! You should be fired at the stake for calling Jack Daniel's Bourbon! There is a reason Jack puts "sour mash whiskey" on the label, you mongrel!! :sb :D

Jim Beam is good stuff, however my bourbon of choice lately is Knobb Creek. This stuff totally rocks for the price. When I break out the better stuff I switch to Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year. I am thinking about splurging on a bottle of their Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve here soon.

Whisky/Whiskey is my spirit of choice; and I am most fond of Single Malt Scotch, Irish, and Bourbon. I try to keep a couple bottles of each variety on hand; but I am STILL OUT OF RED Breast DAMNIT!!

Tonight I layered a Young's Oatmeal stout on a Dogfish head 60 Minute IPA and was in brewsky heaven. Darnit, when drinking layered beer alone you have to finish both bottles yourself! :al

-Matt-

#22 ·
Ok, all this talk of Jim Beam, hell I've only drank JB with coke. Let me grab my 1.75 liter bottle and try this here stuff neat. There we go, just a little, there. :al :pu OK, so it's not horrible, but I think I'll just stick with mixin this stuff with coke, thank you!! Now I gotta wash this taste outta my mouth. Come here Mr. Van Winkle! :al Ahhh, that's the stuff!!

#24 ·
floydp said:
After seeing Bad Santa,I tried Old Grand Dad and it ain't bad..
Got some of that when I was in Kin-tucky! Gonna drop it on my dad this weekend.... can't wait to see his face.

Went to the Beam Distillery - awesome place - millions of barrels everywhere! I'd recommend a visit to anyone who's a Beam Fan - also, gotta try Bookers -
'sgoodstuff!

BTW, found out when I was there, Bookers and Knob Creek are both Beam Products!

#25 ·
My friend bought a 1.75 litre bottle of the Jim Beam Black (86 proof) last week. Great Stuff!!! :al

My go-to whickey has always been any of the Wild Turkey offerings.....they're all good!!

However, I've recently stumbled upon a brand that was mentioned above: Buffalo Trace. (Formerly Ancient Age). It was very good!
It was just introduced a few years ago under this name. It actually hails from the oldest distillery in North America!

(And you'll be suprised to see what brands they make:

Brand Distillery Age Proof
Ancient Age Barrel Buffalo Trace 10 107
Ancient Age Buffalo Trace n/a 80
Ancient Age Buffalo Trace n/a 100
Ancient Ancient Age Buffalo Trace n/a n/a
Ancient Ancient Age Buffalo Trace 10 86
Ancient Ancient Age Buffalo Trace 10 90
Ancient Ancient Age Buffalo Trace n/a 90
Antique Collection - Eagle Rare Buffalo Trace 17 90
Antique Collection - Sazerac Rye Buffalo Trace 18 90
Antique Collection - W.L. Weller Buffalo Trace 19 90
Blanton's - Gold Buffalo Trace 10 103
Blanton's - Original Buffalo Trace 10 93
Blanton's - Silver Buffalo Trace 10 98
Blanton's - Special Reserve Buffalo Trace n/a 80
Buffalo Trace Buffalo Trace n/a 90
Eagle Rare SB Buffalo Trace 10 90
Eagle Rare Buffalo Trace 10 101
Eagle Rare Buffalo Trace 15 100
Elmer T. Lee - SB Buffalo Trace n/a 90
George T. Stagg - 2002 Buffalo Trace 15 137
George T. Stagg - 2003 Buffalo Trace n/a 142
George T. Stagg - 2004 Buffalo Trace n/a 129
Hancock's President's Reserve - Buffalo Trace n/a 88
McAfee's Benchmark Buffalo Trace n/a n/a
Old Charter - 10 YO Buffalo Trace 10 86
Old Charter - 8 YO Buffalo Trace 8 80
Old Charter - BIB Buffalo Trace n/a 100
Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve Buffalo Trace 13 90
Old Charter Buffalo Trace 12 90
W.L. Weller Buffalo Trace n/a 90
W.L. Weller 12 YO Buffalo Trace 12 90
W.L. Weller Centennial Buffalo Trace 10 100
W.L. Weller Special Reserve Buffalo Trace n/a 90
ORVW - 10 YO Buffalo Trace - ORVW 10 107
ORVW - 10 YO Buffalo Trace - ORVW 10 90
ORVW - 15 YO Buffalo Trace - ORVW 15 107
Pappy Family Reserve 15yr Buffalo Trace - ORVW 15 107
ORVW Old Time Rye - 12 YO Buffalo Trace - ORVW 12 90
Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve Buffalo Trace - ORVW 20 90
Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve Buffalo Trace - ORVW 23 95
Van Winkle 15 YO Buffalo Trace - ORVW 20 107
Van Winkle Reserve Rye Buffalo Trace - ORVW 13 95
Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B Buffalo Trace - ORVW 12 90

So go out and get yourself a bottle..... :al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.