Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Bull Goose Gorilla
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love cigars. To me most cigars are good cigars with a few exceptions. However, what about truly great cigars. I view each cigar as a unique and individual experience. I may prefer certain brands and have had some great boxes, but utimately it comes down to that single cigar at a certain point in time.
So what have been your truly great cigars?

I posted this in the Habanos Lounge because personally I have never had a truly great non-ISOM. Others may have a different experience.

·
-
11,412 Posts
my first PSD4 was an eye-opener, in more ways than one. wasn't my first cuban cigar, i was just in Germany, had a list of robusto-sized cigars i wanted to try and figure out what was going to be my first box i bought. sat down that night with my PSD4, and the pepper power knocked me back a few inches in my chair. my eyes got so big (you can ask coppertop), and he thought something was wrong, then this silly (as my dad would call it, "sh*t eatin' grin") came over my face.... ah....

then there was every single Punch PP from a 5-pack (cab from '98) that i bought off of Herfzilla. each one was better than the previous. amazing cigar, tied with that PSD4 as the best cigars i've ever had.

·
Registered
79 Posts
AF 13
Black banded Forbidden X
Cohiba DC EL
AF Anejo ( any size )
Cohiba Esplendito

All of these have made my all time favorites list.

I have a pair of the God of Fire sticks that get more droolstained every day. They might make the list at some point, but they are most likely in for a long nap before they ever see a torch.

·
Can walk again.
8,205 Posts
IHT said:
my first PSD4 was an eye-opener, in more ways than one. wasn't my first cuban cigar, i was just in Germany, had a list of robusto-sized cigars i wanted to try and figure out what was going to be my first box i bought. sat down that night with my PSD4, and the pepper power knocked me back a few inches in my chair. my eyes got so big (you can ask coppertop), and he thought something was wrong, then this silly (as my dad would call it, "sh*t eatin' grin") came over my face.... ah....
That is exactly ,minus coppertop and Germany, my experience with my first PSD4! My first habano period. It wasn't that long ago, just after I joined CS. :) Again thanks to P-Town Smokes. I think I'll always remember that one. You know, where you were, what you were doing kinda thing.

:ms NCRM

·
Registered
549 Posts
PSD4 was my buddies first Habano. I have never had one so I don't know if he is making it up, but he said it was like heaven. I have never been to heaven either so...I don't know if he is making that up also.

·
Registered
212 Posts
great too see you posting steve !

wow, thats a tough but excelent question...

my favorite all time single smoking experience or the cigars i found truely amazing...
a dunhill estupendo , a toaboda canon, a davidoff dom perignon, and a cohiba lancero, in that order.

im not sure if i got the spelling correct as i only had a single or two of each except for the cohibas that is..no full boxes...like bruce..lol these may make his lawn gar list..
but these were to me simply unforgetable.

·
Registered
803 Posts
RASS
RyJ Ex4
CoSiglo1
CoRo
Party 898 (varnished)
Dip4

Here are some of my fav's.

·
still puffin
1,001 Posts
only smokes i have had that were "great"...upmann super coronas...a quantum step above any other habanos i have ever had.

so much depends on the situation/environment at the time...some of my most enjoyable cigars...were while being a passenger in my wifes car.

derrek :)

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
The cigar, for me, by which all other cigars will be judged was my first Bolivar Belicoso Fino. It was from 1995 and had the darkest wrapper I've ever seen on a Cuban. The flavors were so strong they lasted for hours on my palate and gave me a certain bounce to my step that no cigar since has matched.

There are other cigars I've considered good to great, including some PSD4s and well-aged HDM Double Coronas. As far as NCs go, the Fuente Anejo I had two weeks ago was a wonderful cigar but "greatness" I'm not sure...I guess I'll just have to smoke a few more to make up my mind :D

·
Bull Goose Gorilla
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since I started this post I should throw in my .02. This is harder then I thought, LOL. I remember a Bolivar Tubed Churchil from 1970 that still synged off my nose hairs. A Davidoff #1 from 88, sublime. A Cohiba Espendido from the first year of production. Those are the ones that come to mind, but there are probably more then a few others if I give it more thought. Oh yeah, a RyJ Celestial Finos from 78.

·
In Mojita Mania
614 Posts
Truly great for me:

93 Boli CE (gifted to me by a member of CS who is unfortunately no longer with us )

Davidoff #1 (smoked while relaxing at the Venetian last summer, ty CT)

Jorge mareeva

There have been others that were VERY good, but the above stand out as great.

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
sgoselin said:
I love cigars. To me most cigars are good cigars with a few exceptions. However, what about truly great cigars. I view each cigar as a unique and individual experience. I may prefer certain brands and have had some great boxes, but utimately it comes down to that single cigar at a certain point in time.
So what have been your truly great cigars?

I posted this in the Habanos Lounge because personally I have never had a truly great non-ISOM. Others may have a different experience.
Same here, almost all cigars are good cigars, there are very few that I won't smoke. But there are only two cigars that have ever blown me away and were that great, never forget cigar. The first was a Joya de Nicarauga natty Counsul, not Antonio or Celbration. Keep going back once and awhile but have never found another one the same. I think it was a fluke of nature that will never be repeated. The second was a San Cristobal de La Habana El Principe, a Christmas gift from Secret Santa Seangar. I can remember where and what I was doing when I smoked them if not the date (CRS) and the constant looking at the cigar as if my staring at it would somehow somehow tell me what in the hell in the cigar was sooo tasty. I remember also at the first SD mini-herf; someone gifted one of the clerks a PSD4 and he fired it up and then came out to thank us for giving him one and he keept staring at the damn thing and it just loosened his tounge and he was a long lost buddy, still makes a point to talk to me when I go in there (I still have the one you gave me Seangar, I'm saving it for Christmas this year buudy). They do stick in your memory, don't they! And its fun to watch when that happens to somebody you're smoking with. Watch when they get silent, that SEgrin comes across their face and they start staring at the cigar! Fun times.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I would say that first PSD4 that I smoked with IHT.

Then would be Party 8-9-8 from 02, and I can't forget that awsome experience of smoking a pre-embargo Partagas courtesy of a CS member.

Those would be my three truely great smokes. But I'm sure there will be more

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
I recently had a VR Farmrolled that blew my socks off. Best smoke I've had period.... bar none. I was at the LCDH in St. Maarten where they had some on hand, it was the best smoke I've had as far as quality and the surroundings were also exquistite.

Other than that, I like most Cubans that I try so I guess they're all good :)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Some of the greatest cigars I've smoked have been nothing too fancy. The first cigar I ever had, was a drugstore machine made deal. I smoked it at a campfire after hiking and imagined I looked pretty cool. The first hand made cigar I had was in the Navy and it was a great experience. I think that it was a Don Tomas.

I remember my first Padron 3K maduro at a pool hall as just being phenomenal. I had trouble shooting pool because I didn't want to put the cigar down. A year or so later I smoked a Padron Anniversary the evening after laying all of the sod in the front yard. I sat on the porch and smoked that with a beer and was blown away at how good a cigar could be.

Then I smoked a PSD4 in my garage after my first Cuban box split and it blew my mind. I couldn't believe the flavors I was getting out of that cigar. It was like suddenly gaining access to a whole new experience. So some of my great cigars I think hold up, and I would still consider them top tier while others are ones that I just had a great experience with.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts