Cigar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of picking up some aged cigars. Are there any years to look out for good or bad?

·
-
11,412 Posts
a lot of people say to look out for '99 and '00. i have yet to run into a problem personally, but that's probably due to a lack of exposure to cigars from these years. (i do have a box of JL PCs from 99 that are fine, and a box of VR DAs from 00 that are great)

sorry i'm not much help.

·
Registered
212 Posts
as iht said the 99 and 00 yr.s were said to be less then exceptional, im cant remember the reason off hand whether it had something to do with a bad crop or disease attacking plants, or cuba trying to keep up with the boom and useing sub standerd tabaco...or maybe im wrong on all accounts.
either way like iht i have several boxes of 99 and 00 and they are all great...whether i got lucky or a bad yr. turned into a good smoke after 5 or 6 yr.s of age which often does happen...so anyway i wouldnt go by anything anyone says about good versus bad yr.s and factirys as cigars can and often do change over the years for better or for worse...ive had tremendous luck with both 99 and 00 box codes..i have bolivars, juan lopez,partagas, and punch from those yr.s smoking great now.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Anyone else...good years perhaps? I am looking for recommendations here. Please do chime in if you have one.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
ilikecigars said:
as iht said the 99 and 00 yr.s were said to be less then exceptional, im cant remember the reason off hand whether it had something to do with a bad crop or disease attacking plants, or cuba trying to keep up with the boom and useing sub standerd tabaco...or maybe im wrong on all accounts.
either way like iht i have several boxes of 99 and 00 and they are all great...whether i got lucky or a bad yr. turned into a good smoke after 5 or 6 yr.s of age which often does happen...so anyway i wouldnt go by anything anyone says about good versus bad yr.s and factirys as cigars can and often do change over the years for better or for worse...ive had tremendous luck with both 99 and 00 box codes..i have bolivars, juan lopez,partagas, and punch from those yr.s smoking great now.
I think it was due to the hurricanes that hit the growing region in cuba and destroyed most of the barns and perhaps the seedlings.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
The years of 99 & 00 years were a crapshoot due more to construction problems more than anything else. Plugged cigars were a plague back then due to Habanos SA focusing more on quantity than quality.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
'03 & '04 GOOD!!
Pre-'97 also GOOD!!
In between, I can have some misgivings. ['95, '96, '97, '98, and '02 you can find some real gems, but may not find them on a consistent basis].

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DaveC said:
stick to the pre 95's, i haven't been let down yet :w i am lovin the reagan years at the moment.
Thanks for the tip Dave. If I had it like that I would probably be lovin'em too.

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts
I have to weigh in since I am a dissenter. In My own Experience, 00 and even 01 are not worth paying cash money for. Every cigar I have had from these years is lacking. In that I mean, everybody talks about how great CC's are over NC's, and they defend them like their own mothers. But as far as the boxes I have had from 00-01, they can't really be called better in these years. I have BBF's from 01 and they suck. I have Boli Lonsdales from 00 and they are not great. I have about 5 other boxes from these years that are also less than spectacular. If I was aging smokes, I wouldn't go below 02. It may take you a little longer, but starting with the best is hardly the worst you could do.
If you can find some fast drying-up 98's or '99's (even 99s are a bit risky), then I would say you could get some "vintage" boxes, but outside that, I'd stick with 03-04. Keep in mind this is my own experience and opinion. You COULD get a great box from 00-01, but for the same money, you could also get crap. IMO, it's not worth the gamble. Just too expensive.

·
Registered
579 Posts
While my ISOM experience is fairly limited, I'm not too shy to say that the 04s and 03s seem to be smoking remarkably well. The 03 Boli I had this past thursday was monumental. I can only imagine what they will be like in '08 or '10.

MoTheMan said:
'03 & '04 GOOD!!
Pre-'97 also GOOD!!
In between, I can have some misgivings. ['95, '96, '97, '98, and '02 you can find some real gems, but may not find them on a consistent basis].

·
Registered
921 Posts
Guys,
I forgot to add that the Millenium Jars of all 3 brands launched in 99 and again rolled out in 00 are an exception for these years. I have had my hands in many of these jars and have not found one bad cigar in the bunch.
Magno - don't be shy... 03 and 04 have been good years for construction and I believe will age very well.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Bruce5 said:
Guys,
I forgot to add that the Millenium Jars of all 3 brands launched in 99 and again rolled out in 00 are an exception for these years. I have had my hands in many of these jars and have not found one bad cigar in the bunch.
Bruce, man, you are a killer! OHBOY OHBOY OHBOY!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Bruce5 said:
Agree with above,
96 thru 98 were acceptable as well.
Just no 99 or 00.
Some of the best Cubans I've smoked were 99 or 00's. True, there were more problems with those years. I think if a vendor lays cigars aside, most of the time it's because he has had good experience with those codes and dates, or they have been inspected. If it's a good vendor, they will make it right if you get a box of duds from those dates. Bottom line is, If the price is right and the vendor is someone I trust, I'll buy 99's and 00's.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
poker said:
The years of 99 & 00 years were a crapshoot due more to construction problems more than anything else. Plugged cigars were a plague back then due to Habanos SA focusing more on quantity than quality.
I had a lot of 99 and 00 cigars that drew ok, but the blend or tobacco quality was just awful. Overall I would agree with you though, more plugged cigars for sure. I bought a box of SLR Londsdales in 99. Only 6 of the 25 cigars were not plugged! They were 100% legit. I did get them replaced. I was almost afraid to buy cigars that were not EMS in 99 and 00, which really sucks because of the price!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Fredster said:
... Bottom line is, If the price is right and the vendor is someone I trust, I'll buy 99's and 00's.
I'd buy any year! but with cigars smoking very nicely anywhere between '75 and 2005 that's a 30 yr spread, and for 99 and 00 that had a higher ratio of problem cigars, IMO why take the risk when there are so many years with less risk ratio?

Special made Havanas such as the ones Bruce mentioned do not fall in the category of the regular production Havanas and regardless of year, obviously more care and select material went into their production.

After all I said above, if a trusted vendor offers me a box of 99 or 00, I'd probably buy it - defying logic - cause when it comes to cigars, I'm just a lowely hoe-r :confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
texasaero said:
Experience tells me that even '01 and '02 were inconsistent. Some good ones. Many Ho hum.
very true....I've had some bad experiences with a few boxes from those years along with some extremely good ones. I guess those are the breaks sometimes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts