Cigar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Test Subject
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here buying Gold or Silver as a hedge against the recession/depression and coming inflation.. Just wondering ..I am thinking of it but don't know much about it..

Jerry in Minnesota.

· Registered
401 Posts
I bought a few pounds of silver a few years ago at $8. it got up to $19, but I didn't sell it. I like to keep a little around, why not. If I never need it, I can give it to the Grandkids, they would get a kick out of it.
Vinnie

· Registered
1,601 Posts
Anyone here buying Gold or Silver as a hedge against the recession/depression and coming inflation.. Just wondering ..I am thinking of it but don't know much about it..

Jerry in Minnesota.
Yes, I have, although it wasn't recently - my purchases were back when gold was 600-oz and silver was 10-oz. Gold typically tends to keep pace with inflation, and that is where I usually trust it to end up. When I look at gold, silver, real estate, or any other "durable" commodities buy with permanence, I first check to see if the market is running hot by beating the rate of inflation, or if it is cold with low or negative returns.

Gold, for better or for worse, has an inflation-adjusted value of about 2200.00/oz, based on the price of gold prior to Nixons debasement. There are some that say gold has a long way to go up, others that think the market is a bit overheated. Demand for physical bullion is at an all-time high, and it can be hard to find gold and silver to keep stashed just-in-case. Never take paper, e-shares, etc. Always hold the physical bullion.

Also, dont rely on spot price to accurately reflect demand. Check eBay and see what people are actually paying for bullion. I use Kitco - Gold Precious Metals - Buy Gold Sell Gold, Silver, Platinum - Charts, Graphs, Prices, Quotes, Gold Stocks, Mining Stocks, bullion dealers for base and precious metal reference, there are several other good sites out there if ya search a bit (or link from Kitco). Dont buy into everything the gold bugs say - they are in a perpetual state of negativity for the most part, but some are very insightful (names withheld).

That said, I would purchase silver and palladium now, and rhodium if you can find it. Silver is still a bit cold. Palladium (and close relative platinum) are important catalysts that will find their way into all kinds of new automotive applications. Rhodium topped out at 9500.00/oz, I think it is between 800 and 1000 nowadays.

Hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.