Cigar Forums banner

Germanus Humidor.

5K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  zcziggy 
#1 ·
Hi brothers and sisters of leaf!

I got a new Germanus humidor box which holds 50 CT. They say its made from Spanish cedar.

I got this last Wednesday, I started seasoning it using an 84% boveda pack. On Saturday i got a distilled water and gave it a quick wipe with the boveda in it. I did another wiping cycle on Sunday. Since yesterday it have been holding on 77%-78% with the 84% boveda inside it. I thought it should be holding something between 80%-82% minimum with the boveda pack, or am i getting something wrong? Should i keep seasoning it by wiping the walls with distilled water? Or should i stop? How do i tell if the box is ready to be introduced to my cigars?

Any comments are appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the fora.

Don’t wipe the walls anymore. There is no good way to speed up the seasoning process; wiping the walls can cause warped wood. Just leave that Boveda pack in there for a while and let the humidor work. The wood needs to absorb a lot of water and stabilize. This can take weeks.

Patience is the most important factor in seasoning a wood humidor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Waleed
#3 ·
Welcome to the fora.

Don't wipe the walls anymore. There is no good way to speed up the seasoning process; wiping the walls can cause warped wood. Just leave that Boveda pack in there for a while and let the humidor work. The wood needs to absorb a lot of water and stabilize. This can take weeks.

Patience is the most important factor in seasoning a wood humidor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for your response!

But I thought the original way to season a cigar box was by wiping the walls with distilled water.

By the way, how can I tell if the box is ready?

#4 ·
Never wipe the walls inside a wood humidor. A little distilled water inside a small container maybe. Best thing is the 84% Bovedas 2-4 weeks..Its really important to allow the SC to soak up all the RH possible. Next step is 65% bovedas to allow the RH to drop. Then add a few cigars every couple days. Even better is have the cigars you’re going to add in a Tupperware with a couple 65% bovedas for that 2-4 week period and you should be good to drop them in the Humidor. Ambient room temp is best around 65 degrees. Do the dollar test and insure the lid is air tight, all wood will loose some. Depending on where you live and with temps and Relative Humidity things will vary. In Wood I have to change Bovedas RH depending on winter and summer. This winter I went to Tupperware for the winter. Be sure also to get a digital Hygrometer. I recommend the Cigar Oasis Caliber IV. Amazon has for $23. They come set properly and can be adjusted if needed. If you want to insure as near perfect RH as possible get the one step calibration kit for $7.

I was using a govee and just dumped it went back to the Oasis because it was 14% off on RH. Sorry if I gave you too much information.

You don’t live in Franklin TN do you? Have a friend by the name of Waleed there.

#5 ·
Now I hate Youtube!

I have been watching so many so called “cigar professional” youtubers describing how to season a new cigar box by wiping the walls with distilled water! If this method destroys the box then shame on them!

Since I bought the box i have been storing my cigars in a Tupperware with cedar sheets from the original cigar boxes. I even wiped the sheets with distilled water. I have been opening and closing the Tupperware almost every day until the humidity dropped between 65%-70%.

I am using the Inkbird ITH-10 Digital Hygrometer, doing the salt calibration system right now. I was going to do the 6 hours calibration method and i should get the reading in two hours from now. Hopefully it will be something close to 75%. I also squeezed in the original analog hygrometer in the same container to see if it is possible to use it as well. I might go grab the one you mentioned if things turned out to be a far calibration.

Those youtubers and their 5 days seasoning process lol.

What a big world, i feel the lack of cigar knowledge already.

Thanks for all the information, I needed it!

And to answer your question, I live in London.

#6 ·
Now I hate Youtube!

I have been watching so many so called "cigar professional" youtubers describing how to season a new cigar box by wiping the walls with distilled water! If this method destroys the box then shame on them!

Since I bought the box i have been storing my cigars in a Tupperware with cedar sheets from the original cigar boxes. I even wiped the sheets with distilled water. I have been opening and closing the Tupperware almost every day until the humidity dropped between 65%-70%.

I am using the Inkbird ITH-10 Digital Hygrometer, doing the salt calibration system right now. I was going to do the 6 hours calibration method and i should get the reading in two hours from now. Hopefully it will be something close to 75%. I also squeezed in the original analog hygrometer in the same container to see if it is possible to use it as well. I might go grab the one you mentioned if things turned out to be a far calibration.

Those youtubers and their 5 days seasoning process lol.

What a big world, i feel the lack of cigar knowledge already.

Thanks for all the information, I needed it!

And to answer your question, I live in London.
Yes youtube is the worst source of information in most cases. Don't worry, you should be ok. I've learned a lot by my mistakes. Finding this community has been my main source of information for over three years now. There is a lot of excellent advice here, much better than I can provide.
It appears you have a good Humidor and no glass top is a huge plus!
Cheers Mate!

#8 ·
Patience my friend. Patience..

At the most a SLIGHTLY damp cloth to wipe away the sawdust. but compressed air or a puff or two depending on your lung capacity. I have the lung capacity of an old coal mine canary so I always use compressed air.

If a guy named @Ranger0282 advises you to put it in the sink and spray it.. don't listen to him. It's called the ranger method and it doesn't end well.. lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Yes, however...

The sliding doors are actually plastic and are in a snug felt-lined U-channel. I suspect there is less leakage there and more from the cabinet trays as they have no seal, it's just bare wood on wood when they rest in the main cabinet.

My humidors are in the master bedroom and the temp only varies between 68-71F at most and they are not rapid swings. Indoor RH plays a bigger factor I think (especially when I'm snoring at night!), at least for me in this region. I need to get an external hygrometer for the room to see how things are flowing. Having the active humidifier in the cabinet makes keeping the humidor's RH mindless and where it sits now is quieter than the watch winders next to it. BTW, the jewelry tree is my wife's.

#20 ·
Yes, however...

The sliding doors are actually plastic and are in a snug felt-lined U-channel. I suspect there is less leakage there and more from the cabinet trays as they have no seal, it's just bare wood on wood when they rest in the main cabinet.

My humidors are in the master bedroom and the temp only varies between 68-71F at most and they are not rapid swings. Indoor RH plays a bigger factor I think (especially when I'm snoring at night!), at least for me in this region. I need to get an external hygrometer for the room to see how things are flowing. Having the active humidifier in the cabinet makes keeping the humidor's RH mindless and where it sits now is quieter than the watch winders next to it. BTW, the jewelry tree is my wife's.
i was wondering about that jewelry tree...just did not want to say anything :grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.