Cigar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jun 9, 2:04 PM EDT

Man Sentenced for Smuggling Cuban Cigars

CHICAGO (AP) -- A lawyer was sentenced Wednesday to more than three years in federal prison for smuggling thousands of Cuban cigars into this country and selling them for a fat profit.

U.S. District Judge Ronald A. Guzman ordered Richard "Mick" Connors taken into custody immediately, despite a request that he be allowed to attend his daughter's wedding later this month. The judge said the former public defender is too familiar with ways to flee the country.

Connors was convicted in 2002 of smuggling, trading with the enemy, conspiracy and lying to a passport officer.

Witnesses testified that in the early 1990s he went to Cuba by way of Canada and Mexico almost monthly, bought cigars at $25 to $60 a box and sold them in the United States for up to $400 a box. He was arrested at the Canadian border in 1996 with 1,150 cigars.

Cuba has been under a U.S. trade embargo since the early 1960s.

U.S. citizens must have permission to visit Cuba. Authorized visitors may bring back $100 worth of goods including cigars for their own use but may not resell them in this country.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
With those prices, no doubt they were fakes.

:z

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am sure his "customers" here in the US are pretty pi$$ed off - not because they lost there "source", but because now they are finding out that not only were they getting screwed on the price, but they were also getting screwed on the cigars.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Your going to lower that S4.....I've seen pics, how much lower can you take it?????? You'll be shooting sparks out your a$$ if you go much lower :D

:z

·
Registered
921 Posts
Cigar smuggler sounds like an idiot to me. I hope he gets a nice 60 ring gage domestic right in the...
Poker, car sounds great. One day I will want to hear all the tuning mods and the final specs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts