Cigar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a DSR with a major food service distributor & our food show was this Wed. in OKC.

I always take a few sticks with me to hand out to the guys, or gals, that I know enjoy a cigar. Upon entering the food show, I had a bag with 5 cigars in it:
1. La Finca robusto
2. Macanudo Robust Lords (old blend)
3. Montecristo Club Cab. #30
4. Partagas Spanish Rosada St. Agustin
5. Carlos Torano 1916 robusto

The La Finca went to a manufacturer rep whom I call sometimes to chat & find out what he's been smoking. He still falls for the old "This box used to sell for $180.00, but you can get it now for the paltry sum of $35.00!" routine. He gets burned on a fairly regular basis, so I wanted to show him that you could buy a decent cigar for around a buck & not be spoonfed bs. This, IMHO, was the most productive gift of a smoke that I made that day.

The Macanudo Robust went to a broker rep that enjoys more mild cigars. He just started buying cigars about a year ago.

Three left & I gave our VP of marketing his choice. He jumped all over the Monte.

Two left. Our CFO snatched up the Partagas in such a manner that reminded me of a 5 year old on Christmas morning.

One left. The Torano 1916. I had run out of herfers & had it in the shopping bag that they give you to carry stuff at the show. I was beginning to worry that it might get damaged so started to think I needed to get rid of it quickly. I was walking by the Libbey glass/china/tableware booth, stopped & said to the guys there, "If I keep this in here much longer, its going to get smashed" & started to pull it out of the bag. One of the guys stepped forward immediately. He took it out of my hand like a junky would take a bag of heroin. The look on his face was rapturous. He held on to that bag like a drowning man holds on to a raft. I said, "Are you a smoker?" He said, "Used to be." I said, "What did you like to smoke?" Answer "Punch, Macanudo, that sort of thing." He then gave me a Libbey catalog & said pick out any set of 6 glasses in the catalog & I will send them to you. I said I didn't need payment, but wanted him to enjoy the cigar. I swear, if the guy had been a puppy, he would have rolled over on his back for me to scratch his belly! I have a rather large china order coming up soon, so I will be talking to him. I may just send him a nice sampler. The poor guy was starving!

A fun day. :D

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
REally great story!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Cool story.

Ctop

·
Registered
145 Posts
Great story.

It reminds me of one that happened to me a couple years ago on St. Patrick’s Day. I was at a local pub celebrating and started a conversation with some firemen at the next table. I lit up a stick and one of the older guys went crazy. He begged me to let him stand next to me and smell the cigar as I smoked it. He had stopped smoking about 5 years prior and you could tell how much he missed it. So I obliged him and he tanked me profusely. He also said I was welcome at the firehouse anytime I want to come down and smoke one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.