Cigar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've read more sites than I can count and am not getting any smarter on this...I have been part of this forum almost as long as I have been enjoying cigars (just over a year now) and it is time to expand my storage beyond the 100ct humidor I originally bought. (I know, many of you have a 100ct humidor just for your *weekly* supply!!)

I like coolerdors due to the apparent low cost to build and maintain. However, I think a dark glass front mini fridgeador (a.k.a. wine or soda cooler) would look great, but I have heard that fridges tend to promote the growth of mold more. I would think that within proper humidity and temp ranges, mold should not be an issue in any cigar storage, but then WTF do I know??? :D I am looking at a couple of small mini fridges which no longer work properly as cooling units, but would be great for cigar storage...

I would appreciate opinions/guidance from those LLGs who have direct experience with both kinds of storage strategies....

thanks muchly!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
kscotty,

I know you must have seen the tread on the Edison-a-dor setup by DaveC.

Here is the link just in case.

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5055

I bought a 30 bottle ct Haier and it works great. My guess you can put 20-25 boxes in it, depending on the size of the boxes. It is really easy to set up. I bought the wine cooler at Lowes for 268 bucks. I also got the timer there also. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Ctop

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
I have a question about the wine coolers. I would like to keep the temperture at 65 degrees, will the cooler stay at 65 degrees if the ambient temperture in the room is near 32 degrees? If I keep this cooler in my garage it would actually be a warmer 5 months out of the year, is that OK?

I would love to keep it in the garage, but if it is too much on the compressor, I'd move it inside in late fall.

Also, is 65 degrees the max. high temp.?

Thanks rns

PS I sent this letter out to a few mfgs., I'll post responses here.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Dave the wine cooler is just like a fridge. It keeps the inside at whatever you set it at. For example mine is at 65 degress. I don't know about the garage. I assume if it was 32 degrees in your garage it would still keep the cigars at 65, but I don't know. Mine is in my 2nd bedroom. My temp hasn't been over 66. My humidity is still fluctuating, but I need more Climmax media to control that (which I have ordered). I have been very pleased. 65 degress is the max temp. I don't think it would do anything to the compressor. If it was turning on and off a lot your electricity bill will be higher. But I don't know how much. I haven't gotten a bill since the cooler has been hooked up. But I should be getting one soon. I have really noticed how much better my cigars are burning. Hope this helps a little.

Mike

·
Definitely not a puff fan
1,804 Posts
relaxnsmoke said:
I have a question about the wine coolers. I would like to keep the temperture at 65 degrees, will the cooler stay at 65 degrees if the ambient temperture in the room is near 32 degrees? If I keep this cooler in my garage it would actually be a warmer 5 months out of the year, is that OK?
I don't think that will work. As far as I know the unit would have no mechanism by which to add heat to the interior - only remove heat.

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
coppertop said:
Hope this helps a little. Mike
Damn, when are you guys going to quit finding ways to make me spend $$!
Everything was fine last summer, then this...... :c Seems like every other day somebody comes up with a great idea how to spend a few cool hundred. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! My trigger finger is flinchin', I'm either a few minutes away from a coolerdor, or a few days....Damn! :w :fu :w

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
LeafHog said:
I don't think that will work. As far as I know the unit would have no mechanism by which to add heat to the interior - only remove heat.
I think LH is right. If it has a compresser it will only take heat out. A peltier (sp) unit is needed to keep temperature either above or below ambient temp. If I remember right, someone was looking into building some a few months ago.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Dave I would just keep theunit inside. Any room in the kitchen or master bedroom? Or the garage during the hot months and indoor during the cold. I just wouldn't want to keep moving it.....they are pretty damn heavy.

Ctop
(Mike)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
My pleasure kscotty

Ctop

·
-
11,412 Posts
mike, i take it you went home and are doing the same thing i'm doing after that BS poker night...

y'know, some people are good at poker, some are lucky... i won't say any more, but i think we should play some regular poker from now on, to week out the "lucky bastage" the past 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Greg I am all about that.........even though I did have a good night. But that won't happen again.

Ctop

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
relaxnsmoke said:
PS I sent this letter out to a few mfgs., I'll post responses here.
Unit will not work under said conditions. 65 degrees faranheit is the warmest.

Subject: Fw: Wine Cellars inquiry from haieramerica.com

Responses are coming back.....so far 100% confirm the obvious. :rolleyes: I'm surprised they actually pay me at work....... :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.