Cigar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Well, I was all set to pull the trigger on a nice cabinet-style humidor when reality set in. Mrs. Motortown would throw a shitstorm of epic proportion :bx as soon as she laid eyes on an Avallo in my den. Now I'm not whipped, mind you, but I do enjoy keeping peace around the house (there's a pun in there somewhere!). I'll grab one eventually, but for now it's "Plan B".

I tried pulling up some old threads on setting up a decent fridge-ador, but didn't have much luck. I'm going to start looking at moderately-priced wine units, and go from there. What do I need to know for setting one up? What should I be aware of, and most importantly, how do I attain temp and rh in the mid to high sixties?

Thanks to all the LLGs out there for any and all help! As always, it's greatly appreciated!!

John

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
John,

You may want to PM IHT or DaveC, they both have setup wine chillers as humi's. I am interested in this thread also, I am going to setup a wine chiller pretty soon.

From what I hear, the 65% climmax media and fans is all you need. Fans mounted near the top will help circulate air and I also heard it helps reduce condensation in the summer (when the temp inside is a lot cooler than the outside temp)??? Make sense?

I'll keep an eye on this thread, let me know how it goes!

·
-
11,412 Posts
john, i PMed you back and will give you a ring later on.
it's super easy. you could follow DaveCs link to his CW gallery for his set-up pics.

all you'll need is:
wine chiller that has a temp setting of 65*F (the Haiers say they go up to 60, but they actually go up to 65)
1 lb of climmax media (if it's bigger than 5 cu. ft. inside, you'll need more)
1 cheap pair of knee-high panty hose (maybe $1 if you're picky like that)
1 computer fan from radio shack
1 ac/dc converter from radio shack
1 digital outlet timer to plug your fan (ac/dc converted) into.

coppertop and I got ours from a LOWES home improvement store. they are Haiers that are either 30 or 42 counts... i'm thinking mine is a 30 count, i can't remember. i say, go for the 42, wish i would have (not that i'm short on space yet - like DaveC and his TWO that are full plus some).

if you want to look at other types, check out BEVERAGEFACTORY.COM. those are just the Haiers, and their prices are higher than what i paid at Lowes for mine. i think my 30 count only cost me 260. so, your setup, after all is said and done, should only run you about 310, depending on the timer you get.

mine is below... the bright pink things are the nylons i used, cuz i'm crazy like that.

·
-
11,412 Posts
i thought you were gonna get the one that guys getting rid of on CW? he's got, what, a 52 count that his wife didn't like???? :bx

my fan is on the bottom, by the drip hole where the wire runs through.

1f1fan said:
John,

You may want to PM IHT or DaveC, they both have setup wine chillers as humi's. I am interested in this thread also, I am going to setup a wine chiller pretty soon.

From what I hear, the 65% climmax media and fans is all you need. Fans mounted near the top will help circulate air and I also heard it helps reduce condensation in the summer (when the temp inside is a lot cooler than the outside temp)??? Make sense?

I'll keep an eye on this thread, let me know how it goes!

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Mine is smaller than IHT's & is a Sunbeam. I was lucky enough to find a surplus/discount outlet that had em for under $50. Mine works, but I have it unplugged with some passive media in it (2 jars on the back shelf with 50/50 in them). It is the ambient temp of the room.....70-71 degrees & the rh has been running 69-70%. I have 2 digital hygrometers in it.....one at top & one at the bottom.
So, counting the hygrometers, I've got about $100 in the whole outfit.
I may have to do some adjusting when spring & summer comes along, but have been very pleased so far with the performance, & it does look pretty cool in my office. The 72 qt plastidors, on the other hand, look like sh!t, but do the job.
BTW, it holds 11 boxes.
What is the point of me saying all this?
I guess I'm saying if you can keep the temp fairly steady, then you might not have to have one that even runs. Maybe you can pick up one with a bad compressor for next to nothing.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
IHT said:
i thought you were gonna get the one that guys getting rid of on CW? he's got, what, a 52 count that his wife didn't like???? :bx
My wife didn't like it either!?!?!?

She likes the one you have, so I'm going to get the 42 count unit with the smoked glass front.

The one on CW is a great deal, I like that one too....the stainless and glass font looks nice...plus its bigger.

Her thinking was....after a while I will get bored or need a bigger one (smart woman) so she will have whatever I get now in a year or two to store wine in. She has a point, plus she "pre-authorized" the purchase of something new and bigger in a year or two....now I just need to get it in writing!

·
-
11,412 Posts
1f1fan said:
plus she "pre-authorized" the purchase of something new and bigger in a year or two....now I just need to get it in writing!
can't beat "pre-authorized" purchases, can ya? and you've only been married less than year? you're almost trained!!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Sounds like your a lucky man 1f1!!! I just built a 13' bar and was wanting to install a nice wine cooler. We don't drink wine, so I'd thought after a couple months I could turn it into my personal "Fridge-ador. The wife saw through my intentions and shot me down pretty fast. So now I'm working on another plan. Told her if I had a nice looking Fridge-ador I would be able to get rid of those ugly cooler-dors sitting in the corner of the bedroom!! Maybe this idea will work..... :r

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
dadof3illinois said:
Sounds like your a lucky man 1f1!!! I just built a 13' bar and was wanting to install a nice wine cooler. We don't drink wine, so I'd thought after a couple months I could turn it into my personal "Fridge-ador. The wife saw through my intentions and shot me down pretty fast. So now I'm working on another plan. Told her if I had a nice looking Fridge-ador I would be able to get rid of those ugly cooler-dors sitting in the corner of the bedroom!! Maybe this idea will work..... :r
Next time she says anything about the coolers just agree to get rid of them. Then go to www.cigarsolutions.com and check out the Avallo cabinets Ron sells. If you're lucky she will let you pull the trigger on one....if not tell her the next best (and much cheaper!) solution would be the wine chiller.

I've found if I aim high (top $$ humi) and have reasonable expectations (a wine chiller) I can usually can get what I want without getting in too much trouble. Plus having a wife that gets you a box of Torano Tribute Robusto (Mad) for Christmas doesn't hurt :cool: Yes I am a luck man....

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I would say your lucky!!!!! Mine doesn't like to contribute to my bad habits as she calls them.
I know what you mean about asking for more than you really want.....that's a good trick. It might even work out that this spring I can tell her, "honey, I think your right....I don't need a new humi instead I need more excersize so I'm going to need a new set of golf clubs!!!
So I'll either get a new set of Ping G2's for $500 to $800 or a new humi at about half that!!!

:r

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Do I hear a whip lashing somewhere in the background in here? :D Unfortunately (or is it really?) I run the finances of the house and I have to control myself when it comes to my new hobby. I know wether or not to pull the trigger. So my biggest problem is actually myself. I have been thinking of getting a fridge-ador myself. I like your IHT. It looks sweet!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
motortown said:
Hi Folks,

Well, I was all set to pull the trigger on a nice cabinet-style humidor when reality set in. Mrs. Motortown would throw a shitstorm of epic proportion :bx as soon as she laid eyes on an Avallo in my den. Now I'm not whipped, mind you, but I do enjoy keeping peace around the house (there's a pun in there somewhere!). I'll grab one eventually, but for now it's "Plan B".
Well boys, "Plan B" has been abandoned. After much discussion and cigar smoking with the guys at the cigar shop, I went ahead and ordered an Avallo. :D I went with their 1200 Deluxe model, as opposed to the bigger model (that I thought might've done me in at home). I've wanted one of these guys for a while now, so I thought, "what the hell?".

Matt from Avallo has been absolutely great! He was extremely helpful, took the time to really listen and qualify me, and answered all of my questions. He didn't knock the other guys in his field, and even suggested one or two of his competitors when talking about "truley custom" cab-style humidors. After dealing with Matt a few times over the phone, I felt very comfortable and confident in placing my order. Now all I have to do is wait two weeks! I'll post some pics when I get it set up.

I wanted to thank all the LLGs who offered advice & suggestions on getting a fridge-ador going. I was getting pretty geeked about setting one up, too, and even had a little fun beating a guy up on price at an appliance store! :bx :r I'm pretty happy with the way things worked out, though. Thanks again for all of the help!!

John

·
-
11,412 Posts
anyone know what this sound is?

"THUNK - THUNK!!"

johns nuts have finally fallen! i'm so proud of him. normally these things happen in the womb a few weeks before birth, but ol' john had to wait until he was in his 93rd tri-mester..... ;)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Congrats! Can't wait to see your new toy. I suspect I'll eventually get a wine-cooler-ador, since I live in the desert and it would cost too much to keep the house at 70 during summer days while no one is home. Single pane windows and crappy insulation don't help.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IHT said:
anyone know what this sound is?

"THUNK - THUNK!!"

johns nuts have finally fallen! i'm so proud of him. normally these things happen in the womb a few weeks before birth, but ol' john had to wait until he was in his 93rd tri-mester..... ;)
:r You bastid! :r

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
NO --- don't want to see the ginsu pictures, just your smokes in their new home. I got a bumper sticker from Ms Galaga yesterday

NOTICE

I Married "Mrs. Right"

I Just Didn't Know that

her Middle Name was Always

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.