Cigar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read old threads, searched multiple forums, and still missing something:

I converted a freezer to a freezerdor. Hooked up a Johnson Controller at 66 degrees through a hole in the freezer. Caulked the temp probe hole shut.

I then cut holes in my wife's Tupperware container(she was thrilled) and inserted a 12" x 4" block of wet oasis, about half saturated with 50/50 solution from Thompson Cigar (15 minutes from my home). Couldn't locate a sheet of spanish cedar, so I loaded 12 old empty cigar boxes to help stablize humidity.

Digital remote temp/hygrometer from Radio Shack, so I can watch things without opening the freezerdor.

Temperature control is great, about 4 degrees variance.

Humidity runs 87 to 97% after three days!!!! I installed another digital hygrometer to check, they give identical readings.

I pulled the oasis out for a day into a low humidity room to evaporate some moisture, and had to towel down the freezerdor because it was dripping inside. No change.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Heartpumper

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I don't have a freezador, but I have stored cigars in a tupperware container with a block of floral sponge. What I have found is that if you soak the sponge too much it really puts out too much humidity. All of my cigars turned soggy.

Perhaps you should check how much you soaked your wet oasis or use a smaller block.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, it's a huge block, soaked about halfway with 50/50 solution because I thought that might help soak up more water.

I ordered two pounds of Climmax media, the shipment is overdue.

Heartpumper

·
Definitely not a puff fan
1,804 Posts
Heartpumper said:
I ordered two pounds of Climmax media, the shipment is overdue.
That should do the trick. 1lb climmax per 5 cubic feet.

Of course, you should also keep it stocked to the gills with premium cigars, it's far more efficient that way. At least that's what I tell my wife! :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
txmatt said:
The climmax media will take care of your problems I am relatively certain.

If you mixed your own solution go 75 PG and 25 H20 until the beads arrive. Others are right about oversaturating the floral foam; if its too wet the PG won't be able to absorb excess humidity.

Matt
When I set a block of Oasis it takes a few days to settle, apparently the PG forms around the water. It may be only a few days but I allow about a week before I expect the block to start regulating correctly.

I'd also be suspicious of premade solution, not that it has any real basis in fact, that's just me...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice.

Hmm, maybe the premade humidifier solution is the problem. It's the first time I've purchased this product from Thompson's. FYI, I don't buy cigars there, but they have pretty good humidor deals, and their location is convenient.

I pulled the oasis and the empty cigar boxes. Condensation had dripped on some of the boxes, soaking an empty Partagas EL #1 box. Now it has water stains! There was so much water it pooled on the floor of the freezerdor.

Climmax media has not arrived yet. When it does, I'm going to ditch the oasis and start from scratch.

If all else fails, we're replacing our kitchen cabinets. Included is a built in wine cooler from VinoTemp. I'm inclined to reserve some wine bottle space for boxes of cigars, and Climmax media. Can wine bottles and cigars coexist in the same cooler?

Heartpumper

·
Registered
100 Posts
You simply have way to much media in there.
I have a 20 sq foot freezer and it only takes a small unit of foam to keep it right for months

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mdman,
Thanks for your expert input.

It seemed logical that the more media available to suck water out of the air, the better. I'm going to let the freezer dry out, and start over.

Heartpumper

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.