Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.....

I have maxed out my two wineadors and have overflow into a cooler and was looking at different options for increasing storage.

Goal is to consolidate storage, aesthetics, easy maintenance and cost effective.

Ruled out coolidors and tupperdors as I live in Texas and temp is an issue as well as size and looks

Multiple wineadors is out due to cost, space and lack of consolidation.

Aristocrat or similar furniture style cabinet humidors are ruled out due to cost and the fact that it cannot be repurposed if I choose not to continue this hobby in the future.

Did a lot of research and asked a lot of questions and found out about the freezador- have to thank a lot of people, especially daboose from another forum.

The general principle is to have individual airtight containers holding 12-20 boxes of cigars each with their own humidifcation system stored in a freezer with external temperature control set to 65F. I choose manual defrost as there should not be any frost buildup when the temp is set to 65F and I did not want auto defrost cycling messing with the interior climate.

The advantage of the above system is that each individual container can be maintained at a different Rh based upon your smoking preferences for a particular marca or origin.

To monitor the setup, in addition to each airtight container having a hygrometer, I am going to have a data logger placed in the freezador with continuous monitoring of temp with alarms set for min and max temp so that I do not have to open the freezador frequently to eyeball temp and humidity.

For humidifcation, I am going to use couple of 65 Rh Boveda packs in each container and am also going to experiment with some KL in different areas of the freezador to see if it makes any difference. The idea is that since this is for long term storage, I will not be popping in and out of the individal containers so the Bovedas should last for a long time. I will be experimenting with KL and beads as well.

I am going to post links for the items I ordered as well as general setup instructions andwill keep this thread updated with the data logger info. Hopefully, this will be of use to some.

Freezer: Sears.com

External temp controller:

Containers: Clear Weathertight Totes | The Container Store

Humidification: https://www.amazon.com/Boveda-65-Percent-Humidifier-Dehumidifier-12-Pack/dp/B00CPPG228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472395192&sr=8-1&keywords=boveda+65

Hygrometer: Zederkoff Square Hygrometer - Black (#2399405) - CigarBid.com

I should have all of these in the next week or two and will update this thread.

Feel free to post questions or comments.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I applaud you for looking into this and I'll have to read further on your findings & future experience with this. (I also live in an area where it can get very hot in the summer.)

I read "freezer" and "65F" and got a = "Big ? " but that might be answered with further reading on my part.

Thanks for posting this !

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
The only things I would suggest are make sure the containers are air tight and you might want to consider the Xikar Puro-Temp system with two or three sensors to monitor humidity and temperature. (Lifetime warranty.) Looks like you'll be able to store a lot of smokes!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
@selpo - why a freezer instead of a frig ? I ask because I'd guess that used refrigerators would be easier/cheaper to find than used upright freezers. In our area, people tend to keep their freezers and don't care all that much about their looks. They often are in a utility room or in the garage.
I'm guessing this has something to do with the defrost function.
Thanks !

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like it will be a great storage system. Just curious as to why both the SensorPush and the Zederkoff?
The sensor push is for just monitoring the temp and data log it with alarm for min and max. I don't think I will be maintain uniform humidity of 65Rh in the freezer, that is why I am going with air tight containers with individual humidity maintenance and control, hence a zederkoff in each container.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@selpo - why a freezer instead of a frig ? I ask because I'd guess that used refrigerators would be easier/cheaper to find than used upright freezers. In our area, people tend to keep their freezers and don't care all that much about their looks. They often are in a utility room or in the garage.
I'm guessing this has something to do with the defrost function.
Thanks !
The main reason to use a freezer is for the added insulation and cooling capacity and when you use an external temp controller and set it to 65F, the condenser is not going to cycle off and on as much as a fridge, helps reduce fluctuation in humidity and will last longer.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only things I would suggest are make sure the containers are air tight and you might want to consider the Xikar Puro-Temp system with two or three sensors to monitor humidity and temperature. (Lifetime warranty.) Looks like you'll be able to store a lot of smokes!
Thank you, each air tight container will have its own hygrometer. If done right, it should hold about 100 boxes.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't have any questions, but I'm excited for you. This is something I've been considering myself for some time. Separating temp control and rh balancing makes things more stable.
Thank you, I hope this works.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The sensor push is for just monitoring the temp and data log it with alarm for min and max. I don't think I will be maintain uniform humidity of 65Rh in the freezer, that is why I am going with air tight containers with individual humidity maintenance and control, hence a zederkoff in each container.
Ahh, makes perfect sense. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had to hit the follow this thread tab on this one. I excited to see how this works out for ya. Please post lotsof pics on your progress and thanks for sharing this great project with us.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk
Thank you! All the stuff are in and set up! Just placed my first storage box of cigars in and so far so good! I will definitely post pics and instructions to make it easy for anyone else to do it along with a cost breakdown as well as weekly updates.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thank you! All the stuff are in and set up! Just placed my first storage box of cigars in and so far so good! I will definitely post pics and instructions to make it easy for anyone else to do it along with a cost breakdown as well as weekly updates.
I have a large chest freezer that doesn't work amymore. Was thinking of turning it upright and installing shelves. It would need some ventilation and other stuff but maybe it would be doable.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So....
The freezer came in on Tuesday and set it up in the garage. I had received the Johnson control A419 earlier and had it set up already to temp of 65F with a differential of 1 degree, which means it will kick the freezer on if the temp reaches 66F inside.

Ran the temp probe thru the hinge side of the freezer door and stuck a few Command cord organization clips to the inside wall of the freezer and plugged the power cord to the outlet in the A419.

Initial temp inside the freezer was about 90F and cooled down to 62F pretty quick. I had the sensor push Bluetooth enabled temp and humidity monitor/data logger right on the middle shelf of the freezer.

I had it in my wineador for a week and made sure it was calibrated correctly. Noticed that the temp sensor of the A419 was off by about 3F and so raised the set temp to 68F and monitored for a day.

The humidity inside the freezer fluctuated between 80Rh when it was off to 60Rh while running but the temp was pretty steady, 65-67F. I tried a few trays of KL but did not make a difference.

I filled up a 41.2qt Iris airtight container with my cigars and surprisingly, it held 20 boxes- granted some of them were 10 count. I placed them upright and labelled each of them at the top with the name, box code and yr so it will be pretty quick in and out of the box when needed. Made a master list of what is in each container as well.

I went with this container as I wanted to maximize use of space inside the freezer and this has dimensions of tad under 24 x 18 x 8 and with freezer shelf dimensions of 26 x 18.5 x 9.5, it was perfect. Placed the sensor push inside the container and placed it in the top shelf of the freezer with 3 Boveda 65Rh packs. Initial readings were 74F and 65Rh and after being in the freezer for about 4 hours- steady at 66F and 65Rh.

Just placed my second container of cigars in this morning - mostly cabinets and this holds 19 boxes.
The freezer can hold 4 41.2 Qt containers and 1 63 Qt container and so should be able to store 100 boxes comfortably.
I am thinking of getting a sensor push for each container and that way, I will not have to open the freezer to check the humidity.

I am going to Velcro the temp sensor to the side of the freezer and add some command cord management clips to the outside as well.

I will post weekly readings for a couple of weeks and hopefully, this should be stress free large storage for hot and humid climates.

The total cost will be right at $1000 including the 4 more sensor push sensors.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.