Cigar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I was just reading The Pass with No Name thread and saw this quote by DonJefe ....

"You entered 0303 3430 0014 8468 467
There is no record of that item. If it was mailed recently, information may not yet be available. Please try again later.
Is this not the biggest waste of 45 cents you ever seen? The package will probably get delivered today and the PO has no record of it. Priceless."

Now I couldn't agree more. I also have received a couple of packages lately from a couple of fellow gorilla's where they have paid the extra .45 cents for this service. So here's the deal. If you go to....
https://sss-web.usps.com/ds/jsps/ds_labelInfo.jsp and print out your shipping label online they will give you the delivery confirmation for free. Why pay for a half-a$$ service when you can get it for free?
Just thought I would pass that along...... MocoBird

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
MocoBird said:
Hey everyone,
I was just reading The Pass with No Name thread and saw this quote by DonJefe ....

There is no record of that item. If it was mailed recently, information may not yet be available. Please try again later.
Is this not the biggest waste of 45 cents you ever seen? The package will probably get delivered today and the PO has no record of it. Priceless."

Now I couldn't agree more. I also have received a couple of packages lately from a couple of fellow gorilla's where they have paid the extra .45 cents for this service. So here's the deal. If you go to....
https://sss-web.usps.com/ds/jsps/ds_labelInfo.jsp and print out your shipping label online they will give you the delivery confirmation for free. Why pay for a half-a$$ service when you can get it for free?
Valuable info Bird-man,I'll pass that on to the Mrs,since she does our stogie mailings..
Thanks

·
-
11,412 Posts
what do you use to stick it to the parcel? i don't have those cool things the post office has to stick to the package....
do we have to go out and buy sticky printing paper?

·
Registered
904 Posts
IHT said:
what do you use to stick it to the parcel? i don't have those cool things the post office has to stick to the package....
I believe you can get them at the Post Office, IHT I'm not sure wether there is anything at Staples that can be used.

Has anybody out there used this format?

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
IHT said:
I'll ask the wifey when she gets in from work..

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Here's the deal... funny, I was just talking to the lady at the post office about this the other day.

All you need is an Internet connection, your home or office PC and a laser or quality inkjet printer.

Go to the Click-N-Ship website (https://sss-web.usps.com/ds/jsps/ds_landing.jsp)and click on the "Sign Up" link under the Register Now information on the right-hand side of the page.

Labels can be printed on 8 1/2" x 11" paper and glued or taped securely to the package. Self-adhesive labels may be purchased online.

Use your home or office scale or order one online with an easy link to The Postal Store

Here's the link for the FAQ's..

http://hdusps.esecurecare.net/cgi-b...DE9OTImcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9OTYmcF9wYWdlPTI*&p_li=

I hope these url's work and this helps. Looks like a great deal to me. We need to get a scale and we'll have to tip our mailman good for taking all these packages for us at Christmas.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
To be fair to the post office, it is not a tracking number, only a delivery confirmation. If the post office doesn't scan it when it is recieved (50/50 if they do or not) then there will be no record until it is delivered when it is scanned then.

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Even if you stand there and make sure it's scanned no real information is provided. When you look it up it will show that it was scanned in whatever city you mailed it in with no further information available until it is delivered. I use it to remember who and what went out by clicking on the email reminder. You get an email when it gets delivered. But what the heck they give you the little boxes for free.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since my girlfriend is a real crafty person she has a sticker making machine called a Xyron, here's one on ebay....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31731&item=8173578059&rd=1

All I do is print out the label with no postage ( I have 3.85 stamps here to cover anything under a pound) and run it thru the sticker machine, slap it on the box and it's good to go.

....or you can just tape it down with clear packing tape.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
MocoBird said:
Hey everyone,

I work for the PO.. You didn't buy a tracking number you bought delivery confirmation. That's why it doesn't show up until it's delivered! Delivery had not been confirmed. Half assed? Where the HELL did I put my gun?
:gn

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have to say that I have the utmost respect and adoration for USPS. It's down right amazing to me that I can ship cigars to someone all the way across the country for $3.85 and get a post in two days from a BOTL letting me know they have received them in excellent condition and are excited about giving them a try.

I don't know about you but that beats the service and feeling I get after spending $5.99 on a value meal at McJack In The Taco King any day.

Thank you Radar.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
FunkyPorcini said:
I have to say that I have the utmost respect and adoration for USPS. It's down right amazing to me that I can ship cigars to someone all the way across the country for $3.85 and get a post in two days from a BOTL letting me know they have received them in excellent condition and are excited about giving them a try.

I don't know about you but that beats the service and feeling I get after spending $5.99 on a value meal at McJack In The Taco King any day.

Thank you Radar.
You, I'll let live.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Okay, I'm prejudiced here but.....
The Postal Service is designed to operate without profit without a fiscal loss. Their pricing is set by a Board of Postal Governors. The 1st Class Letter is the biggest bargain in the country. Take a letter to UPS, Fed-EX, or ANY other carrier and hand them your 37 cents and see how far you get. Every day I see billing and correspondence from UPS and Fed-Ex being mailed because even with their network, they can't touch what the PO does.

Every new administration gets pressured from the other guys to privatize the parcel end of the service. They claim unfair business practice etc.. But, the prices aren't as such because the PO makes a huge profit, it keeps mailing a package affordable for everyone in this country. UPS doesn't care what is affordable, and neither does Fed-Ex, they want a profit and the more the merrier. If the privatization ever happens, you'll be paying a lot more than 4.20 to unload that package of smokes and have delivery confirmed. It is the pricing at the PO that also helps keep the other carriers as low as they are. As long as they are reasonably close to the PO, they will get some of the business. If there is no package delivery from the PO to regulate those prices, hold on to your wallet. There are a few countries that have privatized 1st class letters as well, the report a few years ago had a stamp at 1.40 and if you wanted home delivery there's an additional monthly service fee. Can't afford the fee, come and get your letter.

Okay, I'm done now.

:sb

·
Registered
482 Posts
Radar,

How do you like working for USPS? One of the things I've thought about doing if I took a brake from my job is to become a carrier. I love to walk and I think it would be a great way to get to know a town.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
FunkyPorcini said:
Radar,

How do you like working for USPS? One of the things I've thought about doing if I took a brake from my job is to become a carrier. I love to walk and I think it would be a great way to get to know a town.
I've been at it for 17 years. I'm not a carrier, I work in Automation and spent some years in Computerized Forwarding Systems. It's unionized, so the pay and benefits are pretty good. UPS drivers make a little more and they have a better retirement program through the Teamsters. I think Fed-Ex pays their employees a little less than we make. Overall, like anything you do for that long, it has ups and downs. But I've never been one to keep a job I didn't enjoy to some degree and like I've said I've been there 17 years. I personally, like my job and take some pride in what I do, there are others who seem to be unhappy there. It's a big wheel and I'm a very small cog. If you are looking for schooling, the PO pays for college courses for people who are in management for any courses that will lead to a degree that will serve the PO. It's not the best job in the world, but certainly not the worst. I don't drive a Caddy or Vette, but my truck is an 04, and my kids have all had the option of going to college if they wanted (not that they all did). There's always been plenty of food in the house and enough left over for a cigar or two. For a simple boy from the Midwest, it's about as good as I can expect.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do understand that it is not a tracking number but only a confirmation of delivery. I send and receive a lot of packages around here via USPS. Most the time the person I’m sending the package to emails me that they have received it before the Post Office has even entered the information online. That’s where my criticism of the service comes from. So if I can get it for free….I’m there and telling everyone else about it. Read some other threads. I’m not alone on how I feel about this issue. Now that being said….As far as the USPS as a whole….it’s one of the best deals around. Hell with gas at 2.50 a gallon it a hell of a lot cheaper to mail something across town then it is to drive it there yourself. Overall USPS is a great deal, ithey just needs to work on a few things…..like not delivering my mail to my neighbor. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.