Cigar Forums banner

Four Questions For The Book Readers:

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  JasonI 
#1 ·
I have always loved to read, usually reading a dozen or so books a year on average. However, since I received a Kindle on my last birthday I am reading at least twice that number at this time. My questions are:

Which is the best Spy Thriller/Mystery Thriller, you've ever read, any era?
Which is the best WWII Combat book you've ever read?
Which is the best Sci Fi book you've ever read?

Finally, if you could recommend only one book, for someone to read, which book would that be?

#3 ·
The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)
Not sure, not my type of reading
Very difficult, but.....Time enough for love or the Cat who walks through walls (Heinlein)

For a very engaging story on the fantasy side of things try the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. About a wizard detective in chicago.

One other book I find myself re-reading over and over again is 1632 by Eric Flint.

#5 ·
I'll + 1 the Dresden files. I'll also add the Black Watch even though that is more fantasy; as well, so far Game of Thrones is solid as Im just finishing book one. For WWII I like Ambrose, Citizen Soldier is a good non-fiction. Sci-fi I'll reach back and say the Timothy zahn (sp?) Star Wars trilogy.

#6 ·

Anything by Alistair MacLean. Single book - The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes novel)

Don't really read that genre.

Tough one! Maybe not quite sci-fi, but The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (theme developing here) or The Songs of Distant Earth by Arthur C. Clarke.

Finally, if you could recommend only one book, for someone to read, which book would that be?

Ouch! Make it hard for me! There are a few on my list of only one book someone should read. That's because I'm OK with counting in ways that don't make sense mathematically.

Ahhhhhh - Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott.

No - The Black Rose by Thomas B. Costain.

No! The Lord of the Rings trilogy (and throw in the Hobbit)

There - 4 titles, 6 books - the one you need to read.

Did I mention David Copperfield by Charles Dickens?

#7 ·
OK John - time to give back.

Apparently you like your Kindle because you're reading more books now. So, which one do you have, what's the downside, would you get a different model if you had it to do over again?

Did I mention the Bounty trilogy by Nordhoff and Hall?

I love Zane Grey ...

#8 ·
OK John - time to give back.

Apparently you like your Kindle because you're reading more books now. So, which one do you have, what's the downside, would you get a different model if you had it to do over again?

Did I mention the Bounty trilogy by Nordhoff and Hall?

I love Zane Grey ...
Thanks to all so far for your input. Since the Kindle will store somewhere between 3000 / 3500 books, depending on size. I plan to make a list of the books I want based on Recommendations and then purchase them when there are sales.

Tritones,

I have the Kindle, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Pearl Display. I did not pick it, as I received it for a gift, however, as it turns out, it is the one I would pick now, if I were going to buy one.

It's just perfect in all ways that concern me, size, weight, features, battery life (10 to 12 hours) and so one. The screen is great and can easily be read in bright light, even sunlight. The only down side is that pictures do not show well in the black & white format. The only reason I will ever buy another model, is when they come out with color screens for viewing pictures, photos, etc. The only negative and it's not about the unit itself, is that it does not come with a case.

The cases can be very expensive, up to $50 or so but averaging around $30. Finally on the advise of a friend I bought one on eBay for $5.99 and $3.00 S&H. It's beautiful, all leather (real leather) and fits perfectly. I don't recall the vendor off hand but if your truly interested PM me and I'll check for you.

Whats also interesting about the Kindle is that you can subscribe to almost any magazine and/or newspaper and receive it monthly/daily on the Kindle. Of course the photos are then limited to the black and white format.

#9 ·
Thanks, John. Kindles are reaching the price/feature range that is getting my attention. Your experience is really helpful.

Most of the books I named, if they're available on Kindle, will probably be free or very cheap because of their age.

#10 ·
Which is the best WWII Combat book you've ever read? - Jackdaws, not really combat...but close, or Beyond Band of Brothers

Which is the best Sci Fi book you've ever read? A Wrinkle in Time or Left Hand of Darkness or Childhoods End

#11 ·
Thanks, John. Kindles are reaching the price/feature range that is getting my attention. Your experience is really helpful.

Most of the books I named, if they're available on Kindle, will probably be free or very cheap because of their age.
That's a very good point and I'll bet that most people (none Kindle users) are not aware of it. For those that do not already know. There are at least 100, possibly 200 and maybe more, Classic Books that you can upload for free. Also, Kindle as sales all the time when you can buy/download books that sell in the $10.00 range for $1.99 and $2.99. It's best to buy when on sale and store them for the future. A Kindle will store 3000 to 3500 books, depending on there size. I don't know anyone with that many books stored but I do one person who has very close to 500 books on his Kindle.

#12 ·
Which is the best Spy Thriller/Mystery Thriller, you've ever read, any era? Red Storm Risin or The Hunt For Red October - Clancy. I have not liked Clancy for some time but these were just top flight books.
Which is the best WWII Combat book you've ever read? Catch 22 - Heller
Which is the best Sci Fi book you've ever read? Not for me.
These Kindles are really blowing up. My mom uses hers almost constantly. Glad you found something like that that you like.

#14 ·
Holy shit, an Ivanhoe reference? Good times.

Anywho, I'd probably go with:

1. The Day of the Jackal - Frederick Forsyth
2. Got nothing here, sorry.
3. Probably Ender's Game for what I think of as Sci-Fi

Something you must read? I've been telling people for years to read the Song of Ice and Fire series... people are finally listening now that HBO is doing the miniseries - but seriously, ESPECIALLY if you haven't seen the TV show, read Game of Thrones.

#15 ·
Love my Kindle - check the top 100 free periodically for new releases. They are often free for a day/few hours. Also check publishers websites. Like scifi? Go to: Introduction - Baen Books NOW. Free full versions of more books than you can read in a while. Other publishers will soon follow suit. Also check the gutenberg project at Project Gutenberg - free ebooks for tens of thousands of free books.

Recommendations? I'm too voracious a reader - hard to pick a best, but here I go:

Thriller/mystery/spy book: See no Evil by Robert Baer. It's a memoir, not a novel, but read it - it's quite good.

WWII Combat book: I'm going off target here for the most important military book I ever read - it changed my life as a non-commissioned officer. Anyway, About Face by Col. David Hackworth.

Sci-Fi: I read a LOT of sci-fi and fantasy. Robert Zelazny and Michael Moorcock are perennial favorites, but Ringworld by Larry Niven and Dune by Frank Herbert probably top the list.

#16 ·
I second the Song of Fire and Ice books. I LOVE them and I'm not much for fantasy reading. If you do like fantasy, also check out the "Drizzt Do'urden books. Those are entertaining. The first 3 or 4 are my favs, but all are decent.

but Tritones, I know David Copperfield is a "classic", but I just did not like it. I actually preferred Great Expectations for a good Dickens book. That being said, I freakin worship Dumas and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Read The Count of Monte Cristo and the 3 Musketeers series. For Sir A.C Doyle, read all the Sherlock Holmes books.

Taming of the Shrew and the Merchant of Venice are my fav Shakespeare books. 1776 by David McCullough is a great non-fiction account of the year 1776.

One of my favorite fiction books "The Descent" by Jeff Long. Its a mix of "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and an explanation of our "demons" that a lot of religions have. Everytime I read it, I get something new out of it.

For action/adventure, check out Clive Cusseler's older books. All his older Dirk Pitt stuff is great. The new crap he churns out is not so good.

For a good detective novel, I love Robert B. Parker's series. All his books were great. He even wrote a couple of westerns that were decent.

I hope this helps you out.

#18 ·
I primarily read sci-fi and fantasy, so if you're looking for more books in those categories just let me know.
At one point I had 10 big cardboard boxes full of books ~ 400 that I ended up donating to my old high school. Wife and I had only been married for a short time and we just didn't have the room for them.
Giving them up was like losing my best friends.....

#19 ·
I'm a fan of Tom Clancy. I know there are some folks who don't like him but I always recommend "Without Remorse".

"A Bridge to Far" by Cornelius Ryan

It's a toss up between two Robert Heinlein books. "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" and "Starship Troopers"

If I could only make one recommendation I always recommend "Fahrenheit 451" and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.