Cigar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I look around and I see Opus X or AF Anejos or Davidoff's going for $25 plus. If you are going to spend $25 for a stick, why not just buy some ISOMs? Are these high priced domestics a waste of money or am I missing out on some great smokes here?
SB

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Your first assumption is correct sir. You are a beer 'cunnisewer,' correct? Let me ask you this; if you were to spend 4 bucks on a bottle of beer, would you spend it on a 'limited edition Bud Lite', or a bottle of fine Belgian ale:al

·
Registered
291 Posts
A touchy topic to some folks here, but Domestic's have come a long way. Besides the two already mentioned, a few other domestics are very fine smokes: e.g. PAM's, IMHO. As far as being worth the price that some of them command, we all have are personal limits.
As far as ISOM's, they are great cigars, but I have smoked several that I don't care for, and would not pay the price for.
Again, Taste is a personal thing. One man's great smoke is another's man's dog rocket.
:w

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Funny thing is the 3 most expensive domestic cigars I've smoked cannot compare to many of the mid-range domestic cigars. Any domestic over $120 a box is hard to justify.

I am really all over the map on cigars, my isom experience is weak, but Bolivars, Partagas and SLReys just kick ass all over any domestic cigar I've tried and are priced better than Opus, Davidoffs etc...it is pretty simple math.

Like emgjet, I have found a group of domestics I really enjoy. These cigars are consistantly great, well constructed and very satisfying. They are readily available and perfect for my budget. Everyone has a different criteria, but I agree, some of these Domestics are WAY overpriced. I'm lucky I've tried them and didn't like them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I know this may sound odd, but I don't smoke ISOM's because of the embargo.

Rest assured, I have a "rainy day fund" for the DAY the embargo is lifted. While awaiting that day, however, I enjoy the hell outta domestics (But concede that paying $25+ for a Zino Platinum Series, Opus X, or similar-priced cigars, is just retarded.)

-Quixote

·
Registered
419 Posts
At my vendor in Little Rock was pointed at an Opus X for about 12 bucks. Said what the hell. Wasnt that impressed. Now in Austin and came across a great beer, spirits outlet with a humidor and he had Opus X for 39.95 a stick. Half the box was gone so I guess it is what the market will bear. He also had a bottle of Belgiun Ale for almost 30.00 bucks for 750ml's. Almost bought the beer just to see if I could detect why it cost so damn much, but commen sense prevailed. Frank B

1 - 7 of 7 Posts