Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the basic difference between the maduro and natural wrappers and that the wrapper is supposed to greatly affect the body of the cigar.

Say you have two LGC full strength cigars. One has a natural wrapper and the other a maduro wrapper. Since they are both full strength, what will the major difference be?

I was under the imprssion that in general, milder cigars used natural wrappers and more full strength cigars used maduro.

·
Registered
949 Posts
That is not really true. There are natural and maduro in each strength category. The difference that I had noticed is that the maduro wrapper has a more earthy profile to it. It is sweeter and more earthy that a natural wrapper of the same cigar. owever this is not always true. You just have to try the differences.

The LGC's the maduro has deffinitely a more sweet earthy taste that the natural does. The Natural has a spicer more peppery flavor.

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts
My palates not that developed but, I like LGCs and have smoked the Wavells for a while now. I buy them in both wrappers and smoke them for different reasons. If I want a milder smoke that doesn't have a strong taste, kind of like coffee with lots of cream, I'll go to the natural. If I want an espresso like flavor with lots of punch, I go to the maduro.

I think that in most instances it's just that the maduro carries a stronger deeper flavor. I keep both around.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I agree 100% with kamikaiguy on this. Most of the time (there are exceptions) maduros have a mellower taste to them IMO, kinda a more subtle chocolaty taste. One good way to experience this is to smoke a LGC Serie R in Natural and then one in Maduro.

·
Registered
546 Posts
My experience has been that the maduro seems to be mellower, not as crisp, if you will, as the natural. Definitely agree with the earthy notes.

Grinch OUT!!!

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
(909) said:
I buy them in both wrappers and smoke them for different reasons. If I want a milder smoke that doesn't have a strong taste, kind of like coffee with lots of cream, I'll go to the natural. If I want an espresso like flavor with lots of punch, I go to the maduro.
Thats how I look at them. When people say they find maduro milder and sweeter I kinda scratch my head, maybe I'm out to lunch, but I find them stronger. My only dark wrapper cigars are Piranhas and the odd Onxy.

I think I need to do a side by side comparison soon haha.

·
In Mojita Mania
614 Posts
response in bold

Jeff said:
I know the basic difference between the maduro and natural wrappers and that the wrapper is supposed to greatly affect the body of the cigar.

First, I would not say that the wrapper "greatly" affects the body of the cigar. It is only one component, which when matched with a full bodied filler makes a cigar full bodied. What a darker wrapper can do is bring a mild cigar to mild to medium or a medium cigar to medium to full IMO.

Say you have two LGC full strength cigars. One has a natural wrapper and the other a maduro wrapper. Since they are both full strength, what will the major difference be?

If the filler and binder are the same a darker wrapper will add a little more body (or put a full bodied cigar "over the top") and it will usually add some sweetness or more spice in my experience. However, we must be talking about a solid maduro vs. a natural (colorado) wrapper here, because things can in my experience vary depending on what the exact wrapper classification being used is ie. claro, colorado claro, colorado, colorado maduro, maduro, oscuro.

I was under the imprssion that in general, milder cigars used natural wrappers and more full strength cigars used maduro.

Have had both maduro and natural that would dispute this impression in both directions, ie natural wrapped cigars that were very strong and maduro that I would consider mild

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Uh oh...be careful. If you ask how much flavor a wrapper imparts on a cigar you will get a hotter debate than any political bs.

In my opinion, maduro gives a sweeter, fuller, and more rounded flavor. This is just a generalization though, there will always be exceptions.

·
Registered
904 Posts
SeanGAR said:
So what about those who supposedly dye their wrappers? Is that common? Any impact on flavor?
I have heard of this especially during the boom period, but don't know of anyone doing it today. Onyx I know was suspected but proved otherwise. Can you be more specific, brand, type, etc.

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
This is what makes CS special.. Excellent question Jeff, and the responses. I learn something here everyday. I also think the maduro has a sweeter taste on most that I have tried.

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the guidance! :D I've got the pleasant task of doing side by side comparisons of maduro and natural wrapped cigars ahead of me. :w

Do what you love, love what you do.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Agree with all the educated apes. Always thought that the darker wrappers i.e., maduros were stronger cigars. Not necessarily so. Case's in point,.. La Flor Dominica chisels, Maria Mancini Magic Mountains naturals, both have a stronger flavor profile than their maduro counterpoints. Maduros are sweeter, the naturals are spicier.That being said I think the darker wrappers are usually stronger than the lighter wrapped cigars. Frank B

·
Registered
579 Posts
At the risk of redundancy, I'd say the maduro will be sweeter, rounder and generally easier to smoke ( especially for a beginner). I think maduros in general tend to interfere with the flavour profiles of their fillers. I like alot of maduros (PAMs and 1926s especially) but whenever I try their natural wrapper counterparts I get a more diverse set of flavours. In the case of truly legendary smokes like the Padron 64s or 1926s this is usually an acceptable trait. In the case of lesser smokes, this means I'm going to be tasting some flavours that I could do without and will probably have alot harsher of a smoking experience.

In summary, a maduro wrapper simply makes a given smoke smoother , rounder and sweeter, often functioning as a big band-aid on an otherwise fetid and festering pustule.

But that's just my opinion. :D :BS

Jeff said:

:BS

·
Registered
949 Posts
Magno

Interesting thoughts. I don't think I really agree though. However I have had similar experiences. I thought at first natural cigars can get harsh. I don't think that is the case.

A Cigar whether it is Natural or Maduro should not be harsh or not smooth. The maduro version is usually sweeter and less green because of the extra aging that is involved. The extrat aging lets the green-ness leave the wrapper. The process of aging the wrapper bring out the sugar in it. Hence the swetness of the maduro. The strength usually comes from the type of tobacco used in the filler.

I think if a cigar is harsh and i have had this experience with a few Padron '64 Natural Anni's. When I get them right after they ship from the factory. If they are really young they can be a little harsh. Sometime they have some Amonia smell to them and sometimes not. You can usually tell they are harsh because of the irritation in theback of your throat. You let them rest and the harshness goes away. I think a lot of lesser cigars have this problem as well. A natural cigar should not be harsh. It may have a peppery or a spicy flavor to it. But if it makes you want to spit and sorts of collects in the back of your throat and irritates it, that is not the wrapper that is usually a young cigar. It just usually needs to rest in the Humi a few months. So don't confuse Harshness with the difference in wrapper.

·
Registered
79 Posts
For an interesting comparison on what flavors a different wrap can do to a vitola, try smoking a Fuente 858 nattie, then the matty, then the SG, then the rosado, ( if you are lucky enough to have one).

The 858 filler is the exact same blend on all of these, merely paired with different wrappers.

My personal favorite is the SG, but it's a fun taste test to try.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.